airbrush models and brands what to buy?

roninpred

Elite Hunter
hello fellow hunters.I want to paint my own head and was wandering what kind of airbrush to buy.so far i noticed all of the painters here mentioned dual action.but I'm clueless as to what to look for.what accesories to get and what kind of compressor. :p

what brand ?

what model?

what are the prices?

any help will be greatly apreciated.

thanks.
L.b

Bovine13

Hunter
Depending on your budget you can go several ways. I have a Vega dual action ( adjustable paint flow) and a walmart compressor with a water seperator. The airbrush, compressor, and water seperator all together @ 200.00. Extra bottles, longer hoses, etc will add up. Works good for me but, I am looking for an Iwata Eclipse ( its dual action as well, @ 150.00) to paint my suit mask. Great gun and resonably priced. A single action gun means when you hit the trigger paint comes out at one rate of flow. Dual action gun triggers move forward and back changing the amount of paint coming out of the gun. Greater control and details with the dual action.

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
I use a lot of different airbrushes. I use a Paschee VL with a #5 needle for base coats and Perma-wet. I use a hp-ch for the details and fine work. I can use the Paschee VL for it all, but like the action more on the Iwata. I use a auto motive paint sprayer for really large areas.

Single action is the easiest of them all you set the needle to the setting you like and just press the trigger for air. Double action you press the trigger down for air and back for paint. Here is my diagram of how I think my airbrushes handle paint flow.
airbrushes.jpg

Picking a brush really depends on how much you want to spend and how often your going to use it.
You can buy a double action Paschee VL kit for 50.00 on ebay.
Iwata runs from 80.00 and up to 600.00 depending on what model you buy and where you buy it.

The new one I just ordered is Iwata Kustom Micron CM $386.00

roninpred

Elite Hunter
thanks guys.I'm going to check ebay for one .now that I know what to look for.I did see that iwata micron but I didnt' want to spend a good chunk of change in something that I didn't know about.

also is there any videos or dvds that show some basic technics on airbrushing?
thanks again :p

I like that diagram of the airbrush/needles/etc Scott, easy to understand.
I like the Iwata HP C the best, but I finally ruined it and gave it away. I've been using the Pasche VL only lately, not quite the fine detail, but it works great and is pretty idiot proof.

BigGunns

Blooded
Ronin-
Ive been airbrushing for 15 years and I gotta say- the Iwatas have NEVER let me down. I have been using the Eclipse HpBcs for 15 years and I got my holy grail last year - the Micron.

Other good/ cheapier brushes- Iwata revolution, Thayer and Chander Omni. I have had no luck with Paasches so I avoid them like the plague.

BigGunns

Blooded
Hey now-
Bigger is not always better- I'm sure you can appreciate that comment Scott.

Of course if you like holding an airbrush thats like a fat crayon then be my guest.

prof piehead

Unblooded
a paasche h is a good industry standard single action. i know for a fact its what steve wang painted the 1st preds with. iawata are a great airbrush . but you cannot fault the paasche as its pretty much bomb proof. using the no 1 needle you can get really fine lines and dots. just takes practice.

BigGunns

Blooded
Go with the double actions- they are better.

I asked Steve what his favorite airbrush is and guess what he said...... Iwata :)

And here comes my sermon on Paasches:

I beg to differ on the Paasches being bomb proof. They build them so that they break down and you lose parts. For intance- why is the trigger made up of 2 parts when everyone elses is only one part? Its because they want you to have to keep buying the top of the trigger.

The paasches the only airbrush that I have ever had continuious problems with. It has nothing to do with fine lines and dots. It's a high maintenance airbrush. It also takes twice as long to do a project. You spend all your time taking it apart trying to figure out why it isn't spraying or changing tips. Whos has time for that? Not me.

Also my trigger finger hurts like hell after using one. Yes they are cheap- but they are cheaply made. I would rather have a nice airbrush for 1 year then have to buy a cheap one 5 times.

This has been my experience when ever I have used one.

lizardman

Unblooded
thanks for the tip BigGunns ill look for one.

P.S. if any one is wondering my avatar is a pic of my bird

P.S.S. BigGuns i have added you as one of my friends i hope you don't mind

GENTRY RILEY

Unblooded
thanks for the tip BigGunns ill look for one.

P.S. if any one is wondering my avatar is a pic of my bird

P.S.S. BigGuns i have added you as one of my friends i hope you don't mind

THE PERFECT AIRBRUSH, FROM WHAT I GATHERED FROM YOUR EMAIL FOR YOU WOULD BE AN IWATA HP-BCS ECLIPSE, BOTTLE FED . "A GREAT ALL AROUND AIRBRUSH", EVEN FOR FINE DETAIL. GREAT AIRBRUSH , "TOP QUALITY" AT A REASONABLE PRICE. I HAVE THESE KITS IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, NOT TRYIN TO BE A SALESMAN ON HERE, JUST TRYIN TO HELPOUT. BUT IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CONTACT ME EMAIL ME AT sales@PAINTMOFFIA.com AND PLEASE VISIT www.MYSPACE.COM/IWATATRIPLEACTIONHANDLE , THERE YOU WILL SEE AN INVENTION OF MINE, THAT WILL FIT MOST ALL POPULAR IWATA'S. EXCLUSIVLY IWATA ONLY. ITS A NEAT LIL GADJET, CHECK IT OUT.

HOPE MY 2 CENTS HELPED,

GENTRY RILEY
WWW.PAINTMOFFIA.COM