animal skull question

inkmonster

Hunter
hi can anyone identify the long thin animal skull at the bottom on the preds skulls that are draped over his shoulder? its to thin to be a gator or croc. i thought maybe a ant eater or ardvark but not shure. i was hoping to find one for my new suit but dont even know what it is to try to locate one.

17.jpg

roundhammer

Hunter
I believe that's the skull of a Gar fish.

On a related note, the skull at the very top is that of a turtle, probably an alligator snapping turtle.

inkmonster

Hunter
I believe that's the skull of a Gar fish.

On a related note, the skull at the very top is that of a turtle, probably an alligator snapping turtle.
thank you i'll look into it i didnt even think that it may be a fish skull. yes as a mtter of fact the top one is a alligaotor snapping turtle i have one just like it for my suit.

Usurper

Veteran Hunter
Its NOT a dogfish and i doubt its a garfish, garfish have a longer thinner jaw.
maybe its just a peice of resin ?

but if not i cant see it being a fish, more like a small animal of sorts from some xocitc zoo thats passed away.

good hunting in this, be very interested to find out what it was, if thats ever possible hehe

roundhammer

Hunter
so can you catch me one?
I'd love to help you out, but I'm afraid I don't fish. :rolleyes:

I only know they populate this area because I used to work at a facility near the Mississippi river, and one summer the river was flooding and got very close to the main building. A co-worker and I went out to see how close the water was and you could see hundreds of Gar fish swimming just a few few out in the water.
A few weeks later the water receded, and again we went out to inspect the damage. There was a railroad nearby that was used to bring raw material to our facility, and as the water slowly drew back, it left some Gar stranded inbetween the rail road ties to die in the summer heat.
There were hundreds of skulls and other remains of the Gar that were there. It was like a Gar graveyard.

inkmonster

Hunter
Its NOT a dogfish and i doubt its a garfish, garfish have a longer thinner jaw.
maybe its just a peice of resin ?

but if not i cant see it being a fish, more like a small animal of sorts from some xocitc zoo thats passed away.

good hunting in this, be very interested to find out what it was, if thats ever possible hehe
i have other pics ive seen from different angles and the jaw and nose of it is actuually only about a 1/4'' to 1/2'' wide its pretty thin and pointy. i dont know what animal has a nose that thin. other than maybe a fish that has that thin of a face i cant think what it may be. i suppose if im that anal about it i could sculpt something similar and pour it in resin.

I think DD is somewhere on the right track, of it being a tooth. There just isn't any hole in it to look like a skull of anything. and you can say its the bottom jaw because there not solid, so there for I vote "tooth."

-Chris

inkmonster

Hunter
its not a tooth it has eye sockets and teeth. in the pic you can see the eye socket on ths side. i seen another pics of it somewhere it definatly has teeth to. i looked at some dogfish skulls and they have a shorter more rounded nose. and i looked at some of the garfish skulls and sofar there about as close to it as anything. i may just put something else there like most people do no need to get that anal about acuracy. just thought i'd take a shot.

Usurper

Veteran Hunter
Im sure theres dozens of possibilities, another is one of these yellow tail barracuda, i took this whilst diving last year :rolleyes:

DSCF0412.jpg

inkmonster

Hunter
after much research and looking at several pics ive come to the conclusion that is definatly a gar fish. my animal skull guy that ive gotten my others from is getting some in on the 15th of june so im gonna purchase a couple from him. he just sent me a awsome snapping turtle head. heres a close up of the gar fish.

gar2002.jpg

inkmonster

Hunter
ok after much research trying to find one i finally got one in and im convinced that it is a garfish skull that was in question. the one i got was about 5 and 3/4 which is perfect as far as scale to my size. take a look i know its stupid but its just one more thing that will make my suit as close to screen accurate as i can make it.

110_1031.jpg