Coolprops Guardian Predator Helmet (Gort Helmet)

Guan Thwei

Elite Hunter
Art Andrews said:
Hahaha... no, someone paid a LOT more than you guys will through Sideshow to get it shipped form Japan...
I hope that by ordering through BBTS will not loose any quality, but I dought it though.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
I can't imagine there will be any difference (maybe a slight repackage for the US?) in the actual product... although you should have ordered through Sideshow using our affiliate...

Guan Thwei

Elite Hunter
Art Andrews said:
I can't imagine there will be any difference (maybe a slight repackage for the US?) in the actual product... although you should have ordered through Sideshow using our affiliate...
Was not sure if payment would be taken asap or payment plan was required. I just took what I saw at the time I can make the adjustments as long as payment can wait until Jan of the release mainly because I still have Christmas buying to do before the closing of the holiday season.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
Will take more shots tonight, but here is the initial shot:

First impressions: WOW! I haven't been this excited for a Predator piece since I got one of George's cast from the original mold stunt helmets! I have always loved the Gort helmet and while there are some amazing replicas out there, I wanted something cast from the original. Well, this is IT!!!

The helmet is packaged almost identical to your typical Sideshow piece, but in a lot of ways I like this better.

This APPEARS to be an uncleaned casting. It has buggers. It has irregularity. It is imperfect... and that is how I want it!

And the stand. OMG.... Cooltoys, I would buy a stand like this for EVERY one of my Predator masks as opposed to those useless monstrosities Sideshow puts out with their masks. This actually holds the mask up in a very vertical position that allows you to place it in cool places, like on top of a deltof case! GREAT GREAT stand.

The mask itself is a simple cast and doesn't have the back that you see on Sideshow masks, so in that regard, this is more true to what would be seen in production, although for a collector, it might feel a little unfinished. The lenses are VERY basic. Nothing special there, but you can see through them and they get the job done.

The paint is the only area that I could complain about, but then, I have NEVER seen a factory paint job that I loved. From a few feet back it looks great, but up close... meh.

Anyway, here it is!

predator-original-vs-gort-guardian.jpg

predator-guardian-gort-mask-cool-toys.jpg

Last edited:

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
Alright, finally got better photos of the production copy of the Guardian / Gort helmet. BTW, there is no number on the helmet itself, but the box says #84. Again, the paint doesn't look too bad from a couple of feet away, but up close, it leaves a little to be desired.

cool-props-predator-guardian-gort-mask-01.jpg

cool-props-predator-guardian-gort-mask-02.jpg

cool-props-predator-guardian-gort-mask-03.jpg

cool-props-predator-guardian-gort-mask-04.jpg

cool-props-predator-guardian-gort-mask-05.jpg

cool-props-predator-guardian-gort-mask-06.jpg

Last edited:

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
One of the concerns I had about this helmet was its generation and whether it had shrunk or not. Luckily, like the backpack from P1, this helmet has a number of found parts on it. Now, you have to consider that those found parts were pressed into a clay sculpt, then that was molded and the production helmet cast from that mold.

On the chin of the helmet is one of the engine parts, also found on the backpack (nice to see that the helmet and the backpack were originally styled the same way). The original found part I have is 26.70 mm tall the part on the CoolProps casting? 26.49... a 0.787% decrease. Not too shabby!

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
Alright... final post... I hope. It is interesting to note that in the earliest P1 photos, the Gort helmet has solid lenses, but when we see it again, years later in the collector's market, it has mesh lenses. I assume (does anyone know for sure?) that this was changed for P2. Anyway, CoolProps is marketing this as a P2 helmet, but put the P1 style lenses in it. For anyone who might want to mod it, the lenses appear like they would come out pretty easily as they are simply attached to the inside.

Python

Blooded
Great pictures again! I think Gort looks better with the original lenses but it does seem weird that they would push it as a P2. Maybe because that is the only place it officially appeared as it was cut from P1. They can market it as screen accurate now. That or they just aren't as observant as yourself and didn't notice the difference ;)

Mr Fett

Elite Hunter
Art Andrews said:
The original found part I have is 26.70 mm tall the part on the CoolProps casting? 26.49... a 0.787% decrease. 
This is the most "Art Andrews" post I've seen in a while.  :D