Building On Top of a Latex Mask

P

Polygon

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for sculpting on top of a latex mask. For example, if I want to sculpt or add new mandables, what would be appropiate to use in conjunction with the latex material so that it blends in at least with the rest of the mask?

Basically, I bought the AVP deluxe mask, and I'm looking to heavily modify many of the details for increased quality and believability (I probably should have purchased one of the raw casts, but this is my first time with the costume).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Poly

P

pirkleations

If you are talking about the mask that comes with the vacuformed bio, here is what I would do.

Take some hanger wire to form the basic addition to the mask and secure it to the mask with duct tape and then liquid latex over that connection.
Then take some damp paper towels and wrap them around the wire framework to build up the shape you want the final addition to have. The paper towels will dry in the proper, new shape.(Not unlike paper mache, but without the glue)
After it all dries, you should be able to put more latex over that to blend in with the rest of the mask surface.

That's the easiest and most cost-effective way I can think of to do the job.

Anyone else got some good ideas?

~DangerDavey

T

The Big Gunns

Normally I would use cotton and latex to build the shape. Then use cabopatch (a mixture of prosaide and cabosil)to smooth everything out. You can buy both at www.fxwarehouseinc.com You can also mix the cabosil in with the latex to make it thicker. The cabopatch is smoothed with 99% alcohol.

~Mel

P

pirkleations

Listen to the Queen. She knows what she's talking about!!

I may use that tip as well, Mel!! Thanks!!!

~DangerDavey

P

Polygon

Thanks a lot everyone

I recently spoke with XCalibor and I'm going to be receiving a good raw cast of the face pretty soon as opposed to using this cheap AVP deluxe mask.

However, those suggestions will come in handy for other parts of this suit.