Another P1 Mask... Silicone And Animatronics Done.

made007 said:
Is that kid voice your son explaining?
Good stuff there
Cant wait to see it painted :)
Thanks!  Yes, that was in fact my 11yo son!  He's my puppeteer.  He's also more then a little wound up at times.  He's very bright, too bright at times.  He even helped me out on my Intro to Molding and Casting panel I did on Sunday at PCC. 

munson reminded me of the recommendation to paint sooner rather than later.  I'll be tackling this again in the morning.

:D

made007 said:
What was the problem with the eyes? You didnt cut the hole enough?
A little of both.  I was avoiding cutting large holes until I knew how everything was sitting.  The way the mandibles move pull on it also, so it needs to be glued down in position to look more natural.

8905728414_6d52d9da53_o.jpg

alphatech686 said:
All is looking good my friend. We need a vid of the movement, full open. Very nice.
Thanks, I'll be saving the full video until after the paint and dreads are on.

meanwhile...  I did get some 'paint' on.  Not really much but it does represent a large leap in understanding for the Psycho paint system.  My seems on the upper mandibles are pretty horrible with the crappy patching I did.  I need to get a bit more practice in.

Predator_Sculpt14_zps77cb50f1.jpg

munson

Hunter
Awesome! I watched the video a few times and I like the way the Ecoflex moves. So after a few weeks the paints adhering good? Guess I should get on the move and cast up a silicone P2....it's great to see silicone being used more and more, You and Lee have been a huge help. Many thanks to the both of you!

munson said:
Awesome! I watched the video a few times and I like the way the Ecoflex moves. So after a few weeks the paints adhering good? Guess I should get on the move and cast up a silicone P2....it's great to see silicone being used more and more, You and Lee have been a huge help. Many thanks to the both of you!
Excellent!   

Yes, the paint has only given me one little spot that made me rethink my delay.  I washed it down with mineral spirits before painting and haven't had any other concerns.  The Psycho Paint instructions actually say to wipe down the work before painting.  George recommended naptha to thin it out but I had already had good results with odorless mineral spirits.   I have naptha that I just haven't tried yet.  The Toluene that was recommended by Smooth-On melted my mixing cups.  So now I have a gallon of it that I may never find a good use for. 
   I feel I'm really getting the hang of this paint.  I just don't know enough about color to get it the way I wanted.  Luckily, I don't have any pressure for it to be an accurate P1 paint up.  The colors go on in a couple of layers because of how thin it gets to airbrush it.  I can see some really neet results if done right.  I think the next one will get a slightly different color base, a touch of brown added into the flesh.

I still need to do most of the black here.  Covering a lot of area used the majority of the paint and it needs to be layered to be dark.  Something came up and I didn't finish it today.  I still have the teeth to paint and after that I can put on the quills.  Oh, ya... my seams suck.  I got to figure that out better.  Maybe I'm just impatient with it.
Predator_Sculpt15_zps041735ea.jpg

I changed my mind regarding the spots.  This is yesterdays progress.

I knew that the darker color I had was brown but I looks really dark when I look at it. Weird.  It's the whole 'light' thing. 

We'll see how it goes.

Predator_Sculpt16_zpscc331805.jpg

munson

Hunter
Looking great so far! It's great that the paint is taking to it so well. Thanks for posting your progress as well and I can't wait to see it with dreads and fully functional.

Untamed

Young Blood
That is turning out great! I got to see the mask in person unpainted at the phoenix comicon pred panel. You gotta let me come check it out once you finish painting! I didn't get to meet you, I had some impatient friends so once I finished talkin to Glendon and Kurt I had to run. Add dreads and quills and that thing is gonna start movin and breathing on its own! nice job!

munson said:
Looking great so far! It's great that the paint is taking to it so well. Thanks for posting your progress as well and I can't wait to see it with dreads and fully functional.
Thanks!  I'll have a proper full video soon!

Untamed said:
That is turning out great! I got to see the mask in person unpainted at the phoenix comicon pred panel. You gotta let me come check it out once you finish painting! I didn't get to meet you, I had some impatient friends so once I finished talkin to Glendon and Kurt I had to run. Add dreads and quills and that thing is gonna start movin and breathing on its own! nice job!
Thanks!  It's too bad you didn't get to meet me, I'm quite a person to meet.  You let your friends miss out on meeting me too! Tsk, tsk. 
  I posted an update photo on "the social media".  I also sent out a quick vid of it at my work.  It might just be my perspective but this thread isn't getting the response I get on "the social media".

Dude this looks really nice. The stretch of the material looks very natural. Great job. I have been inspired by you and a couple others here to start the silicone adventure. I just finished molding some legs and I do have a question. In reading about Psycho paint it sounds like it should be applied within a few days of casting. It looks like you let the mask sit quite a while before painting, Did you feel this was an issue? Again great job very inspirational.

trogg, thanks!  The timing was because this thread fell victim to social media.  I posted the videos up on FB and didn't think about the thread... for months.   :(

alphatech, thanks!  I always like to inspire.  :D

Yes, some time did pass before I painted.  In practice, I'd recommend sooner rather than later. I had the convention I wanted to showcase it at and couldn't help but wait to paint it.  Before painting I washed the mask with a little dish soap and water until it got that mild tacky feeling back.  There was only one spot while painting that seemed to exhibit delaminating and it looked like a fingerprint.  There was no other signs of an issue.  Some say there will always be a potential to delaminate no matter how soon you do it. 

George recommends Naptha to thin the paint.  Toluene and Mineral Spirits were also recommended. I started with Toluene.  Don't use it.  It thinned the silicone great but before I knew it, it melted my mixing cup!  It's vapor also filled my shop to the point I got worried.  The vapors also messed with my eyes. I've since got some goggles to work with, and recommend using goggles anyway with this process. Odorless Mineral Spirits worked great too and I had it on hand.  So, that's what I did all the painting with.  I never got to try Naptha because the Mineral Spirits worked well for me.

cmetzger

Unblooded
How did you mold and cast that awesome face shield?
MasterAnubis said:
So after I got out of chat this morning, my wife was getting coffee and left the kitchen. Then she said "I spilled some coffee"

Coffee.jpg

How.... wha..... huh?

Thought I'd give a small update. The mask is doing fine. I have to remount the halo in it because of a pressure point on the top of my head.

PCC2015
11116580_10152792904131574_2053818677749195609_o_zpsxqhj7bxy.jpg

Group after the Predator panel:
18285998809_c8bea052fa_o_zpst3xvjuz0.jpg

My son adjusting my collar:
11231089_10200672024000318_2566567505510195663_n_zpsizum8ywv.jpg

This was an in progress pic of the silicone bust for Reynolds Advanced Material.
11351200_10152763538376574_2075597832545389577_n_zpssxdcfnhm.jpg

Here is a pro pic from it at the booth at PCC2015, it's not done but it made a good display:
ReynoldsBooth_zpsp1guddvu.jpg