Do you need good soft foam dreads (heres how)

• Thread starter The Mortal Immortal
  • Start date
T

The Mortal Immortal

Buy some Crayola Model Magic at Walmart or local craft store.
This stuff is nice (soft foam clay) roll a taper by using a piece of cardboard. Rolling lighter on one end then the other. Dries like a foam rubber.(also can be used for quills) Come in many colors.

2006_0116_225939AA.jpg

Just when you think you have it all!!!!​

profile.jpg

B

blk n blu dream

Wow, good tip! I've seen that stuff all the time when looking for sculpting clay.

Thanks!

A

acerhater

How durable is that stuff? Will it hold up like the backer rod?

T

The Mortal Immortal

It strong and looks better then that notapered backer rod.

profile.jpg

P

pirkleations

WOW! Great idea!!

I think Crayola is gonna get some business from us costumers here!!

Wait....how does paint take to it?

DangerDavey

T

The Mortal Immortal

Paint takes great on these. I used it to make some skull heads. This size comes with 4 packs of foam clay. Really easy to use and low mess.

J

JAILER1955

I've used the stuff to blend my mandibles to the jaws and created a eyebrow healing wound on a latex head. It took that paint with no problem. In that respect it orks great. I will have to try the dreads also. What about dip-it spray for color and coating??

Thanks much,
George

P

pirkleations

Deb and I just bought two 2lb buckets of the Mold Magic from Ebay today. When it gets here, we'll be doing some experimenting as well.

DangerDavey

P

pirkleations

Not sure how many dreds you can get out of a bucket...yet.

There are four 8 oz packets of clay per bucket. I'm thinking you could probably get 16 two-foot dreds out of it. If the feel of the material is soft enough, it would be well worth trading in the backer rod.

I'm thinking that the stuff would be good for other soft props, too.

DangerDavey

J

JAILER1955

What kind of soft props are you thinking of?

I guess I'll give the dreads a shot also. But, like I mentioned, you can use it on the mask like a makeup appliance. The scar I mentioned was easy. I rolled out a cylinder about the diameter of a thick pencil and piched it off at the desired lenght. I applied it to the brow and smoothed it out to blend it into the brow and forhead with wet fingers. When I was satisfied with the blend, I used my pocket knife and 'cut' the wound. I opened the 'wound' and useing a sharpened pencil to peel the material up and away from the mask. I again smoothed soom areas of the 'wound' with wet fingers. Then I let it dry overnight. The next day it was dry and flexible. The blended edges were still smooth and looked good. Because there was a difference in color between the materal and the raw latex, it was hard in some respects to judge the quality of the finished scar. Yep, paint. I did a base coat and let it dry and gave the inside of the wound a neon green fabric paint for healing flesh. I will dig up the pictures and let you judge.

George

M

Maverick118

Indeed as a lady friend of mine might be able to get me this stuff at a nice saving as she works teaching art to kids. I wonder if we could dip these in tinted latex to give it just that little bit of extra durability. Anyone knows with a costume like the pred you'll always get one nutter who wants to give a dred a good tug.

G

gk asylum

I made the dreds and rings on this guy with
that stuff a few years ago.
They are pretty fragile and break easily.
Very stiff when they dry.
The upside is it's very light.
I made the quills with it also and they break off
all the time.
I don't recommend that stuff.
Just my 2cents.
Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Maverick118

Thanks for the input Larry, cleared a few points that has. I'f they're stiff (ooer) I'll not be bothering with them as they won't have the same flow when they move. But if just for display I think they might make a cheap alternative.

P

pirkleations

It would still come in handy for lightweight props as a quick medium.

DangerDavey

M

Maverick118

No doubt about it Dave, though you might want to check out paper clay too. I'm using it as a filler in some of my fun foam pieces that I'll be experimenting in casting, as it has good adherence to the foam and simply smooths with water.

T

The Mortal Immortal

Coat with latex when finished.

profile.jpg

A

acerhater

I bought a 4 oz package of this stuff to try it out and see how it would work. Out of the 4 ounce package I was able to make 2 dreds that were approximately 2 feet long each and 1 inch wide at the top tapering down to a point. A single 4 ounce package cost $4 at Jo-Ann fabrics & crafts. They had the 2 lb bucket for $15 so it is of course more cost effective to get the larger bucket which should make 16 dreds each. At that rate you would need approximately 3 ½ buckets to do a mask if they were all 2 foot long. If you made the lower rows a bit shorter you could conceivable get away with 3 buckets which would cost you $45. I am waiting for these 2 dreds to dry (it takes around 24 hours depending on the size of the piece according to the directions) so that I can stress test them. The directions do say that dried pieces can be decorated with acrylics. The 4 ounce package I got was black so I am going to paint only one piece to compare which looks better. I only saw the 2 pound bucket in white and one that came with an 8 ounce package of each red, green, blue, and yellow so I don’t know if they have the black in the bucket

I had seen this stuff before but I was a bit leery of trying it as it is in a block in the package and I didn’t think it would be flexible enough but was pleasantly surprised on how flexible it was when rolled out. It also has the added benefit of not having the curve in it that backer rod has when you cut a length off of it. One concern I have is if it will develop a flat spot on the side that is sitting on the table while it dries. If it does I guess I could find a way to hang it from the end to stop this from happening. I am at work right now doing this so I don’t have a camera to take a picture with but I will bring this home with me tonight and take some pictures and post them then (isn’t it great to be the boss, I get to play with stuff and no one can say “get back to work” [if they do I don’t have to listen…lol]). This stuff looks real promising at the moment but I will have to wait until these 2 dry and I can stress test them until I make up my mind.