Bodysuit Paint Question

YautjaGirl

Unblooded
For those of you that have painted a bodysuit (lycra or similar), do you find that paint goes through and adheres to the mannequin/dummy? I would assume it does, so I'm wondering if it's possible to get the paint off afterwards? I have a nice mannequin that just happens to be my exact measurements (lucked out on that one!) and she is made of some form of hard plastic. She would be ideal to use for painting a bodysuit but I don't want to ruin her for future projects/display.
I'm concerned that paint thinner or similar would melt the plastic stuff she's made of.
I suppose I could buy lots of masking tape and just mask her..
Any thoughts?

lflank

Hunter
For those of you that have painted a bodysuit (lycra or similar), do you find that paint goes through and adheres to the mannequin/dummy?

I didn't have that problem. But I did try to avoid spraying too much in one spot.

But occasionally I hot glue stuff to bodysuits while I am wearing them (so they fit properly), and to prevent the glue from soaking through and sticking to me, I wrap myself with saran wrap first. You may be able to do something similar to your mannequin.

EDIT: I don't use a mannequin---I just stuff the bodysuit full of newspaper, and the only reason I do that is to expand the seams along the sides so it doesn't leave a stripe.

Estelle

Hunter
Yeah you are correct in your assumption, the paint will definitely go through. If you are using a fabric paint; take createx,for
example, it will pretty much wash off of any hard surface, namely plastic-which is hard to get paint to adhere to anyway.
~Estelle

I didn't have that problem. But I did try to avoid spraying too much in one spot.

But occasionally I hot glue stuff to bodysuits while I am wearing them (so they fit properly), and to prevent the glue from soaking through and sticking to me, I wrap myself with saran wrap first. You may be able to do something similar to your mannequin.

EDIT: I don't use a mannequin---I just stuff the bodysuit full of newspaper, and the only reason I do that is to expand the seams along the sides so it doesn't leave a stripe.
I used grocery store plastic bags to stuff my suit and they worked very good

lflank

Hunter
Yeah you are correct in your assumption, the paint will definitely go through. If you are using a fabric paint; take createx,for
example, it will pretty much wash off of any hard surface, namely plastic-which is hard to get paint to adhere to anyway.
~Estelle

I suppose it depends on what paint one uses. I sprayed my suits with plain ole ordinary Krylon, and had no trouble with it soaking through the fabric.