Degassing chamber built and tested.

predatoj

Blooded
Does anyone have experience degassing liquid latex before pouring in to a mold? I've seen it done with silicone but I want to try it with latex. Also should I degass the latex in a crock pot then pour or should I degass in the mold? I thought I could build a vacuum chamber around the mold but it would make it huge. I want to try and get a cast that doesn't have any bubbles I'm not happy with my pulls as they have hundreds of pin holes, like champagne bubbles.

Jimbob24

Blooded
i have seen this before on really thick latex molds, latex mixed with pigments as well it could be from anything really shaking before use will cause it to happen, forcing a mold to dry fast with heat and so on.

predatoj

Blooded
So I built a vacuum chamber. For those who know how hard it is to not get bubbles in a latex cast I'll see if it helps. Here is a test pot of latex as it 'boils'. Not sure if it will get rid of them all but the system seems to work perfectly, holds a perfect vacuum. Cost me £70 to build.

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

Last edited:

predatoj

Blooded
So after casting, the damn thing appears to work! I scrapped my last cast as it was full of champagne bubbles. Made a new cast not a single bubble. Recommend one of these. I'll be updating my P1 thread with a first paint job over the Christmas period. Only took a year!