cold foam Dreads

S

Shovel Face Sharky

Ok, so I have enough to do about half of the back of my mask.
I've heard that this stuff can be expensive and (I think I remember hearing) tricky to work with. So, that being said:
Does anyone have experience with cold foam dread making?

If so, I'd like to talk and either figure out a way to help me out or, maybe have someone make a set for me, although this is only a last resort. I really don't want to mix foam and backer rod dreads, so please help me out here!

By the way, if any of you fellow Michigan hunters would be interested, that'd be even better as we could get together and maybe I can learn some things from ya'll I'm in Lansing, if you care to know.

S

Savage Yautja

We're getting a good group in Michigan. I'm in Zeeland, a buddy of mine is in Wyoming, part of Grand Rapids along with another guy in Byron Center. Colin in Muskegeon, I think Kimmy is in Lansing, mgrmax(Mike) and Mr Fett (Andy) are in Michgan as well.

S

Shovel Face Sharky

Yes, I know you're in Zeeland (awesome highscool there. Looks like a friggin' mall )
I think I talked to Kimmy a few months ago (before I got the new puppy) and I want to say she's not in Lansing, but in Williamston, but I'm not too sure.

Anyway, how about some thoughts on the dreads now?

S

Savage Yautja

I haven't tried it yet myself but what if you mixed paint with the latex and coated foam backer rod dreads with the latex? This would be the same as making latex dreads and stuffing them with polyester or vegatable oil coated backer rod. Just make sure whatever you do that it isn't too heavy when you wear it. Otherwise you'll have a sore neck.

M

Moose Matson

Man...Mark always forgets about me. Sheesh!! Lansing is right next door. I live in Howell Michigan, and I think Mel is moving up here as well.

T

The Big Gunns

Hey Sharky..

In order to make cold foam dreads, you need a mold. I haven't tried it yet, but I was going to expirement with making a mold of a backer rod dread. I think the thread on making backer rod dreads is still here. If you want to learn more about making molds and materials, check out the monsterlab (its an ezboard).
And one sweet little piece of advice I give everyone who uses cold foam.. always wear a respirator.. unless cyanide gas is your thing ~Mel

A

Akira Fudou xxx

i am cating some dreds as we speak. they are cold foam dreds with a latex skin. i decided to do them this way cuz i think its a lot easier and they look more sleek. this method makes the mold making way easyer and cheaper and you dont have to worry about cold foam sticking to the mold. i made a test dred and it came out perfect with awesome flexibility.

M

MEANGENE83

Jess its not nice to lie!

YOU RECASTED YOUR WHOLE SUIT!!!

U HACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VIVA LA MEXICO!!!

H

hammernuts5150

You dont need to use a latex skin. With the proper mold making and pouring of foam, you can use just the polyfoam. Its way easier to seam the dreds wit no latex. You can also tint the polyfoam black and save yourself a shitload of painting.

Is this true, are you a recaster?

Dan.

M

MEANGENE83

HAHAA i was joking dude.

He aint a recaster, i was just busting his chops.

GENE

A

Akira Fudou xxx

ya you dont need to make a latex skin but a mold for coldfoam is a lot more expensive to make than for latex, and you can also die the latex black, but i just like this better it seems easier for me. and gene i take it your still in love with me since you pic on me still.

M

MEANGENE83

Forever and always!!!!

I will love you forever.

I did the whole latex dreds filled with cold foam. Kinda sucked balls seeing as i only had one mold to work from. TOOK FOREVER to make 7 of them.

GENE

T

The Big Gunns

Jess..
Take it from me.. tint your latex! After painting god knows how many on the albino I wouldnt wish that on anyone! ~Mel

I

inkdoctor

i live in stockbridge not far from williamston, howell ore lansing. i just bought a set from a guy that has the best cold foam self skinning dreads ive ever seen. they come with a set of 70 resin beads in your choice of styles predator or AVP. for 195.00 shipping included and he had them to me within a couple days. im just finishing up the dreads today after about a month of dry brushing. i cant believe theres other people within a 10 to 20 mile area of my little hick town that have predator costumes as well. i thought i would be the only guy around here anyway that would have one. i havent even got to start painting the suit yet im gonna be crammin to get it done buy halloween.

S

Shovel Face Sharky

I guess were in the same area and the same boat inkdocotr.
I've been busy busy with everything lately (unfortunately, not my costume). Been getting ready for a BIG party this weekend for the MSU/UofM game and then it's my birthday next weekend, so there goes two weekends of good working time.
Anyway, hopefully I'll have it done by Halloween *crosses fingers*

I

inkdoctor

cool shovel face, glad to see others in the area. i'm gonna get the darn thing done in time though. im not shure im gonna get my animatronic for my blades instaled in time. or the electronics in my computer gauntlet. but around the 15th im taking that week off. and im gonna blast that thing done even if it means not sleepin for a few days. plus i only work 4 days a week so im gonna use every day open before halloween to get it done. now i just need to find out where theres some good costume contest close buy that have a high cash prize for the winner so i can hopefully get some of my money back. which im shure id just put it right back into the costume.