A Few Model Kit Q's

P

PredatoRob

I was wondering what was good to use as a primer for a kit Im working on... or do I not need one?

I was also wondering what you builders out there use as far as paint goes. The paint I have now is alright, but I'm looking for something a bit better, and hopefully something a bit more air-brush friendly.

Thanks!

C

CreatureKore7

I use Krylon automotive sandable primers, usually white or gray depending on the subject matter. You can get it at Wal-Mart, along with another good brand called Plastikote.
Delta brand craft acrylics are good for basecoats and washes. They are cheap and come in a very broad spectrum of colors for mixing your custom colors. But they don't spray well in airbrushes from my experience, no matter how well you reduce them. The best airbrush ready paints I've ever used are Golden's airbrush ready paints. You can spray 'em right out of the bottle, no clogging at all. And the colors are rich. F/W inks are great, too.

S

Savage Yautja

What are you painting? Resin, plastic, vinyl? I'cvve used Polly S acrylics which airbrush great. Very smooth even coverage with an airbrush.

P

PredatoRob

Thanks for the replies! I am going to be painting a vinyl Predator kit from Billiken. I didn't know you could use automotive primers for model kits; I thought it might've been too harsh for they vinyl.

I think I'll check out the inks and the Polly S Acryilics. Thanks again!

G

gk asylum

You don't need to prime vinyl.
Acrylic paint will stick to it .
I like poly S paints.
Larry

S

Savage Yautja

For vinyl kits you do need to wash off the mold realease with dishwashing detergent before painting. Otherwise the paint will not bond. I still used Citadel Colour White Primer on vinyl kits to give it better adhesion.
Now that I think about it I can use this primer on my Alien Trophy skull before I repaint it.

I

inkdoctor

ive allways primed my vinyl kits paint will stick without it but may flake off a bit down the line. if your gonna use a primer on vinyl dont use a enamel based primer only a laquer based. enamel based primers will damage the vinyl and maybe never dry. i accidently sprayed one with a enamel primer and it had a reaction with the vinyl and over a month later the primer was still wet. i had to carefully strip the primer off and re prime it with the laquer based. as far as resin you can use either one. as far as paints acrylic paints on vinyl and sometimes i use enamels on resin or plastic. i usually use badger frek flex paints for airbrushing, some liquetex and i still have a few raul partha paints laying around. as far as enamels i use some humbroil, testors model masters and some of the metal paints for armor.and tamiya colors. have fun with that list.

S

Savage Yautja

For a vinyl kit I would stick with Acrylic primers like the one I mentioned in my last post. It's designed for vinyls, plastics and even metals. Laqueer could really eat away at vinyl kits, way too strong a solvent in them. Meant for thinning laquer based paints.

A simple rule of thumb is if it flexes or has to flex go with acrylic. Only rigid items can use enamel paints without problems.