Young Xenomorph Queen costume

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Talk' started by HAL1138, Feb 16, 2015.

1. HAL1138

HAL1138 Hunter

With Wonder Con coming up next month we got the idea to try to beat Baby Predator from last year. Zoe, our lovely little 7 year old will be debuting her new costume on Saturday at the convention.

Here is her build.....

We are using the Deluxe Alien Queen figure from Neca as our model.
    NECA-Alien-Xenomorph-Queen.jpg

I started off with a cheap top army helmet as the base for the neck and head.
    toy helmet.jpg

I added padding to the helmet to keep it from sliding around on her head. Just used green foam covered in fabric. I will be adding a chin strap cup for her comfort so the weight of the head won't pull on her neck.

inside of helmet.jpg

Added a neck extension to the helmet using a cylinder of 3mm craft foam.
    neck extention.jpg

William projected an image of the head on oak tag paper. The length from mouth to tip of crown will be 37" long.
    head template.jpg

I glued six sheets of the 3mm thick craft foam together and will be cutting it out tomorrow. I will also be adding wire support to keep the crown from folding in on itself.
    foam board.jpg

2. HAL1138

HAL1138 Hunter

Added the head support ribs today.

P1050512.JPG

P1050514.JPG

The front of the head turned out a little too high so I will be trimming it down before adding the outer skin tomorrow. I also hope to work on the lower jaw.

3. HAL1138

HAL1138 Hunter

First skin is on. This is just the foundation for all the detailing so it wasn't important to have it all in one piece.
    skin.jpg

I also started the top of the mouth lips and inner gums. This is done with simple application of hot glue.
    unner gums.jpg outer lips.jpg

4. pred666pain666

pred666pain666 Veteran Hunter

this is gonna be so cool and adorable

5. HAL1138

HAL1138 Hunter

I tested the weight of the head tonight. Zoe says it is manageable. As far as additional weight, it will only be the lower jaw and outside crown that I will be attaching. The helmet is a little wobbly with the shifting of the weight as she moves, however I am confident that this problem will be solved with a Y shape chin support. If that doesn't work, I will make an attached hoodie that I zip her into that will hug her whole head and neck. Here is the movement test:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  6. tuskentrooper

tuskentrooper Unblooded

I want to see this desperately, but the Facebook link doesn't work...might be privacy settings.

7. HAL1138

HAL1138 Hunter

Sorry about that tuskentrooper... Its fixed now.

I'll be putting all future tests on Youtube from now on.

tuskentrooper likes this.
  8. KmikzeKen

KmikzeKen Hunter

This already looks amazing, I can't wait to see more!

9. guannihkoute

guannihkoute Unblooded

Oh my god this will be so cool.

10. HAL1138

HAL1138 Hunter

Took a couple of days off but really cranked out a lot of details tonight.
    First I put all the detailing in the under crown with hot glue stripes.
    P1050583.jpg
    Added rounded stripes to foam.
    P1050585.jpg
    Then a sculpted stripe for the spine of the crown.
    P1050587.jpg P1050588.jpg
    With any luck I'll be able to finish the rest of the inner detailing so I can add the outer crown tomorrow.

5 weeks to go!

guannihkoute likes this.
  11. KmikzeKen

KmikzeKen Hunter

You continue to impress, nice job with those details so far

12. venom13

venom13 Unblooded

This is going to be a great build good luck

13. HAL1138

HAL1138 Hunter

So I was planning on finishing the head today... wasn't even close. :p

Anyway, last week I cut out the rounded areas of the crown.
    P1050589.JPG
    I next heat molded the thin foam into the cut areas.
    P1050592.JPG
    P1050590.JPG
    Glued the trims pieces in. This ended up a little sloppy, but I didn't put much care into it considering the edges will be covered by the outer crown.
    P1050631.JPG

I added detailing inside the curved slots. Rounded foam inside the front slot.
    P1050659.JPG
    And just hot glue in the back slot.
    P1050654.JPG

Now for the work finished today...
    I set down a strip of foam with hot glue on the side front of the head. This will be peeking out of the outer crown that you will be seeing in the next update.
    P1050653.JPG
    I also added the outer side detailing to the wings of the inner crown.
    P1050660.JPG
    I also began working on the lower jaw today. I first started on a base.
    P1050629.JPG
    P1050630.JPG
    added a longer level for the protruding chin.

P1050633.JPG
    and a third level for the lip.
    P1050635.JPG

You can see the difference in lengths here...
    P1050638.JPG

I then added a thin strip to act as the gums for the teeth.

P1050639.JPG

Heat molded thin foam over the frame.. And added hot glue detail with a lower jaw henge.
    P1050643.JPG
    P1050649.JPG

I made the bottom detailing of the jaw out of the thin foam.
    P1050648.JPG

I made a change in the upper lip. After all the detailing was done on the front face the lip detail was sort of lost, so today I added a second piece of foam to add a little more dimension to it. I am happier with the result.

This is the before...
    P1050522a.jpg
    And now the added foam...
    P1050663.JPG

You can see in this last picture with the lower jaw that the upper lip sticks out more.

P1050665.JPG

Tomorrow I will hopefully add the outer crown and start work on the underside of the head, along with attaching the neck frame. I really need to push hard if I have any hope of finishing this in time for Wonder Con. 3 weeks... and I haven't even started on the body. Yikes!!!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  14. DMTDeadpool

DMTDeadpool Hunter

that.... is the cutest alien queen ever!!!!!

and hey... least she is not wanting to go as a Frozen character lol

15. HAL1138

HAL1138 Hunter

LOL... Actually DMTDeadpool, she does have an Elsa dress and loves the movie Frozen. But she also has a pirate fairy costume, loves Power Rangers, wears Spiderman shoes, adores My Little Pony, plays with Hot Wheels, Barbies, and castles with warriors. I am very proud to say that she is the perfect combo of both girly princess and awesome butt kicking warrior. She thinks its sad that some kids feel they have to limit themselves to either the girl or boy steriotypes.

cirianz likes this.
  16. DMTDeadpool

DMTDeadpool Hunter

Here here! Destroy the social boundaries of girls only playing with Barbie and dollies! Toys are for everyone.

17. spgfx

spgfx Elite Hunter

This is a great build to follow. I love use of the hot glue as details. It gives a really cool look. Thanks for all the update photos.

18. HAL1138

HAL1138 Hunter

Got the outer crown cut and attached today. I will still be perfecting the fit, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

I first use a very old piece of muslin fabric to drape over the head. It was more relaxed than paper would be, so very easy to get an pattern drawn up.
    P1050667.JPG

I then cut out the fabric pattern to double check the fit and make any necessary adjustments using tape and scraps of fabric.
    P1050672a.jpg

Next I put the pattern on the foam using chalk. (looks like an exotic mask) ;)
    P1050676.JPG

Attached the foam to the head and heat molded it a bit using the stove burner. This was clumsy, so tomorrow I will be taking it out side and using the heat gun. I forgot to take pictures of one step I did ( sorry about that). I applied strips of the thicker foam on the under crown that will be giving a curved look to parts of the upper crown once I properly heat mold it tomorrow. You can see the beginning of the curves on this last photo if you look close enough. It is a smooth ridge that sweeps from the center of the head and out towards the second "fin" of the crown.
    P1050680a.jpg

Maniak and LunaticNic like this.
  19. kithunter

kithunter Veteran Hunter

so much awesome in this ...loving it

Maniak likes this.
  20. Fang

Fang Elite Hunter

This is amazing so far! Can't wait to see it all finished.

21. HAL1138

HAL1138 Hunter

Sorry for the lack of updates. I'm working really hard to get this done by Saturday. Yikes... this SATURDAY!!!!
    This may be the last night of updates till after WonderCon. It takes too long and I need all the rest of the time for building. Next week I'll post more of the build.

Since we are planning on adding a working inner mouth, I started preparing the mouth pallet and inner jaw. I hollowed out the extra foam.

P1050683a.jpg
    Also cut into the upper pallet.
    P1050684a.jpg

P1050688a.jpg

With the dremel and a cone sanding bit, I made scoring details into the crown. It worked very well once I got the hang of it. If you plan on trying this, make sure you practice on a scrap of foam. Make sure you have a very steady hold on both the dremel and piece. go with the natural "pull" of the rotation.
    P1050690a.jpg

I was a little concerned with some added weight from the hot glue, so I cut into the under crown.
    P1050698a.jpg

P1050706a.jpg

Heat molded the thin foam to the under pallet and crown.
    P1050707a.jpg

For the under details of the crown I glued two pieces of the thicker foam together.

P1050710a.jpg

Then used the dremel to carve out the rounded edges.
    P1050718a.jpg

I used stripes of the thicker foam for the rounded lines that connect the "thorns" to the center of the crown. And added the hot glue lines.
    P1050712a.jpg

P1050757a.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  22. HAL1138

HAL1138 Hunter

The chest plate is just a simple vest design which closes in the back with a zipper.
    P1050735a.jpg

The front armholes were too open for my taste, so I added some moon crescent shapes to close it up. P1050737a.jpg

I heat molded a natural curve into the vest. This is very important to do on any piece that wraps around a part of the body. If you do not add this curve, you will put too much stress on the closure and the zippers or velcro will either pull off, or rip the foam. It will also add comfort because the foam will curve with your body, rather than push up against it.
    P1050739a.jpg

On the vest base I added foam "bones". These are for any raised detail that will push up through the skin.
    This is the front.
    P1050740a.jpg
    And the back.
    P1050743a.jpg

I started heat molding the skin on by starting with the center front.
    P1050751a.jpg

It took a lot of pushing and coordination with the heat gun, but I was very pleased with the effect.
    P1050752a.jpg P1050755a.jpg

I did unfortunately heat a spot too much and managed to punch through one of the raised areas. ACK!!! I was able to close it up with a little hot glue, and hopefully with some weathering, this little flaw will disappear. This is the front of the chest plate. I still need to trim and mold the top and the bottom left side (your right).
    P1050761a.jpg
    Side and back skin.
    P1050762a.jpg

I am also completing the tail, however I want to put that all in one post, so you'll have to stay tuned. ;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    cirianz likes this.
  23. Dan007

Dan007 Unblooded

Amazing work, can't wait to see more!

24. sevenstar75

sevenstar75 Elite Hunter

SOOOOO cool so far! I am loving this build immensely! :-)

25. HAL1138

HAL1138 Hunter

Gaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! I came so close, but was still so far away. Its not going to be done for its debut tommorrow, and I am just devastated.

I suppose it WAS a little too ambitious planning on building this complicated monster in just a months time, still.....bummer.

Zoe is being more of a good sport about it than I am. She ever made me a card last night telling me how awesome I am and how its ok because she knew how hard I've been working on it. William thinks I should debut it at the StarWars Celebration in two weeks... give her a lightsaber and have baby predator and her duke it out. But I'm not sure about that. I guess we'll just have to see.

I'm sad...... :(