Another WIP a long time in coming

C

carlart

This P1 accurized stuff is a LONG time in coming.
Since my sculpting skills aren't quite up up to snuff yet, I have to make 2 molds. The pull from the first mold is what I use to make corrections and work out the kinks on. It's just easier to do this on a hard prototype at the moment. One of these days I'll be able to sculpt once, and mold once. The Left P1 shoulder and bicep armor here are finally done, now they're off to be wet sanded and sealed for molding.

These parts as well as the P1 right shoulder armor will be cast in thick urethane rubber. Firm, but flexible. More to come.
carlart
L-Shldr-Bicep.jpg

J

JediUsurper

looks real good m8e, keep up the good work and postings of progress

T

The Big Gunns

You always do really accurate work Carl. Maybe when I get around to sculpting a pred skin we can team up our efforts.

~Mel

A

alphatech686

Hey Carl, don't feel like you aren't a good sculptor. If you look in the new Winston book you will read a tidbit about the making of the Terminator robot. Guess how they got the machined look? They molded the clay then made a cast in plaster that they machined and cleaned, then molded it again. I'd say you are right on track. Nice work by the way. I really like seeing the photos of the detail work. I also really like your precision machined look on that shoulder piece. Keep the photos coming. I think veryone likes alot of pics.

P

ptgreek

Way to go Carl...I remember talking to you about these pieces a couple of months ago...glad to see them coming together

M

MEANGENE83

Yes carl. You nailed this one buddy. Great work, was wondering when this would pop up.

As usual you are a accuracy genius, i can respect that. Its extremely difficult to replicate something merely from pictures.

You the man buddy.

NICE!

P

pirkleations

I absolutely love the clean, machined look of your sculpts, Carl.

You're and inspiration to a lot of us here on the Lair!

~DangerDavey

C

carlart

You're and inspiration to a lot of us here on the Lair!
Dave----you're making me blush!

Thanks for the kudos, folks. We inspire each other, which as always, is the nicest feature of this place. It's funny, when I first joined the Lair and committed myself to a screen accurate P1 costume, I never thought it would take this long to put it together. Too many irons in the fire I guess.

Here's more photos of these pieces taking shape:
Left Shoulder & Bicep
Right Shoulder

carlart

I

inkdoctor

carl its looking great, the only thing im seeing though is its allmost to perfect. the original was roughed up and had battle dammage sculpted into it. but it is still completely awsome, am i still one of the first people on the list for a set? still hoping i can get a set of the torso armor to for my new suit.

S

seknewb

Carl -

Looking great...

Don't worry over the mold and then bodyshop and re-mold method. That's pretty standard in the industry for "machined" parts. When we did the robot suits for Robin Williams on Bicentennial Man, there was generally more time put into the bodyshop work than the original sculpts. That's not uncommon at all. It's only becoming less necessary these days because of the computer milling, laser-cutting, and RP work that are becoming more and more common. Even then, lots of clean-up.

Keep up the great work!

K

kithunter

all your pieces suffer from the same level of perfection...lol excellent

D

DAVIDYR1

Carl,
Your approach is a widely used technique in the industry. Make no mistake about it. It goes from automotive work to special effects.
Of the many costumes made in industry, another one they approached this way was the Jason X UberJason costume. The robotic parts were all clay scupted, molded...cast in stone...sanded glass smooth and re molded. It is not by any means to be dismissed as a sculpting techique.
The pieces look great and I think will be to die for once done.

David

T

The Mortal Immortal

Those look like something that should be under my x-mas tree. Those look great Carl, glad you made them wider.

inkmonster

Hunter
it doesnt matter what way you do it carl it looks awsome. i seen the clay sculpt it doesnt look like you suffer from any lack of sculpting talent. you seem to nail this p-1 stuff, that would have looked good under my tree to but im shure it would look even nicer on my suit. looking forward to seeing more stuff from you.

carlart

Hunter
Still working out the molding on this folks. I've never used a pressure pot before and am getting help from Scotty :) in the engine room.
Gimme a couple of weeks---you won't be disappointed.
Thanks, carlart