Color Scheme Help, Please.

xeobalth

Unblooded
Hello, I'm about to start painting my first predator build and I would love any advice input on the color scheme I should use. I am making the avp predator, so very armor heavy but with a twist. I am going to make a variation of Darth Maul. My Mr.I suit will be primarily red with the Darth Maul black tribal tattoos similar to DM version. I am not using the predator face, just the helmet armor. I thought about making the dreads red and most of the armor a pristine mettalic black. I was then going to outline/somehow use red in the armor, but that's where I'm stuck. Should I keep the dreads black, make them red? How should i add red to the armor? Is mostly all black armor s bad idea? Here is a link to my album so far.https://m.facebook.com/joshstarkcosplay/albums/252776008247283/?ref=bookmark

Tl:Dr. Making a Darth Maul Avp predator, what color scheme should I use?

HAL1138

Hunter
I think you'll loose alot of detail if the armor is all black. What about using a variation of reds, blacks, and greys. Perhaps make your predator's skin more of a darker red tone with all of the molted inperfections in black and a rust brown. Maybe use a more DarthMaul red for small detailing on the armor with a mix of black and a gun metal grey. The more variety in your color pallet the better. It will add depth to the overall look.

Looking forward to your build!

Iittle after thought... Perhaps you can keep the armor in black and gunmetal and add the brighter red decorative as writings in aurebesh. Like Wolf's bio only with the SW flare.

xeobalth

Unblooded
HAL1138 said:
I think you'll loose alot of detail if the armor is all black. What about using a variation of reds, blacks, and greys. Perhaps make your predator's skin more of a darker red tone with all of the molted inperfections in black and a rust brown. Maybe use a more DarthMaul red for small detailing on the armor with a mix of black and a gun metal grey. The more variety in your color pallet the better. It will add depth to the overall look.

Looking forward to your build!

Iittle after thought... Perhaps you can keep the armor in black and gunmetal and add the brighter red decorative as writings in aurebesh. Like Wolf's bio only with the SW flare.
Thanks for the tips.  I'll run it by my painter (wife) and see what she thinks.  She's more artistic than me, I'm the builder, she's the painter.  I'm not a huge fan of the aurebesh writings on the armor, I like it on the helmet, but I'm not entirely sold on the armor.  I love symmetry, think Iron Man, and that's what makes this so hard.  I'm a perfectionist and when I don't have a schematic to follow, I'm stuck staring at the armor for hours.  

Also...I feel like I'm talking to a celebrity!! I've seen your little girl's predator all over the internet and I LOVE it.  I've had people post it to my fb wall because they know I'm making an armor.  It's so freakin cool/darling!  It's honestly one of the cutest thing's I've ever seen, and my wife is gonna find it so funny, that of all people to give me advice on the internet, I somehow found the maker of that armor. :D

HAL1138

Hunter
LOL!!!! You sound like my husband and his perfectionism. He won't start anything until he has it all planned out on paper. I'm exactly the opposite and just dive in thinking I'll figure it out as I go along. I usually change my direction a few times anyway and my original design is more of a "startng point" rather than my goal. :p

I'm sure your pred will turnout great. You have a fantastic armor base!