Custom P1 Build - Molding Feet 10/3/13 - Nord Predator

wonko

Hunter
Slick_Predator said:
Okay... its almost here (tomorrow) :)
XilianX2010 said:
I beg your pardon?
I was wondering that too.  Back to the topic at hand, that's a good tip from Tom.  Something else to try is dry brushing in a lighter color to help add the the "depth".  Make sure you're using an old brush, and get some paint on it.  Then, brush off almost all of the paint so there's very little left on the brush.  You can now very lightly brush over the bead, leaving a small amount of paint on the high spots.  All my beads are done this way...one base coat of copper, washed with thin black, and dry brushed with bright gold.  I was taught that anything 3D needs 3 different colors in 3 different layers to make it look real, so I try and go by that.  So far it's worked well.

XilianX2010

Blooded

I was wondering that too.  Back to the topic at hand, that's a good tip from Tom.  Something else to try is dry brushing in a lighter color to help add the the "depth".  Make sure you're using an old brush, and get some paint on it.  Then, brush off almost all of the paint so there's very little left on the brush.  You can now very lightly brush over the bead, leaving a small amount of paint on the high spots.  All my beads are done this way...one base coat of copper, washed with thin black, and dry brushed with bright gold.  I was taught that anything 3D needs 3 different colors in 3 different layers to make it look real, so I try and go by that.  So far it's worked well.

Thanks :) though i only have black, light brown, silver, and red ink, so i'm aliitle limited, but thank you for the advice :)

XilianX2010

Blooded
Hey guys! No pics but an update! I have ordered 50 22' dreads from Milk, and they should be here by next weekend. I'll also be purchasing the monster hands soon, and get back onto painting the beads. As for the feet. I've decided I need different clay. I plan on getting some Chavant clay because it looks fantastic! And I need a better clay. So I can get more soon of that. 

Also, when it comes to sculpting the body suit (torso and legs) I'll sculpt the armor right onto it, like Termokk does. It'll make it easier, and less of a hassle when suiting up. I'll need plenty more clay, slush latex, paint, and maybe Perma-Wet when it comes too the body suit, but I have a job, do I can work for money over time.

Thanks guys, more pictures soon :) 

-XilianX2010

Last edited by a moderator:

XilianX2010

Blooded
Hey guys! Update :)

Well the seal for the mask should be here in two days, and Milk is almost done with my dreads. And as I earn more money for better clay to use on my feet. I decided to do something productive for my project. And since I realized making the gauntlets sculpted onto the torso wouldn't be a good idea, I decided to go back to foamie and foam board.

I took my time, and I still have along way to go, adding details and such. I started with he blade gauntlet. I think the bomb gauntlet is took difficult and I should try this one first. I also lack the tools to make my ow plastic blades, so I might have to buy some. But here's what I got so far with a Pringles can and some foam board (Thank you vini for the gauntlet tutorial) :)

Beginning: 
IMG_3083_zps04df8426.jpg

IMG_3087_zps06f60dbf.jpg

IMG_3085_zps22115947.jpg

IMG_3086_zpsc51cfc04.jpg

It won't look perfect, but this is coming out much better than my previous attempts.

Thanks for looking guys. Hopefully I can post pics soon once dreads and varnish arrive. And I can get started with my feet again once I get more clay. And purchase my Oomoo Silicone mold supplies once I start my bio sculpt (I will do this once I purchase new clay) 

XilianX2010

XilianX2010

Blooded
Update! 

So, I'm going shopping today at hardware store to pick up things I need for gauntlets and neck-ring. I'll be making the neck-ring out of baker rod. So, to finish a smaller misc. to my suit, I made my "bone" necklace. I used the sculpey from my foot (which I tore apart, since I'll be using different clay) and use small tusks for my necklace. I also added some wooden beads. It's a custom necklace, since this a custom build. I baked the clay so it was hard enough for the necklace. 

IMG_3088_zps20cb90a9.jpg

Close up on teeth
IMG_3089_zps6fd6b715.jpg

It can sit with my mask, just to add a look (the mask is sitting at the end bedpost, so it's kinda creepy to wake up in the middle of the night ot see it sitting there) XD
IMG_3090_zps0f46422d.jpg

Varnish should come today, and I'll get some more supplies. 

List:
Dreads
Dread beads
Mask
Torso
Legs
Bone Necklace
Neck-ring
Feet
Hands
Netting
Blade Gauntlet
Bomb Gauntlet
Blades
Bio

Anything not crossed-out is yet to be made/purchased :)

-XilianX2010

XilianX2010

Blooded
Quick update 

Well there's good news and VERY bad news

Good news: I added more to my gauntlet, making more progress, and will be starting my bomb gauntlet soon. I made a neck ring (yet to be painted) and I'll now be purchasing dreads from froggy without any wait. Also, my mask finally got a protective gloss seal. I'll post pictures soon on that. :) 

Bad news: ...the nozzle on my airbrush is broken, it won't screw back on. I hope there can be a replacement, and not a very expensive price. (It's an Iwata Neo...) But this will delay me from finishing my blade gauntlet, and paint anything else. So sculpting will have to be my next step. 

Here's some pictures on my progress on Blade gauntlet:

IMG_3093_zpsa1efd5dd.jpg

IMG_3094_zps4d0715f6.jpg

IMG_3095_zps63739e27.jpg

IMG_3096_zps20812c3a.jpg

IMG_3097_zps1faa4238.jpg

IMG_3098_zps79807e1d.jpg

Wearing it is the fun part, only wish I had the blades :3
IMG_3099_zpsfad36554.jpg

That's all for now. Hopefully the dreads will be here soon, and I can FINALLY reveal my finished mask to my friends and family. (They have now idea what the newest paint job or the new feature look like).

-XilianX2010

XilianX2010

Blooded
List:
Dreads
Dread beads
Mask
Torso
Legs
Bone Necklace
Neck-ring
Feet
Hands
Netting
Blade Gauntlet
Bomb Gauntlet
Blades
Bio

-XilianX2010

XilianX2010

Blooded
Mask is now completed! 

I'll get some better pictures soon with me wearing it, I need to super glue the dreads in, and use my mum's camera. For now, it's just an awesome decoration:
IMG_3132_zps2296e87f.jpg

IMG_3133_zps47316724.jpg

IMG_3134_zpsed268eaa.jpg

IMG_3135_zps32b1dc74.jpg

IMG_3136_zps8b3ecfc4.jpg

IMG_3137_zps6ee9158b.jpg

IMG_3138_zpsd51e48d8.jpg

IMG_3139_zps1a78df37.jpg

IMG_3141_zpsebf2fe5a.jpg

The dreads were purchased from Ebay. I am unsure if the seller it s fellow hunter...Hmmm...

-XilianX2010

XilianX2010

Blooded
Hey guys! Long time no see! 

Well I'll SOON have more clay, and can start sculpting the feet, bio, torso and legs. Also I've got some PVC and will start making the blades.

I'll finish the gauntlets once get a new airbrush, and when I buy the monster hands, and then repaint them. 

PVC armature:
IMG_0155_zpsd361fb10.jpg

IMG_0156_zps3cf60a6b.jpg

Hopefully I'll have some more pictures up soon :)

-XilianX2010

MiamiSett

Young Blood
Great looking build.  I love seeing preds in different skin colors like blues and greens.  Awesome work hope to see more from this project.

XilianX2010

Blooded
Here for a small quick update on small things of the build. Hopefully I can get more clay soon and start on the feet and bio. And once I have enough, start the body sculpt. I have enough plaster, but then will need the silicone. Here's some pics:

Bone Necklace (redone, the other didn't work):
IMG_0389_zps407ea392.jpg

Spray painted PVC Plastic blades. I might redo the spray paint with a shiny metal color to be more realistic:
IMG_0390_zps52425965.jpg

Neckring completed:
IMG_0391_zps4840d0b5.jpg

Gauntlet with blades:
IMG_0392_zps700dfd44.jpg

Me wearing blades:
IMG_0393_zpse28135ab.jpg

And here's my now updated to-do-list:

List:
Dreads
Dread beads
Mask
Torso
Legs
Bone Necklace
Neck-ring
Feet
Hands
Blade Gauntlet
Bomb Gauntlet
Blades
Bio

I'll try and update soon, stay tuned :)

-XilianX2010

XilianX2010

Blooded
Here's anew update! 

I'm back to working on he feet, with more clay to do it! I'm taking this slow, but hopefully can make progress. I have a lot of free time. I plan on buying a new airbrush, Iwata Eclipse. I saw one of Amazon, for $125. Seems like a bargain. :)

Pictures:
IMG_0404_zps8738b2aa.jpg

IMG_0405_zpsf69ffe5d.jpg

IMG_0406_zps1efc909f.jpg

IMG_0407_zpsae0afb25.jpg

I'll be working on it more during the week. I have all day, all summer. (Except on Saturdays and Sundays, and maybe a few Fridays, I try to get as many work days as possible to save for my project).

Stay tuned :)

-XilianX2010

XilianX2010

Blooded
Also, I might change the color on Hunters Moon's wooden beads. Since my predator is called the Nord Predator (due to the fact I live in a more northern area) I would change the brown beads to a grey, to fit more bark in a forest. I might do that as a side project, but will keep sculpting for now. :)

XilianX2010

Blooded
Did some more progress on the foot! I am actually really glad on how it's coming out:

IMG_0434_zps585914a9.jpg

IMG_0435_zpsa5123f0e.jpg

IMG_0436_zps5bbdcb8b.jpg

IMG_0437_zps34adca26.jpg

IMG_0438_zpsb2c7ee8d.jpg

IMG_0439_zps73a82f4d.jpg

IMG_0440_zps546898e6.jpg

IMG_0441_zps3251e99b.jpg

IMG_0442_zpsd8a8c0e6.jpg

I'll be working on it more tonight, I have a while before I have materials to mold it, so I can just keep adding to it.

-XilianX2010

XilianX2010

Blooded
ThePred2012 said:
Those feet are looking very good my friend, what kind of clay did you use?
It was homemade oil-based clay given to me by my art teacher's husband. He agreed to make 120 lbs for me for $50. I'm unsure how he did it, but you can make homemade oil-based clay. :)

XilianX2010

Blooded
Hey guys! I'm back with an update!

I started the hands, and finished sculpting the feet, and started to mold them! I won't have these done by Halloween, so I'll just go in my mask and small acc. 

I'll be sure to keep posting pics as much as I can. 

Well here are some pictures :)

IMG_0446_zps50f47f42.jpg

IMG_0447_zpsaa8556f6.jpg

IMG_0448_zps423ec3df.jpg

IMG_0449_zps8f7068b1.jpg

IMG_0848_zps147d1b30.jpg

IMG_0847_zps8334503b.jpg

IMG_0846_zps787a176f.jpg

IMG_0844_zps050b1b03.jpg

IMG_0826_zps29f25426.jpg

IMG_0827_zpsd926e964.jpg

IMG_0828_zpsa6ebef73.jpg

IMG_0829_zps6a6fd276.jpg

IMG_0837_zps0f3826c6.jpg

IMG_0838_zps1e1eb53a.jpg

IMG_0839_zps6e3256a3.jpg

IMG_0840_zpsce7814da.jpg

IMG_0841_zps600dd870.jpg

That's all for now! Question! Does anyone know how to smooth out Monster Maker clay? I know it's oil-based, but I'm unsure how to do it. Thanks for your support guys!

-XilianX2010

XilianX2010

Blooded
Hey guys! Another update!

Well I got a strong enough wall on my feet, some keyholes, and applied Vaseline to them. I did two detail coats, and tried quickly to cover the entire sculpt before it started to set up and thicken (I'm using plaster Paris, it doesn't take long). This isn't going to be a perfect mold, and I know that I might mess up slightly with the feet detail (due to that I've only done this twice). The feet aren't a problem to me if he detail is messed up slightly. I'd be more woried about the torso and body parts. 

Here are some pics: 
IMG_0851_zps062bd539.jpg

IMG_0852_zps9d9c58e8.jpg

IMG_0853_zps69c97767.jpg

IMG_0854_zps739fd049.jpg

IMG_0855_zps19b4a117.jpg

Feed back welcomed :) 

-XilianX2010

wonko

Hunter
I smooth my monster clay with a small rake I made from a .035 guitar string.  I've also used denatured alcohol with varying results.  I'm not big on using toxic chemicals so I try and stick with smoothing everything by hand.  Heat from a hair dryer works well too.  What are you trying to smooth, and how smooth does it have to be?

Brian

XilianX2010

Blooded
wonko said:
I smooth my monster clay with a small rake I made from a .035 guitar string.  I've also used denatured alcohol with varying results.  I'm not big on using toxic chemicals so I try and stick with smoothing everything by hand.  Heat from a hair dryer works well too.  What are you trying to smooth, and how smooth does it have to be?

Brian
well just enough to look smooth it out like a hand, before adding details to it. I'll have to warm it again to to smooth it. Thank you for the feedback :)