Accurized P1 armor WIP update

carlart

Hunter
(Sun. 2/4) Just added a little video showing the wonders of urethane rubber:
URETHANE RUBBER PARTS

Hey guys, an update on the upper P1 armor I've been working on-----
I finally molded the the R bicep and R shoulder, as well as the L shoulder last week. As I said before, these parts will be cast in urethane rubber. Rigid, yet flexible, the best of both worlds. No more krinkly latex, no need to back it up with foam, etc. This stuff's the real deal, the result of a lot of homework. The process is a bit involved, and requires pressure casting. Due to the type of material and how it will be produced, it will be more expensive than latex, but well worth it. The parts in the attached photos were produced without using the pressurized method, and take far too long to cure to make the process do-able---if only it were as easy as slush casting resin!

As for how to paint urethane rubber, I'm still researching that, what I've seen so far is ridiculously expensive, there's got to be a relatively inexpensive flexible paint out there for rubber besides Plasti-Dip which only comes in red, blue, yellow, green and black. For shits and giggles, I dry brushed some metallic silver pigment made for resin casting into my R shoulder mold and poured away. I was very pleasantly surprised that the urethane rubber picked it up with no problem. So, it seems I've got that figured out for now, weathering the piece ought to be a snap with acrylic based paints on top.

I will be tweaking my molds for pressure casting, and hope to have these pieces available in a couple of weeks. The bicep and L Shoulder will include hoses.

Stay tuned-----
carlart

L_Shldr_Bicep.jpg

R_Bicep_1.jpg

R_Shoulder_1.jpg

Bicep_R_Shoulder_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PredatrHuntr

Veteran Hunter
Damn Carl, that looks seriously cool...

If I didnt have stuff coming from DB, I woulda placed an order with you. Well done bro...

DangerDavey

Hunter
Yur stuff is so purdy!!! I think ah'd like to marry it!!

Great job so far, Carl!! But it looks way too clean and beautiful. Dirty it up and hit it with a hammer and some buckshot!!! LOL

Keep up the awesome work!!!

~DangerDavey

ronin

Hunter
Looks like a winner to me! :eek: now someone needs to make a canon pack like the P1.
That'll be killer to see happen.

carlart

Hunter
now someone needs to make a canon pack like the P1. That'll be killer to see happen.
Funny you should mention that. I will be starting the P1 Medkit in a few weeks (compatible with ScottAs' P1 torso armor), and will be offered in 2 versions. Functional with tools, and non. Start saving your pennies :eek: Thanx for the compliments, guys!
carlart

DAVIDYR1

Hunter
Funny you should mention that. I will be starting the P1 Medkit in a few weeks (compatible with ScottAs' P1 torso armor), and will be offered in 2 versions. Functional with tools, and non. Start saving your pennies :eek: Thanx for the compliments, guys!
carlart
Nice, Nice and Nice!!!

David

ptgreek

Elite Hunter
Oh Carl...looks like I'll have to be placing an order soon...and I know that you have the right address this time!
amazing work as always!

ScottAS

Hunter
Looks great "O fearless Leader"

Carlart.jpg

You're one crazy silicone slinger!

ronin

Hunter
Funny you should mention that. I will be starting the P1 Medkit in a few weeks (compatible with ScottAs' P1 torso armor), and will be offered in 2 versions. Functional with tools, and non. Start saving your pennies Thanx for the compliments, guys!
carlart
I'll be saving my pennies alright! You just put a smile on my face bro! Now...like scott said...get on it! :eek:

inkmonster

Hunter
looks great carl im still looking foward to a set. does it look like its gonna be a problem painting it? i know that it can be painted with a rubber based ink but there expensive and highly toxic. hope fully it wont be hard matching the paint colors to the paints used to paint the rest of the latex armor.

carlart

Hunter
looks great carl im still looking foward to a set. does it look like its gonna be a problem painting it? i know that it can be painted with a rubber based ink but there expensive and highly toxic. hope fully it wont be hard matching the paint colors to the paints used to paint the rest of the latex armor.
I'm still working on that, bro---soons as I find something I'll give you the heads up.
In the meantime, check out my urethane parts video showing the metallic silver pigment I brushed into the mold before casting:

URETHANE RUBBER PARTS

inkmonster

Hunter
awsome carl i cant see the vid its taking to long to download with my stupid phone modem. im shure you could use any acrylic paint mixed with a rubber cement. i know larry uses a rubber based ink to paint on urethane rubber but he told me the fumes are extremely harmful. may have to wait till spring to paint mine outside.

inkmonster

Hunter
carl i just remebered that micro mark sells a off white urethane rubber with a black pigment to add to it to make tires for rc cars and models. couldnt you cast it up in the black rubber then spray pretty much any silvers over it to weather them? if there not that flexible anyway wouldnt any paint be safe as far as not cracking? or is the problem getting the paint to stick to it all together?