Couple of questions (WARNING long and might be boring)

A

acerhater

Ok guys and gals here we go with a few questions. I look forward to seeing your input as I respect your skills, especially after seeing what you have been able to do. I actually want to commission a suit but still want to do a bit of the work myself. I would want to get an unpainted suit and paint it myself. I am interested in a suit without the armor molded on also so that I can change armor types as it suits me. Again I would want it unpainted as I would like to paint it myself. Also I would like to try my hand at molding my own armor and that way I could eventually wear what I created on my body suit.

So, here are a couple of questions on painting on latex.
1.)&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp I have seen people posting about mixing acrylic paints with latex and using it in your airbrush to paint the latex with. Will only acrylic paint work? Or can you use other types such as an enamel or epoxy? There are some specialty automotive paints I would like to try do you think they would work?
2.)&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp For a clear coat would you recommend high quality polyurethane or some other? I know polyurethane would work on hard parts like a bio but not sure about the softer latex.

As far as the body suit goes I was thinking of a spandex muscle suit rather than a suit that was molded. The reason behind this is that by using a spandex suit it would conform to my body better. I have seen some great molded suits but don’t fit the wearer well at the bend parts such at elbows and knees. They look good until the wearer bends their arms and you get a big loose flap of rubber that I feel spoils the illusion of it being skin and makes it just look like a suit of rubber. You understand what I mean? So a couple of questions regarding body suits.
1.)&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Do you agree with my assessment on the problems inherent with the molded suits?
2.)&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Would a one piece suite with a zipper down the back work better than a two piece suite?
3.)&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Everyone says to use the heavier mask latex to coat a suit with. I have seen it said to roll it on with a paint roller. Could this stuff be thinned and sprayed on?
4.)&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp I take it several light coats would have to be used so that the latex would not fill in the muscle definition. Approximately how thick would these several layers have to end up so that it was durable enough to still show clear muscle definition?
5.)&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp I know a molded suit would give better skin like appearance as you can texture the clay with skin textures that you make the mould of. Can you give the rolled on latex a skin like texture by using texture stamps on it before the final layer dries?

Any and all suggestions and answers would be appreciated. Also any one who would be interested in taking a commission on my first suit just email or pm me, my email addy is holt (dot) family (at) verizon (dot) net. I think you can get a general idea of what I am looking for but we can get more specific by talking more in depth later. I would be looking for a good quality suit as my first one. That way when I attempt to make my second one by myself I wont have to worry about screwing up my only suit and not having one to wear but could just tear it down and start over and still have a great costume to wear when needed. Thanks for taking the time to read through this long boring post (if you didn’t read it all I understand….lol).

A

acerhater

Oh and let me add that I am more interested in doing an AVP body and armor. Just more partial to the bigger, bulkier predator. And at 6'2" and 210lbs I think it would fit my frame better.

D

Dragonskinstudio

i make P2 and AVP suits ill be finishing my P1 next year along with a new P1 mask....firstly any water based paint can be mixed with latex ..do not mix enammels or celi based paints with latex or it will curdle.....secondly resins will not stick to latex ..it will crack off...that is used for hard non flexable serices or casting parts from a soft mould...pore a kast is the most common but its week at under 2mm in thickness...i can go in to hardnesses of resins ete but this thread will get very large,,.....as for skin thats personal choise.....i agree with you on the non hugging latex skins ...thats where good fitting comes in to play as well as a bit of liquid foam comes in to stop the sagging and large wrinkles/folds ete....if you wanted a one piece suit made it would have to be your size or it will sag.....but they are better looking than 2 piece skins...all latexs can be made thinner with distilled water and amonia..also just to mention paint latex is not casting latex.....but as rule of thumb all latex comes from the same tree types its just the additives used that change the properties some what.....i wouldnt use a roller i would thin it and spray the latex....my skins are already textured but more can be added ...its always best to have this detail from the mould unless you know how to aply prosthetic layering to the skin...hope this helps you out.....dragon-skin-studio.tripod.com/

H

Hunterpred210

so would this mean mixing casting latex acrylic and distilled water won't work?

A

acerhater

Now thats what I am talking about. You guys are a wealth of very enlightening information, thanks Dragon. I actually have your website bookmarked as I have visited it several times before, been waiting to see some pics of the AVP computer. Awsome work. Good to know about the latex paint/mask latex. I kinda figured that might be the case but wasn't positive. Well that kinda rules out some of the paints I wanted to use on the soft parts but not a total loss I can still use them on the hard parts. So would I want to get a neutral colored latex paint and add color or really water down the mask latex and add color to that to paint?

D

Dragonskinstudio

yes hunter it will work....but why would you want to spray casting latex?.....it peals!!!.....use moulding latex as your paint base for spraying .....the term latex paint base is just a filtered moulding latex with more water and ammonia added.....

acer...send me an email at Redbulls_@hotmail.com
and ill send ya some pics of the AVP computer

life is an experiment ..."if only i can find the right solution"

A

acerhater

Will do Dragon. On another note I am going to get a new compressor and after looking around have decided on the Iwata Power Jet. Has any one here had any experiance with this compressor? Everything I have read on it is positive and it is made by Iwata who makes awsome airbrushes.