Another P1 Mask... Silicone And Animatronics Done.

troggs

Hunter
Looking great, think it's a really clever way to do it using fibreglass, looking forward to seeing it all working.

made007

Elite Hunter
I want to try one but without animatronics, like those ones that you have to open your mouth , but i need to sculpt an open mouth pred right? Or it can be done with a closed mouth, im gonna use latex

Thanks, everyone!

troggs said:
Looking great, think it's a really clever way to do it using fibreglass, looking forward to seeing it all working.
This is how "the pros" do it.  I'm not good with fiberglass.  In fact, I down right hate it.  Unfortunately it is the most appropriate material for this job.

made007 said:
I want to try one but without animatronics, like those ones that you have to open your mouth , but i need to sculpt an open mouth pred right? Or it can be done with a closed mouth, im gonna use latex
If you're talking about "position-able" mandibles, then a neutral position is the best.  There have been plenty of people put wires in the mandibles to have them tucked under the bio and then open later.

Nice progress today.  Not a lot.  But good.

I did a skin check by putting the skin back on.  Everything looks OK.  It'll need adjustments but for now it looks good.

Got the upper mandibles installed and cutout.  The face is reinforced a little with epoxy

The servo tray is permanently installed. 

I need to install the cables.  The pics are showing the full movement.  This isn't the movement it will do but it needs to be free to move.  The pics make it look exaggerated too.

Predator_Sculpt12_zpseb04328e.jpg

Predator_Sculpt11_zps79c56c88.jpg

I posted this on my FB page a few days ago.  If anyones interested(not connected on FB obviously) in seeing how this looks without the skin.
I officially gave up on Tuesday.  I offically gave up trying to get it to Jamie Hall this weekend.  A couple of technical issues and life getting in the way.   Though my paint test went well with the Psycho paint base.  I used it to glue a rip back together in the back.  Ultimately I'll do a plug and  try some four-way-flex stuff to keep things more uniform.

http://youtu.be/GgAseh-c9k0

No Arduino on this.  It's straight old-school radio control.

I got a cheap 4 channel radio and used three of them.  The fourth is what I wanted to use for the eyebrows... next time.

"Officially giving up" come on dude. Things were looking great. How about you are offically setting it aside for a while. I don't know how I missed all of this but I am glad I found it. You are so close. Notice I said "are" not "were".  

alphatech686 said:
"Officially giving up" come on dude. Things were looking great. How about you are offically setting it aside for a while. I don't know how I missed all of this but I am glad I found it. You are so close. Notice I said "are" not "were".  
Ah!  Hasty words.  I wanna scratch that.  I reread that post and it sounded depressing.  That's not how I wanted to come accross at all!
I meant I was I official gave up trying to get it to California for Jamie Hall for the shoot this weekend. If would have been nice to have it as an option for them.

I'll be painting it up still and it may be a quick paint job but I'm still getting it done! 
This is PCC weekend and it officially starts in a few hours.  But with work and panels (and a graduation) I don't have the time I want to dedicate to it.  I am trying though. I don't want to fall over dead trying to get this done.

ptgreek

Elite Hunter
Bro ..next time dont use your expensive smooth on products to repair ..there are products you can purchase from Home Depot that match silpoxy in chemical components that are at least 10 times cheaper. Ha ...silicone has become my forte recently. Ill PM you my phone number ..call me any time. this is looking awesome! so many cool projects are pushing the envelope!!!!

Looking great Shawn! Would have liked to have you mask for the filming this weekend, they want a full face mask now so I started painting one last night. Hey, you still have 24 hrs! ;)

oxtheii

Blooded
MasterAnubis said:
I posted this on my FB page a few days ago.  If anyones interested(not connected on FB obviously) in seeing how this looks without the skin.
I officially gave up on Tuesday.  I offically gave up trying to get it to Jamie Hall this weekend.  A couple of technical issues and life getting in the way.   Though my paint test went well with the Psycho paint base.  I used it to glue a rip back together in the back.  Ultimately I'll do a plug and  try some four-way-flex stuff to keep things more uniform.

http://youtu.be/GgAseh-c9k0

That looks great Shawn, I love animatronics! Don't think I would ever be able to figure out how to do my own though. Great mask and sculpting too :)

Thanks everyone for their support and complements!

I picked up some GE Silicone I and it works awesome.  It does have that vinegary smell like the dollar store silicone I have used in the past for small molds.  It glued my tares back up beautifully.  -Thanks George!

I'm thinking if I had done things differently I could have made the deadline for the shoot.  I was pushing things to the limit with all that was going on and just didn't hit on all cylinders long enough.  It's all good.  :) I have a video of me wearing it unpainted in the changing room at PCC but it's not what I want to show just yet... it's still unpainted.

oxtheii,  There was a lot that went into it but there is also always a starting point.  Break it down and each piece of the whole is just a simple concept.  I'm not pushing you to do it, just trying to encourage learning.  Understanding these things and how to make them opens up possibilities in other areas too.

BonzRus

Hunter
Hello Shawn, I have been watching your progress for a bit and haven't commented until now but this is looking great! The action on the mandibles looks very smooth! Thanks for all the progress shots and updates on this. It is very informative. I am looking forward to seeing how the mandibles move once the mask is in place on the skull. I have been contemplating going the direction of silicone for a mask as well so I will definitely be continuing to follow your progress. Keep up the good work.

Steve

Thanks!   And, you're welcome too!

The mandible movement is simply awesome.  The upper mandibles don't move as well on their own as I wanted. Total movement when it all opens up is incredible.  The cables I used are more flexible than the ones on the main mandibles and so they needed counterbalancing with a spring.  The movement looks pretty good still.  When I get the second iteration done it will be from a core and the thickness of everything will be planned and I'll use the stiffer cable that I used on the bottom (Sullivan gold-n-cable).  It's really good for pushing but doesn't have a tight bend radius like the other cable I used.  If I counterbalance with springs than it's different but I like what I've done here... push instead of pull.

I guess I'll throw up a quick vid this evening if I have time,  I have stuff to do and I don't want to just throw rough footage.

BonzRus

Hunter
I noticed that is looks like when you sculpted the mask you kinda' made the mandibles mid-way between open and closed... was that to provide for the most motion as possible? I know the silicone is quite flexible so do you feel you have enough stretch and give in the mask for the motion you are looking at in the mechanism? One other question, are you using any special servos? Like are they high torque or just the typical servos that came with your radio?

Thanks,

Steve  

Good questions.

Short answer is yes, the positioning was for most available movement.  It was also to make it easier to cast.  I ran an unusual seamline on the outside of the mandibles and I didn't want the mold to be locked in because of the hard core that will be used.  While the silicone is flexible, one of the concerns is that it will wrinkle right.  The movement definitely has enough stretch and does work well.

The servos are cheap high torque standard size ball bearing servos.  They aren't very accurate and I would never put them in an aircraft but they are strong and do this job well.  I don't know the part number off hand and you can't make it out in the picture.  I got them off of Ebay from China.

oxtheii

Blooded
MasterAnubis said:
Thanks everyone for their support and complements!

oxtheii,  There was a lot that went into it but there is also always a starting point.  Break it down and each piece of the whole is just a simple concept.  I'm not pushing you to do it, just trying to encourage learning.  Understanding these things and how to make them opens up possibilities in other areas too.

Some day I would really like to learn how and understand.

I made these beads for the shoot.  I'm not a big fan of using this many plastic beads.  Especially on an already heavy head.  The original P1 beads were all foam with the dreads (one piece) and I think I'll do that when I sculpt dreads.  I'll use these for pictures but will never wear them out. 
Predator_Sculpt13_zps9593f622.jpg

This is some footage I had at PCC.  I consider it 'behind the scenes' and made it unlisted.
http://youtu.be/WZAjt5cR0kc