New experimental technic with a muscle shirt

Discussion in 'Predator Anatomy (Costumes)' started by Pred Haster, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Pred Haster

Pred Haster Hunter

Hi guys !
    I decided to improve my muscle shirt. I used the classic Mr. Incredible Tutorial on a muscle shirt Punisher, but I'm not satisfied. Not quite natural, in my opinion.
    So I added some ribs with foam, and this time I redo the right shoulder with foam.
    Instead of latex, I decided to try black polyurethane sealant cartridge I spread and carved with my finger dipped in soap.
    Before the putty dries completely, I engrave the details of the skin.
    I will make more photos prochainnement to explain in detail how I proceed.
    Sorry for the poor quality of the photos. Many reflections with flash.
    I still have to remake the left shoulder and biceps with foam and cover with PU the shoulders and back.
    I hope my post will be understandable.
    It is a test because I do not know yet if once worn, it will be sufficiently elastic and comfortable, but I do know that once finished.

CkFh5v.jpg
    h0hsbl.jpg
    Bb7a8b.jpg
    hYbBvB.jpg
    Bb7a8b.jpg

LORD NEMESIS, Grim and predtrooper like this.
  2. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Elite Hunter

Looks pretty good, can't wait to see it painted!

Pred Haster likes this.
  3. Pred Haster

Pred Haster Hunter

Some progress today.
    As promised, here are the explanations of how I proceed:

Step 1 :
    I directly applied PU sealant to the part where I'm going to work (here right shoulder).
    LHMJQJ.jpg PoXuMw.jpg

Step 2:
    First, I moistened my finger with liquid soap. I spread and smooth the putty to give the overall shape I want.
    H3iXYF.jpg

Step 3:
    I let dry for about 20 minutes then I sculpe details of the skin with a special tool to clay.
    mRWM8D.jpg 8MGLzx.jpg

Here the details of the back (right side), I added latex claws I had in the back because I want to make a Wolf Predator skin.
    63uOO5.jpg J0XQ4z.jpg

Details of the right shoulder and right bicep (on going)
    matmiB.jpg RLLRgz.jpg

FkuX82.jpg

Grim, paitan, OldPredVA and 1 other person like this.
  4. paitan

paitan Hunter

Wow!! This is great!! This might well be the answer I've been looking for!! Can't wait to see the final result

Pred Haster likes this.
  5. Maniak

Maniak Hunter

Looks good, i wounder how well it will hold up? Does that stuff stay flexible once its fully cured?

Pred Haster likes this.
  6. Pred Haster

Pred Haster Hunter

For now, the right half is completely dry and seems to stay well flexible. I try not to put a too large thickness precisely for that.

LunaticNic likes this.
  7. spgfx

spgfx Elite Hunter

I used basically the same process to finish and add textures to my EVA foam armor. I applied the sealant the same way (by hand) an added some peaks and textures. It bonds the raw foam really good and after almost 2 years and 2 Cons it is still bonded to the foam and flexable. I did try a few products before finding one that worked. I have use this on quite a few products and also use it to coat my backer rod dreads.
    image.jpeg

I look forward to hearing your final results on how this works on a full suit especially if it holds and has enough flex to put the suit on and move around.

8. Pred Haster

Pred Haster Hunter

Thank you. I did exactly the same than you with my EVA foam armors for cosplay or LARP since few years. Like you I tried numerous products before finding the PU sealant.
    Now, I try it on my Predator suit. I will post some new pics tonight.

9. Grim

Grim Unblooded

Am I understanding right that sculpting on top of a stretchy cloth bodysuit can be an alternative to casting a latex skin from a mold? Hoping to go this route myself. Question: For heat reduction. Are you avoiding sealing the armpits and lower waist band? Also, is it a single piece body suit or a separate shirt and legging set? Newbie question, my apologies!

10. Isubomo

Isubomo Elite Hunter

That is correct Grim. Thin layer sculpting :) Heaps of members here have indeed gone this route, using different materials from latex to your multipurpose caulk adhesive as above! :D

Don't apologise! :) Again, it varies from member to member, but yes, most of them do. There are single pieces, like the huntress suit Team Wreav makes (if i'm not mistaken), and there are separate ones, each have their own Pros and cons, you just have to decide what works for you!

11. LORD NEMESIS

LORD NEMESIS Hunter

this might finally be what i'm looking for to win the battle against the problems my dreads are giving me