Bio magnets

Discussion in 'Predator Props' started by PredaBEAST, Jun 12, 2015.

1. PredaBEAST

PredaBEAST Unblooded

Can anyone link me to or tell me what type of magnets are best for bios? I wore a bio over a latex mask for the first time at phoenix comic con a couple weeks ago. I had to mash it on to stay. It fell off twice but luckily i caught it. I have 2 big ones (1 under the latex mask and one on the bio) i bought from someone online and they can hold each other through my forearm so i know they are strong. I was told to double or triple the magnets up to strengthen the hold. I asked the person that i bought them from how strong they are but he couldn't remember. Thanks for any help

2. Arktic

Arktic Unblooded

You want to get rare earth / neodymium magnets - you don't want to have magnets that are too strong, as you could warp or rip the latex if you pull too hard.

I'd suggest 20mm diameter 2mm or 3mm thick magnets in either N35 or N42 strength. A couple of those should hold a regular weighted resin/plastic bio, but it will depend on what material your bio and how heavy it is as as to how many you need.

Also, remember not to use hot glue to affix neodymium magnets, because the heat will negatively affect their strength.

3. dennybobbutt

dennybobbutt Blooded

I used to earth magnets that are 1"diameter and i know they have a 25 pound pull i epoxied them onto my bio and just placed them into my latex mask under the foam and haven't had a problem with it yet

4. PredaBEAST

PredaBEAST Unblooded

Mine are about the same. Inch diameter and about quarter inch thick. One on bio and one on the inner of the mask on the latex. It holds but only if i push it together really hard and im afraid that it will fall off when i look down. I heard to double them up to make the connection stronger but not sure where to buy. I bought some n45 and they are way too weak to hold through the latex head. I need more to put into a couple other masks too

5. A Hunters Moon

A Hunters Moon Hunter

I've seen folks use anywhere from two to four in their helmets/masks. Typical spots are on each side of the dome, jaw, or both. To keep paint rub at a minimum felt is used over the magnets in the helmet and foam over those in the mask.

PredaBEAST likes this.
  6. PredaBEAST

PredaBEAST Unblooded

Thanks for the tips guys. Does anyone know where to buy some that they believe are good for it. Or maybe an ebay seller?

7. caster0007

caster0007 Unblooded

hello i am about to buy some magnets but i see u speak of numbers like N35 and N42...is this the strength of the pull