BIO HELMET LATEX MOLDING TIPS?? PART 2!!

D

darkenism

OK ive painted on a several layers of latex and added some burlap...how many layers of burlap is good? And how many layers of latex should go over the cloth?

*also take a look at the snapping turtle shell im molding...maybe i can tweek it into some cool armor...

DSCF2704.jpg

DSCF2699.jpg

DSCF2696.jpg

DSCF2700.jpg

T

The Big Gunns

Go back through the threads.. there was one here awhile ao on molding with silicone by Carlart.

A latex mold can work.. but it does shrink. It also takes longer to do, and you will only get a couple pulls out of the mold.

~Mel

P

pirkleations

I do believe that MeanGene also did a little tutorial on making a silicone mold from clear 100% silicone caulk from you hardware store.

It worked great for me and a few other Lair members.

I'll try and dig up my copy. It was just a one-page sheet, but took me through the process successfully.

Gene? Any more copies of that you can send?

DangerDavey

D

darkenism

i used a plaster strips casting of the rubies helmet as an armature so i can make sure it fits my mask...now im added clay to go for a cross betwenn a P1 and P2...with my own little twist....

...anybody have tips on smoothing the clay?

DSCF2459.jpg

DSCF2458.jpg

DSCF2457.jpg

DSCF2456.jpg

DSCF2455.jpg

DSCF2454.jpg

DSCF2453.jpg

P

pirkleations

Good question!!

I usually rough up the clay a bit with a small scraper or scubbing pad, then smooth it with a bit of oil-based lotion and a cloth.

Nice sculpt, by the way!!!

DangerDavey

M

Maverick118

I use a variety of rakes. Made a few of my own too, by wrapping ordinary kemper loop tools with guitar string, plus to a kidney shaped clay cutter and dremmeled out a host of teeth in it. I just rough up the surface with the kidney tool then smooth out then rough it up again with the other smaller rakes. It's a bit like using sand paper, you start with the rough and work down to a fine grade. Doing this you get a really smooth surface which is very even.

D

darkenism

thanks for the tips...I will put them to good use!!

Now i have another question. What is the best way to make my MOLD for this bio helmet... does anyone have pictures of their mold? Is is better to do a paint-on latex mold with support shell? or silicone? doesnt silicone have to be a poured blocky and thick mold? or can you paint that on too? do i need to make a special edge or ridge around the edges of my bio helmet?

PICS will help!!!

M

Maverick118

Depends upon what silicone you'd use, you can use normal 100% silicone caulking and mix in a little acrylic paint until the silicone colours

D

darkenism

AWESOME...great pics... thanks! Anyone else have pics to share? i really appreciate any help

T

tommynator1024

I used MeanGene's turorial, and it worked out pretty well. Only problem I had came from letting the resin cure. I had to go in about 8-10 steps, since obviously with the bent shape of the mold, you need the resin to go in the right places in the right thickness, you can't just pour it in, which was a real pain in the ass and very time-consuming. It's an easy and cheap way for one, maybe two bios, but mass production will kill you with this method.

Materials used: clear silicone caulking, in 3 layers, reinforced with fiberglass band (the meshed stuff).

Last edited by a moderator:
D

darkenism

what kind of resin is best? can i use bondo resin? should i stick with the clear kind from the art store? or is there something i should order? sorry for all the questions...i just dont wanna ruin my sculpture for nothin

S

Savage Yautja

Instead of asking everyone how to do everything why don't you first read the threads in the Huntorials. That's what they're there for. You won't learn anything if you just ask for all the answeres and don't try anything yourself.

D

darkenism

i ask...then i try

what a jerk.... dont ever become a teacher

...it was a simple question..... all i needed was someone who wanted to share some info/answers

...not a bunch of attitude.... you can waste effort talkin smack but not answering a question.... asking questions is how you learn...

...imagine me...a tattoo artist... telling a customer...or anyone with a question... "GO FIND OUT YOURSELF!" what an ******* id be

wow...

really...wow...

P

PredatoRob

In the time it took you post that reply, I found threads in the Huntorials section on how to use silicone molds, and several suppliers of resin.

No big deal, that's why we have the "Huntorials" section. So people don't get asked the same question over and over, AND to help out new people so they don't ask the same question over and over. I think that it also kind of helps to avoid situations like this.