Automotive concept sculpting techniques may be of help.

Danhorse

Blooded
Guys,

I was looking for info on sculpting techniques as all my previous stuff i did years ago was all freeform organic sculpting, not 'mechanical' like bio helms etc. I caught wind that automotive sculpting techniques are a sensible way to approach this and found a couple of interesting vids......

Maybe this may be of help to encourage further research along this line for noobs like me, and if anyone finds any good info on practical sculpting like this add it to the thread, i would be grateful for more help myself!

Goodness knows we all need help to get those lines smooooooth

3D sculpting automotive tutorial Pt.1

3D sculpting automotive tutorial Pt.2

Cheers

Dan

Elkman

Blooded
Interesting video. I really like how smooth his model came out. (Well, so far I've only watched the first video, but I'm assuming he refines it even more in the second video.)

I wonder how much the modeling techniques rely on Kolb InDeClay. That clay looks like it's a specialty item, mainly for the auto industry, and it has some properties that you don't really find in consumer-grade clays. For example, it looks like you need to heat it up to 55 degrees Celsius to make it pliable enough to mold, although once it gets back down to room temperature it's extremely easy to get a smooth shape on it.

It's easier to find consumer-grade clays like Van Aken Plastilina, Prima Plastilina, or Klean Klay. Any idea on whether the modeling techniques for this video translate well for those clays?

Danhorse

Blooded
Good question Elkman, im still learning too.

Im interested in how practical techniques are used, im aware of more than one who uses automotive background to apply to building/sculpting bios and weapons......