Behemoth Build WIP (with pics)

Discussion in 'Predator Costumes' started by LunaticNic, Jan 2, 2016.

1. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

... phenomenal Idea Predtrooper! Did it work out well?

2. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

yes, but is not so perfect for this, as professional silicone...my personal practice - its not worth it.

3. predtrooper

predtrooper Blooded

Once the good layer of silicon was on for the details it didnt mater what silcon I used after to thicken the layers and worked perfectly, infant for my gauntlets I only used bathroom silicon and brushed it on as its quite thick and the mould came out just as good as when I used the expensive stuff and captured all the details just the same. I wouldn't use it for everything but im not going to waste my money on overpriced silicon for every job

LunaticNic likes this.
  4. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

That is extremely helpful! Thanks Predtrooper! For some reason it didn't dawn on me to try that ... I'll hopefully be getting some of it in the next few days.

5. predtrooper

predtrooper Blooded

I find it best to put it on in thin layers and let it dry then do another and use a spatular to smooth it

LunaticNic likes this.
  6. backbone

backbone Blooded

If you can manage to find it, I know Lowe's used to carry it, look for vm&p naphtha. You can actually use it to thin the bathroom silicone amd get it to capture all the details. That's how I made the mold for my biomask. I actually used the same concoction mixed with oil paint to paint the silicone mask I made. It's been about 3 years and it bonded with the silicone perfectly.

LunaticNic likes this.
  7. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

... this knowledge should make it onto a sticky somewhere on the site! Maybe we should try to compile our knowledge of "budget materials and tools" and create a thread? I'm sure it could help allot of people that come to the site trying to make a suit on a budget. ..

8. backbone

backbone Blooded

Ironically I found that out by digging into old posts here! Youre right, There's so much information about budget stuff like this that has gotten lost or hard to find in such volume of info. You can also take old silicone molds and any scrap silicone that has cured and cut it into chunks to be put on with the outer layers to really add some thickness. That way you recycle and save on the good stuff.

LunaticNic and predtrooper like this.
  9. predtrooper

predtrooper Blooded

There is always a budget option, not everyone has the time or the money to build the perfect suit. Look at the mr muscle man suit, how many people have started something because of that and maybe improved it later, thats why I put my build thead on my "dreads experiment" its not for everyone one but if it helps someone on a buget all the better

LunaticNic likes this.
  10. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

You know adding the scraps should certainly be added to a "common knowledge when molding on a budget section" lol I've wasted so much silicone D:

11. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

Anyway, let me drop some progress XD

20160915_192033.jpg

predtrooper likes this.
  12. predtrooper

predtrooper Blooded

Bit of a blurry photo ! or im just drunk again

LunaticNic likes this.
  13. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

It's a "sneak peak" so its blurry on purpose. .. jk but this is all for today, will resume tomorrow.

20160915_201155.jpg

backbone and predtrooper like this.
  14. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

But wait! There's more!

20160916_111500.jpg

20160916_111507.jpg

20160916_113935.jpg

ryledsilva12 and predtrooper like this.
  15. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

This is it for the most part. Will be doing more work on the spots, unfortunately it got too dark for me to see well enough to continue for today

20160916_200132.jpg

20160916_200140.jpg

16. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

Just added the teeth to see how it would look, however corrected the spots. Still have more to do, but really liking how it's turning out

20160917_194432.jpg

Jmen, Deoran, backbone and 1 other person like this.
  17. predtrooper

predtrooper Blooded

Looking real good. Is it just me but the first bit of spray paint is the scariest thing !

LunaticNic likes this.
  18. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

Thanks !!
    To me molding was infinitely more scary lol airbrushing is rather forgiving while you are working with the light tones in the beginning.

19. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

Still need to do a bit of work here and there, but the mask is mostly complete. Added dreads and teeth out of impatience XD will be removing them to finish the paint work on the teeth etc. But I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

20160920_211233.jpg

20160920_211304.jpg

Deoran, Jmen, Wreav and 2 others like this.
  20. Isubomo

Isubomo Hunter

That's it..you've left the old man in the dust... >.< Was catalogue season again for the last 2 weeks.. didn't touch Isu at all.. LOL

Love the colours bro!!! (y)(y)(y)

LunaticNic likes this.
  21. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

Thanks! Took me nearly 11 hours to paint. I certainly noticed the lack of progress on your part, but just figured you were busy watching a flock of kiwis while sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch of your hobbit-hole ;D

Isubomo likes this.
  22. Isubomo

Isubomo Hunter

my Hobbits holes don't have porches, thanks very much! ;P LOL Cheers Nic :D

LunaticNic likes this.
  23. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

Colors. Are. Perfect.
    :eek:

LunaticNic likes this.
  24. LunaticNic

LunaticNic Hunter

Thanks Jmen ;)

Here's a pic of the thigh armor and I have also started casting the bio

20160923_163817.jpg

20160923_173242.jpg

Isubomo, Jmen and predtrooper like this.
  25. Jmen

Jmen Hunter

No, really, Nic - color scheme is awesome! in a week, or so, i will make sketches for my predator bust with my artist. All progress will be posted. Maybe i even ask you to vote for one:rolleyes:
    Keep going your project, progress is perfect.

LunaticNic likes this.