AVP 2 news...

G

gk asylum

A friend of mine is starting pre production
on the new AVP movie next week.
I'm not at liberty to disclose anymore info.
Thought you guys might like to know.
Perhaps he will chime in when he can.
Larry

T

The Big Gunns

Larry man.. I hope your getting to paint for this one. Show those boys how its done.

~Mel

S

Shadow predator

Still waiting for more info, keep us informed when possible. I hope you get the job!

K

kithunter

see this one of the reasons larry is my hero, besides the awesome friendship he shares with me and my family. he is so damn humble about his skillz.

come on kidd, if you won't tell us all how you were asked to work on the film...i just did

that's right bros and bras, mr kidd was asked to go paint some hunters for the new film.
Don't know about you guys but i think that is just about the coolest thing i've heard all year. when he told me that i nearly crapped in my pants.

another member from the board is already working on film

AM

T

tjm023

That is so awesome!!!
Well deserved.
It's cool knowing that some of the talent here be displayed on the silver screen.

Tom

K

kithunter

Maybe someone has been paying attention to us,... Let's hope so.
i think some of the ideas,concepts,suit components we come up with here are just as good if not better than some of the stuff that has made it's way to big screen.

If there is any doubt about that fact.
Just look at the suit thread or some of rob's samurai concepts, larry paint jobs, mel's queen, the 63 suits paint schemes, ALL of the hundreds of bios that have been seen here. Custom armor, weapons etc..etc etc

our passion for it ain't something you buy in a store. We are a bunch of badass M***** F*****s

Andrew

S

seknewb

I agree that there is a lot of GREAT stuff on this forum. Some true passion for the character and the work, and it shows in many of the projects and suits. My hat is off to all of you.

The flip side is that you need to keep in mind schedules and timeframes when you compare the work here with the work being put out that ends up on screen. What I mean by that is this. If you take, for example, Larry's Elder head. He said he spent nearly 2 weeks just on the dreads and who knows how long on the rest of the head and body. It looks incredible. I don;t think anyone can argue that.

Now you look at the work being done for AVP for example. An ENTIRE suit (yes, the whole thing) needed to be painted in a little over a day. That's 8-10 hours gang. Then people wonder why it doesn't compare to Larry's paintwork. It's not a lack of talent. It's simply a lack of time. These things are pumped out as a business. The days of getting months or even years to build the FX for a show are long gone. AVP had dozens of suits, functional Queens in 1/1, 1/3, and 1/4 scale, eggs, facehuggers, scratch-built functional weapons, etc and all needed to be done (nearly from scratch) for the most part in about 2 1/2 to 3 months. That is the reality of working on this stuff for the big screen. Under those types of time constaints, you need to cut corners where things don't "matter". Spending a week painting a single head with every little vein and capillary isn't realistic. It will NEVER be seen on screen. From an artistic standpoint, we would LOVE to have the time and money to do that. To make everything a true piece of art. From a business standpoint, you need to make it "good enough" to get by. It's really as simple as that. All the money in the world can't buy quality if there isn't time enough to make that quality happen.

Additionally, it needs to be remembered that in fewer and fewer instances (especially these days) are the FX shops given any real say in the final looks of the characters they create. They have input, but final word generally comes from someone who wouldn't know "cool" if they were in a freezer. These same people will micro-manage the creatures and effects for weeks or months trying to decide what they want, often changing a FINISHED sculpture at the last moment because they changed their mind and want to move the eyes inward 1/16" or something like that. By the time the sculpts are done and actually approved, there might only be a few weeks left to mold, cast, seam, mechanize, paint, hair, etc. the pieces. I have literally worked on shows where we would be going to set and painting a HERO puppet or suit in the back of the trailer in the parking lot 1/2 an hour before call time. Schedules can be that tight.

On AVP, everything needed to be packed up and sent overseas to Prague for filming. Crates were lost in customs wherehouses (a la Raiders) and then located only to find hydraulic fluid leaking from the smashed contents. The stuff then needs to be re-built on set without all of the shop personal and equipment. Again, just get it "good enough" for screen, and if time permits (which almost never happens), maybe a LITTLE better.

So, is there really any fair way to compare the work here and the work done for the screen when it comes to quality? Not really. They're two different "beasts" (so to speak).

K

kithunter

agreed and very well said,

i find myself having this conversation with many artists young and seasoned just how the industry doesn't really treat it's artists very well, or not so much doesn't treat them well but, the demands they make of the artists involved on a film project.

If you think of the time frame in which this film is to start production, it's 2 months to crank out sets, suits etc etc. not allot of time.
I'm sure if given the right time $$ and the ability to design and create without a beancounter saying to cut corners things would be much different.

It's a business,
all you need to do verify that, is go to a local video store and walk down the new arrivals and look at all the latest releases... there are tons of films that were a blip on the radar and now they are on the racks and pretty much crap

For the "industry" it's all about product, market and branding.

for the film industry it is a business, for us however it is a passion. My statement was never ment taking ANYTHING away from the artists that do the work and inspire us.
It was ment those who are in the freezer as you put it and maybe for them to take note of the fan base that keeps the franchise alive and well 20 something years after the first film.

****, you got a few people here who jump at the chance to work on the film por gratis(free) to learn from those artists. i'm just giving props to those here on the lair past and present who have walked the walk and not just talked the talk, like allot of people have a tendancy to do.

so i agree with your statement 150%

Will the film live up to my expectations......i doubt it, will i go see it ...of course.

Here is the thing, for me personally not for the reasons the 95% of the people out there are going to see it for.
I'll be there to keep the fire burning and to see what creations come from the talented people who work on it..besides i care for "the making of " than the actual film I know that is the true showcase of the talent.

AM

N

Nosfearatu

wow great news, now order them to bring back the original predators!
...seriously!

T

The Big Gunns

Larry congrats on being asked to participate. In my book that is truely an accomplishment.

Andrew.. I love the new look of the board.. its not easy being green is it.

P

PredatoRob

That is great news, man!! I mean beyond great news... that's a fantastic accomplishment. I mean beyond anything I could think of to say. All I have to say is, is just do your thing. Do that thing you do. Or as I say.. go balls out dude. It's hard to paint a Predator, but you, man, you give your pieces life.

Seknewb- Thanks for your explanation/experience in the field of SPFX. That is why I would never make a good FX artist. I don't like being told what to do, and when to have it done. I trulely admire those involved in the field.

I agree with Mel, way to go on the new Lair layout. And a big thanks for mentioning my name brutha. That's just too fuckin cool that you'd lump me in with the rest of this lot.

K

kithunter

I'll pound my chest and flex my muscle for the members of this forum everytime rob. no disrespect to the other costume boards out there.

C

carlart

Wow, it really is a matter of pride having our own Lair members work on the very franchise that has inspired their work as well as everyone else's here. How often does this happen on costume forums?!!
I'm at a loss for words, just impressed as hell---Andy has already said it all on the matter.
Seknewb makes some very good points about the business aspect of the game. His point about the micromanaging aspect is well known to me in my job as a designer. Nothing will f up a project worse than a scatter brained nimrod who can't make up their mind from one minute to the next, rather than let skilled craftsman do what they do best. The corporate mindset is ruining the dedication and passion artists have for their work. I believe there is a way to pair time constraints and quality together. Not everything can be solved in a computer, damn it.
Way to go Larry and "friend!"
carlart
Lairtag.jpg

D

DIAVOLO BIANCO

CONGRATULATION !!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm very very very happy for you man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

seknewb

Andrew - No offense was taken by your post. Hope I didn't come off that way. Was only trying to give some insight into the industry. It seems that every time something cool goes up on the board, it's shortly after that a comment is made about, " why can't the industry people do this good a job... " or something like that. Even Sandy (not to single you out Sandy) made a comment a few months back about the lack of talent these days in the biz and that it can be seen on screen. That simply isn't the case most of the time. Most of the "talent" that was around 10-15 years ago is still here. We just don't have the time and freedom we did back then to do the cool stuff, not to mention the lack of creative scripts and ideas (unless you're at Rick's of course.)