Can you dress up a turd (new bio pics)??

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

keefer649

Well, so my project begins. Made up a about 40 dreds, and with alot of trial and error, I think they came out half decent. Biggest pain was finding some paint that would stick to them (light grey backer rods)and not crack off. Started attaching them to the mask, at first they stuck out too much, but after about a day of hanging properly, they do what they should. Still looks like poop with the bio off, and I have a better bio coming any day now thru e-bay. But, it looks half decent, with what I have to work with. Thoughts???
152_5212.jpg

152_5211.jpg

152_5214.jpg

152_5213.jpg

D

depredador1997

If you can get a can of (plasti dip) black color,you could use that for your dreads.... I used it before and doesn't crack..(just my experience). the mask looks good man....keep up the good work.

K

keefer649

Thanx for the comments. I did look for the Plasti-dip, as I read that in another post somewhere, but I cant find it anywhere around here. I am in Toronto, Canada, I went to the local Home Depot, and they never heard of it. After some experimenting with some different paints (tried some auto paints, some that are made for painting vinyl, your dash board etc, cracked off like crazy), I found some Krylon paint that sticks to plastic supposedly, and it seems to be holding out well. Have had to repaint the dang things 3 times already...but think I am finally done. Have about 8 more dreds to attach, just to fill in a few holes, and am waiting for the semi-good bio to arrive...cant wait! Then its on to the rest of the costume..good thing I started early this year for halloween, its going to take a while.

S

sinister70

Not really sure why you think that you've not done a good job. I had the same trouble with mine, I had no access to plasti dip and found that black artists acrylic and clear acrylic gloss worked fine. As for the way the dreads hang, a bit of bending and shaping them by hand to get them to hang how you want worked for me and then let gravity do it's thing. Like you've said and I'll echo this "We do the best with what we have." And you have certainly done that.

K

keefer649

Thanx again! I dont necessarilly think I did a bad job, its just that its one of those Rubie's masks, which are no comparison to the other masks that are around the lair. Thats why I am just going to make sure that the bio stays on! As long as I have I half decent Bio, I'll be happy. Actually, I am quite pleased with how its turning out.....it looks much better in person, the pics seem to look a little 'wrong' with the flash and all, and the tripod doesnt help either!LOL, but it works!

K

keefer649

Actually, attaching the dreds was the easiest part so far! I set the mask on a foam head (the kind that is used to display wigs, masks etc.), and stuck it on top of a camera tripod, just so I could work on it while seeing what it will look like as if it was on my head. Since this is the rubies mask, it doesnt have the typical holes at the back where you glue your dreds. I just took an x-acto (or craft knife) and on each existing fake dred, made a cut like an "X", and then stuffed the dred in the hole. I did this 1 at a time, and just started filling in the empty spaces, till it looked right. Was that easy. Now, I still have to glue the inside of the mask where each dred has been inserted, just to make sure they dont fall out, but I dont think they will, they are in there pretty tight. Once I take care of that, I will post some pics of it on my head. I have to pull all the dreds that you see in the pics out of the mask anyways, and re-paint them with the good paint I finally found, as the ones you see are all cracking, especially where I inserted them into the mask. I will also take some pics of the mask where the holes ("X") are that I cut, just to give you an idea of what I am talkin about. Hopefully should have all that done by end of this weekend.

K

keefer649

Just to give you a quick idea of the beginning, here are some "before" shots

Original Mask, no modifications
Before1.jpg

Definately needs work! Strap has to go....so do those brutal dreds!
before2.jpg

After adding some dreds
151_5174.jpg

And some more
151_5173.jpg

V

vampro

I could be wrong, But I thought that I read in a past thread that if you use a heat gun or maybe it was a hair dryer on the backer rod it will turn black.I have not used backer rod so I dont have first hand knowledge. If this is true I hope it helps. If I misread something sorry.

P

pirkleations

If you are very careful and don't over-cook the rods, you can use a heat gun to turn the grey backer rods darker with the heat alone. I don't think they go completely black. But they do go dark enough for an Elder-style dred color.

DangerDavey

N

NibsFlibble

You did a VERY fine job putting your 'head' together! Looks just fine to me! A lot of people start off with whatever they can get their hands on. So what if you bought the Rubie's mask, YOU made the modifications, YOU put it all together to make something special. THAT is what creativity is all about!

Now, get going on the rest of the costume ..... NOW!!!!

Y

yautjafanboy

I was very dubious about using a rubies mask as I personally dont like it, but seing how youve don it has inspired me to cive it a crack, I wondeer if I can get my uk small bio over it? any way it seems judging from your work, that you can indeed dress up a turd! nice one!

more pics please

fried chicken? rename it to Fricken! save time.

K

kithunter

I would say Hell yes you can dress up a turd..

nice upgrade on that rubies, now all you need to do is re-weather the bio i never liked the grated cheese finish they put on those.

again i commend you, You've given hope to all turds around the world

AM

C

CyberPred

I agree.

Plasti Dip works great.I suppose you could dip them in liquid latex.Like a candle. Build them up in a few layers.

Looks better than the mask.

Cary

K

keefer649

Again I say thanks to all the comments and suggestions! Means alot coming from the talent on this forum. Actually, I have already used a heat gun on my dreds, thats what I used to taper them. I used it all over them, and did notice the color get darker a wee bit, but not enough to my liking. Just wish I could have found some backer rods that were black in the first place, but none to be found around here. I know there was one site posted on the forum that had black ones, but they didnt deliver to Canada.

K

keefer649

I agree on the bio, which is part of the reason I am ditching it.....I ordered one from e-bay, hopefully it fits the mask! I plan on putting on some lasers, and I have some mirrored safety glasses which should work nicely for the bio lenses. Then, its time to start working on the upper body armour....I am going for the AVP look.

Status
Not open for further replies.