Bio Painting / Weathering, STEP by STEP pics…My CELTIC used

S

STEVE0671

I thought I would start a thread on the Bio Painting techniques that I use as there has been quite a bit of interest lately on the subject.
I’m not saying this is the way it should be done but simply sharing the methods I use, Hope you enjoy.

First off, after completely trimming and cleaning up a cast from my CELTIC mould I paint the Bio with grey Primer, this helps to seal the colours that will be laid over the top and helps them to adhere to the surface.

Once this is done I then spray with an Aerosol a Black Satin layer to seal a dark under lay. This will be the base to my dark undertones that you see through the Metal effect.. Leave this to dry though or the silver will mix in and become too dark. Leave around an hour at least.

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Next I apply the silver, (Silver Aluminium metal cote) - Humbrol paints are what I use.

Pic3.jpg

The method I use to start applying this is to use an old rag (towelling) material, something with a risen (pile) texture to it.
This helps to give the metal texture that I get as a first pass. I apply the paint quite sparingly though until I have covered the entire helmet but remember to leave plenty of dark area’s showing through.

Pic4.jpg

Pic5.jpg

Pic6.jpg

The next stage is to apply the same paint but with a tighter texture method, I use a large brush and again using the paint very sparingly I apply over the texture I started with the rag.

Doing this will break up your texture and give you at least two depths of metal texture.

Pic7.jpg

Pic8.jpg

5. Being careful to dry brush so that the risen area’s and edges are getting more paint. This will give it that scorched worn metal feel.

Pic9.jpg

6. After applying the Rag and brush effect, I then go about blending the two together but only around the smooth area (around the cheeks and forehead)
This will give it a more natural blend and give it that smooth yet weathered metal look. This is done using an Airbrush.

Pic10.jpg

Pic11.jpg

Pic12.jpg

7 Now its time to bring back in some of that Black weathered look, you should have still many traces or dark showing through, but by this point after going through many stages of Silver coats, the whole helmet has an appearance of silver and may look too light for your liking. I prefer to have a more broken up look with darks but subtlety done.

Pic13.jpg

I achieve this through then mixing up a Satin black thinned down with Enamel thinners and spray this through an Airbrush on a low psi setting, (around 35 psi).

Pic14.jpg

Pic15.jpg

I literally draw with the airbrush the marks and patches you see in the dome and dark area’s around the face to break up the surface and give that weathered look.

After this has had around an hour to fully dry I then apply a Satin clear coat with an Aerosol, this helps to seal the colours and also dulls down the metal paint to give it the right balance and depth it needs, it now comes across like it has that real screen used look with loads of darks now defined with the clear coat.

Pic16.jpg

Pic17.jpg

Pic18.jpg

Pic19.jpg

9 I find giving the clear coat around a day to dry before I finally install lenses and LED’s. The clear coat is still quite tacky and will pick up your fingerprints if handled too soon.

Mirror Lenses installed….

Pic20.jpg

So there you have it, If I’ve not been too clear on how I went about this then please post here and then I can help describe better for all to see.

Hope this helps

T

THEBUGZ

Umm..Steve? Mate? oh my GOD man!!

Ok that is one bad ass mask! Ive seen this up close and personal and Let me tell you everyone-it is one BADASS MUTHA! Oh man superb work on it man!!

Best of luck in the rest of the orders

Bri

K

kithunter

not much needs to be said except. Truly amazing work stevo

i could stare at that thing all day..... in fact i will

Andrew

Y

Yoda 54

Amazing steve, truly amazing. This really does help alot. By the way what kind of airbrush do u use for this, im new to it and want one really bad.

Yoda

"Do or do not, there is no try."

S

STEVE0671

Hi All,

Thank for your kind words.

Keith I use an Olympus SP-B (Iwata style), used one of these now for 17 years and never looked back, Brilliant airbrush with loads of freedom and great control.

Need to know more on the airbrush side of things? drop me a mail bud.

S

Shovel Face Sharky

Great thread! I think I'll probably be starting my Bio next week. Very helpful!!! Thanks a lot!

Y

Yoda 54

Ok steve i will, sounds good bro. Thanks
Oh and steve, how exactly did u do the very first layers of silver again with the rag. It seems that some parts of the helmet where the rag first goes down would have alot more silver on it.

Yoda

"Do or do not, there is no try."

A

alkalilake

Great paint and great mask. Now for the question we all want to know. When? I'm dying here Steve. What kind of lenses are you using?
Dave

S

sinister70

Now that's what I call a great tutorial Steve. Simple step by step points that even an idiot like me can follow .
I know I'm going to follow this when I get mine. What a top notch job on both the tutorial and the Bio.........AWESOME

A

alkalilake

Steve have you ever tried the Model Master line of buffing metallics? They have a stainless steel that's unreal when buffed out. Looks just like metal. I'll have to try Humbrol, they look pretty good from what you've done.

S

STEVE0671

Thanks again all,

The production is on as we speak on these so it’s just a case of time, I don’t like to give a specific time for each individual as things crop up as we all know and get in the way. I don’t want to promise and then have to let people down so this will be done in as steady and as speedy without compromise as I want to provide anyone within the LAIR the chance to own one.

I have a list and I have an order of names and so on.
As you know I wont take an readies until each one is ready, I don’t want to fall into that old trap that others have, I think we've all learned from that.

Alkalilake: Sounds like a good method for getting the metal look you described there, I know a good friend of mine here in the UK was using something very similar not long ago.

Keith: to answer your question on the Amount of paint being more in area's, you'll find that the paint naturally builds up around the risen area's but I do build it up more in patches to give that more filled in scorched look, ( if you look on the dome in the pictures above you see that’s where I applied more with the rag in the first stage, this was then smoothed and blended in with dry brushing and mainly airbrushing in that order) Hope this helps.

Thanks for all your kind words everyone.

I

Ice1010

Looks damn nice man awesome tutorial, thanks for the tutorial. How many layers of this clear stain did you use on the helmet.

S

STEVE0671

Hi Ice,

I used just the one layer really but sprayed over and over the area's while still wet, be carefull though ( not to be too obvious) but to keep your spray about 15" from what you spray, this will keep the wettness down and allow for it to dry litteraly as it hits the Bio, dont let it get too wet or it will disturb the underpaint and you'll also get segs (runs).

You'll know when your ready as the whole helmet will of taken on a different tone and sheen.

I've had some nasty effects in the past with clear coats, if you use the wrong kind it can crack and loosen up the underpaint as it can react, another way to avoid this is try your best to spray at room temperature, if your outside and its cold to avoid bad fumes indoors, this can go against your finish.

in other words, spray indoors when the misses is out and when she gets back and asks , what that smell?
Just say what smell? must be the dog

I

Ice1010

Thanks for the info..... I shall try this stain paint, thanks for the help.

H

Halo Predator

Awesome tutorial Steve, especially for paint virgins like me...LOL!

Thanks again and awesome Bio!

Tim.

S

Shataan

I just got the Black satin coat on my Budget Celt Bio. Following Steves tutorial. Should be interesting. Hope it turns out. The paint job this Bio came with was questionable. lol