Anyone here a martial artist?

Rakai Thwei

Unblooded
Being a martial artist myself, I was wondering if there was any other fighters and martial artist here! I take Tang Soo Do and am a red-belt, which is two belts away from black! Anyway, just curious to know if there were any other martial artist and if so, what style do you take?

-Rakai'Thwei

NewPredMaker

Blooded
Kenpo, Kung Fu, Thia boxing, and Aikido... Never earned any belts... Our master instructor learned from an old world teacher.
Funny thing, he says the same thing as Mr Miyagi ... " belt is for just holding pants up". lol
We have taken many trips to be instructed by Bill "Lighting Foot" Wallace, in the art of rapid contact kicking.
His school isn't but a few hours from where we live now.

But as of late I have enjoyed the art of Kendo... I just love all those bruises.

joe

Mortal Immortal

Elite Hunter
I own a few black belts and a brown in a few Martial Arts. It not the color of your belt its how you can defend your self.

Rakai Thwei

Unblooded
Sounds like you have been taking up many other arts, thats pretty cool! Lots of people been have taking more than one style these days! I am also trying to learn some boxing, so I would both know Tang Soo Do and boxing.. Sides, I also wanna use my hands more incase I need to!

Also, I remember the Miyagi quote! Funny but in many ways, true!

-Rakai'Thwei

drgnfyre4

Hunter
Been training Martial Arts most of my adult life. I have studied Tae Kwon Do under Ernie Reyes Sr., Kenpo Ju Jitsu under Russ Rhodes and Prof. Sig Kufferath, with some methods and instruction brought over from Prof Wally J (those into Judo will recognize that name), Ishinn Ryu Karate and Crazy Dragon which is a stylized form of Kung Fu. Martial Arts is a hugely important part of who and what I am and will always be for the rest of my days.

Rakai Thwei

Unblooded
I have studied Tae Kwon Do under Ernie Reyes Sr.

WHOAH! You trained with Ernie Reyes Sr.? Thats freakin' awesome! Does his son still train? I know that he has been busy with some movies such as the TMNT series and all. Anyway, I am surprised to know that you trained with Reyes Sr. Must've been an honor.

I have never really heard of Crazy Dragon, is it new?

To me, martial arts has been an outlet for me emotionally and it also helps me socialize with people. Not only that, it has given me courage and strength when I need both in situations. So martial arts is also a part of who I am. It has given me two gifts, strength and courage.

-Rakai'Thwei

Bovine13

Hunter
Wouldnt say I am a martial "artist". I have been a bouncer in various establishments over the years. Trained in ASK for 7 years. My second Bouncing job in 97 was ata local "exotic cabaret" and the floor manager introduced me to Jujitsu. He trained with Hoyce Gracie from time to time. Me being of larger deminsions he liked to roll with me to try new things he had learned. I picked up a few things over the years and trained with various instructors. Police instructors, friends who trained regularly, accually rolled with Dan "The Beast" Severen (One of the original UFC Heavy weights) when he came to the club. Big ol boy. I have had the pleasure of touching various styles. Aikido, Jujitsu, Karate, various striking disciplines boxing etc., mostly stuff I could use protecting my ass at work. Disarming people, take downs, joint manipulation, pressure points, multiple foe senarios, etc. Its been great. Havent trained in a couple of years but it came in handy a month ago. Its like riding a bike, you never forget.

ronin

Hunter
I started out taking Muay Thai for 3 years, than started taking Cesar Gracie Jiu Jitsu and have been there since 2000 to present.
martial arts keeps me cool.I love competition man...it's the best!

drgnfyre4

Hunter
Gotta say I am a HUGE fan of Gracie Jujitsu and pretty much any style that understands its all about "Lock and Rock" In most real world situations it does not come down to kicks and punches but usually ends up on the ground in a tangle of limbs...if you train to make the floor your world and keep your cool you can pretty much control a human being like a rag doll. In one of the Dojos I used to train at they taught to break a joint twice...once will get his attention, twice and he will never offer that limb up ever again.

"You trained with Ernie Reyes Sr.? "
Yup, back in the 80s I was actually training at one of his studios in San Jose California, when Ernie Sr. didnt teach the class Sabanim Marjorie taught my class. I also had the honor of designing thier Black Belt Excellence logo that to this day still adorns the back wall of several of their studios on the West Coast.

"I have never really heard of Crazy Dragon"
This was a style created and taught by Greg Lagerra, many of the techniques used were designed for gangs and prison fighting and the style and school were NOT popular at all amongst the competition minded as it was often considered more streetfighting than a traditional Art. For a short time in the 70s in Northern California there was also a fairly infamous street gang that went by the name Crazy Dragons. The instructor Greg Lagerra trained with some of my family back in the 60s and 70s when I was first born and my Great Uncle was an instructor, so it was an honor for me to get to train with someone who was connected with my families past.

ronin

Hunter
Hey Mike,

thats great that you've got to train with Ernie Reyes sr. His son is bad ass as well.
I've been doing martial arts since high school,starting with Muai Thai kick boxing.
Had my share of ass whippings in there.But after that i took up Gracie jiu jitsu...
not brazilian jiu jitsu,but hte Gracie style.There's a difference in technique.Also i
have and continue to get the beatings.I'm very humble with that though.I like to
train with and without a Gi...good practice.I train my two cousins and a few friends
as well.Helps me to stay fresh in the mind,because i work alot...you know how that goes!

drgnfyre4

Hunter
I hear you. The ass whoopings are all a part of it. No one and I mean no one wins all the time, and some of the best lessons learned are from when you get the point knocked into you! lol.

ronin

Hunter
I hear you. The ass whoopings are all a part of it. No one and I mean no one wins all the time, and some of the best lessons learned are from when you get the point knocked into you! lol.
Very well said bro! That is the truth...but that makes you a better and a stronger fighter.You feel me on that one!

Robillicus

Hunter
I've been a fan of the Martial Arts since I was a kid. I tried some Karate when I was about 11 and it really didn't click with me at all. I guess I'm more of a spectator with the "I wish I could do that" mentality. I do love me some classic Kung-fu movies, and some of the modern films.

I was always curious as to what Ernie Reyes Sr. did. Jr. was in tons of movies when I was growing up. I last saw him in "The Rundown." It was crazy.

Studied a whole swathe of styles, ranging from the traditional karate to Ninjutsu and a few journeiy's along different paths too, studied Wing Chun for 11 years, and taught the first form for a while too. I advocate the study of any style, it certainly teaches you discipline and the true value of life when you realise just how easy it is to take.

Rakai Thwei

Unblooded
I've only been in one fight but it wasn't anything drag out brawl-- I believe it was when I was 13 or fourteen and I was a beginner in Tang Soo Do. Anyway, I was walking home and I have had this continuing problem with this neo-nazi skin head kid who was about the same age as I at the time. He would follow me, riding on his bike and would harass me, threatening to beat me up and was calling me slurs. This kept up for days. Until I had enough of this idiot-- he came up, riding on his bike one day and did the usual. Slurs and threats.

I gave him a ten second warning to go away and leave me alone. He didn't comply and ten seconds went by and he just kept on throwing those threats and slurs... I punched him as hard as I could, knocking him off his bike. Bear in mind, I was still a beginner in Tang Soo Do, but I knew I had to fend myself or this guy would really do something. He had the heart to do so, so what was I supposed to do?

The kid just looked at me... and rode away on his bike.

Not much of a fight but I had to use what I learned to get this creep away from me. Now six years later, I find this guy, totally reformed, working at a youth center.

Sometimes the path to riteousness can is started with a loss of pride via a beating.

-Rakai'Thwei

sandman1

Unblooded
Hi,
I am currently a student of Rai Un Kai Iaido, and have been doing this for about seven years now. I enjoy the stress relief and the fact that it isn't all punching and kicking and rolling around, just sword work, and perfecting your form. I have taken taikwondo, and shotokan years ago, but much prefer Iaido.

Ragnar

Blooded
Sorry for the late reply Ive been busy of line -
I did Tang Soo Do A number of years back But I left at Yellow belt level after a move that put my back out and lead to more problems !

rastapred

Hunter
Im a big fan of the okidoki style. In my part time job I do Loss Prevention. When I have a shoplifter that wants to fight I just say okidoki

Randy