bodysuit idiot guide?

S

skapunkjedi

hi all, im the new boy
Im making my first pred costume, and got a few questions about making the bodysuit.
-Is it best to cut the individual muscle pieces out of foam, and then glue them on to the suit? what kind of glue should i use?
-how about sewing the muscles to the suit?
-will the latex cover any lines made from sticking the muscles on?
-when iv latexed it, what kind of paint should i use? made the mistake of using acrylic when i attempted it before, and my lovely paintjob just cracked up
-and whats the best thing to make the dreads out of? where can i get it?

thanks guys

S

Savage Yautja

-Is it best to cut the individual muscle pieces out of foam, and then glue them on to the suit? what kind of glue should i use?
I think I would, this way you get the muscles exactly where you want them.
You could put down a base coat of latex on a bodysuit cut your muscles out glue on the foam to the latex and coat the foam with more firm mask latex.

What you glue it with depends on what you have to glue the foam to. Wether it's latex or fabric you're gluing it to.

-how about sewing the muscles to the suit? -will the latex cover any lines made from sticking the muscles on?

It's possible and yes it will cover.

-when iv latexed it, what kind of paint should i use? made the mistake of using acrylic when i attempted it before, and my lovely paintjob just cracked up
-and whats the best thing to make the dreads out of? where can i get it?

Use Pro Adhesive mixed with latex acrylic paints 50/50 mix Get it at craft stores.
For dreads I like using foam backer rod from www.doitbest.com !" is a great size to use for most of the dreads.

MEANGENE83

Hunter
Funny how you ask this question NEWBIE!

I am about to paint a bodysuit pair of spandex tights with latex. I will take pictures of the process and show my findings.

GENE

S

Shovel Face Sharky

Gene, Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome. Are you going to post them in this thread or make a new one?

A

Akira Fudou xxx

hi i am working n my body suit as well. i used latex muscle pieces instead of foam. i think latex pieces are easier. i just used super glue to dlue them on and it work fine. here is a pic of mine. its not completed in this pic but its one of my favorite pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

Yautja lover

Yea.. i made the wrong idea of using just craft paint on my body suit and it peeled off and cracked. I think I cried when it happened. Oh well. I know time is pressed for DragonCon, but at least I'm doing it myself (with a few friends helping). I can atleast say I have the mask and dreds completed! She's gonna be purdy! WEE!

MEANGENE83

Hunter
Make sure NEXT TIME you paint, you mix some adhesive into the paints YL.

Do something like spray some PROSAIDE on the surface of the item painting, THEN mix paints with prosaide and then you can apply them without them cracking and peeling.

GENE

Y

Yautja lover

actually, i'm gonna try latex paint, and see how that goes. some fx nuts told me that will just about do the trick, but told me to be sure to seal it afterwords.

MEANGENE83

Hunter
Ya if you dont seal it. It will peel off like a layer of loose skin with the slightest rubbing or friction.

So make sure you perma wet it up nicely.

Also i would mix in or use some rubber cement still. Adhesive in my opinion is always a must, especially with the usage a suit gets, the more the merrier.

GENE

S

Savage Yautja

I'd avoid using rubber cement. Way too toxic inless you have the right equipment. (Respirator)

Y

Yautja lover

hmmm. i knew about the perma wet stuff. got some ordered and just waiting on it to get here! but before i even do that, i still have to wait on the stupid mannequin. gah.

er.. i know this is off the topic.. but... what does "wheelchair hunter" mean, Savage? Does that mean you hunt the disabled people? (its appears under your user name on the left if you were wondering what i was talking about)

H

Hunterpred210

Perma wet is the best. I have used other sealers but perma wet makes it look so much more real.

S

Shovel Face Sharky

Please clarify: Are you saying that if you use acrylic paint on the suit and then perma-wet over the top everything should be fine?

MEANGENE83

Hunter
Spray the BARE LATEX with prosaide. ALL OVER, give it a good spraying.

THEN start mixing your paints, TWEAKER came up with the idea to mix 1/2 paint, 1/2 prosaide. MIX THAT UP.

THEN take the 1/2-1/2 and DOUBLE THAT AMOUNT with alcohol.

THEN use that to spray on your latex.

Mix each color like this and they will never peel or crack.

THEN once your done you can use PERMA WET all over it to seal it, OR!

MEL (THEBIGGUNNS) uses plastidip to seal and protect. She is a PRO so i would go with what she uses, i never really liked the perma wet anyway.

Does this help sharky?

GENE

S

Savage Yautja

er.. i know this is off the topic.. but... what does "wheelchair hunter" mean, Savage? Does that mean you hunt the disabled people? (its appears under your user name on the left if you were wondering what i was talking about)
You'll have to ask Kithunter about that since it was his idea. I saw it there shortly after posting about my birthday. No I don't hunt those in wheelchairs and I'm not disabled. Although if it remains someone else may become disabled ...

Y

Yautja lover

LMAO. i was just wondering... yea.... cause it was rather odd. it stuck out. LOL.

S

Shovel Face Sharky

Spray the BARE LATEX with prosaide. ALL OVER, give it a good spraying.

THEN start mixing your paints, TWEAKER came up with the idea to mix 1/2 paint, 1/2 prosaide. MIX THAT UP.

THEN take the 1/2-1/2 and DOUBLE THAT AMOUNT with alcohol.

THEN use that to spray on your latex.

Mix each color like this and they will never peel or crack.

THEN once your done you can use PERMA WET all over it to seal it, OR!

MEL (THEBIGGUNNS) uses plastidip to seal and protect. She is a PRO so i would go with what she uses, i never really liked the perma wet anyway.

Does this help sharky?

GENE
Gene, yes I think that'll help nicely. I still have a while before I"m in the painting stages, but I'm still saving lots of into and tips for when I get there. Thanks!

M

Morrah Terrah

Hi Akira,

I would like to know where can I find or able to aqiure some muscle like the ones you have for my suit please let me know I appreciated. I would galdly thank you for your support and if there anything you would to get that you don't I would do my best to help you out. So please let me know.

Morrah Terrah