Any "hand" how to's?

maddhatter

Unblooded
Hey guys, its me, once again needing help (since i cant stick to one project at a time) This time however, i am in need of some kind of tutorial on how to make hands...although a little off topic, im trying to make pumpkinhead hands; using some kind of acryllic material for the nails...can anyone help me on where to start?
thanks Ron

DangerDavey

Hunter
Hey guys, its me, once again needing help (since i cant stick to one project at a time) This time however, i am in need of some kind of tutorial on how to make hands...although a little off topic, im trying to make pumpkinhead hands; using some kind of acryllic material for the nails...can anyone help me on where to start?
thanks Ron

Would the hands be for a wearable costume?

If so, you can do the following for one of the most inexpensive method for making monster hands...

Using several pairs of basic, household latex gloves, add length to the fingers by cutting fingers from several other pairs and attaching the extra finger tips to the master gloves until you have the fingers the length that you want them. You can pretty much double the lenght of your own fingers this way. Fill the lenghtened finger extensions with padding for firmer fingertips. You should be able to glue acrylic nail tips to the latex with super glue. After that, you can texture the hands with liquid latex and unwound cotton balls. Finally, you can paint them up with a mixture of liquid latex and acrylic paint.

In the end, it should not cost you any more than $15-20 for a nice looking set of monster hands.

Good luck!!

~DD

maddhatter

Unblooded
Wow, thank you! i would have never thought to do that :) ...This is so cool because i found a website where a guy makes custom "hands" and he told me it would be about $1,500 :) this alternative method sounds both $$$ conserving and a completly credible idea...thanks again!

DangerDavey

Hunter
$1.500 is quite an investment for a pair of hands. The feller probably goes all out on materials for sculpting, molding and casting. But the latex glove method bypasses all of those steps and just gets the job done.

~DD

Obraxis

Blooded
Using liquid latex and acrylic paint - will the paint not crack or anything on the latex? On the household gloves, should you put a basecoat black down first, then paint over with drybrush acrylics? Also, what would be best to get a glossy look to them? ClearCoat? Thx :rolleyes:

I use a base coat when painting latex, just latex mixed with acrylics and distilled water, go for a consitnecy of milk and paint your hands with that. Then I go over it with acrylic inks...The latex bacse coat gives the base that flexes with the inks....Then seal with a clear flexible acrylic sealer or plasti dip....Perma wet is good. But I tend to make my own out od Betabond mixed with a clear acrylic sealer. Hope this helps....This hand was made using cotton wool and latex to sculpt details...You can add some nice veining and tendons like this for your pumpkinhead hands. As Dave says use another pair of gloves to extend the fingers and then pack them out....You can also sculpt the claws this way too.

This is the kind of thing I'm on about.

DSC01048.jpg