Dreads... Something A Little Different

TokyoRose

Blooded
Hey guys, I'm starting a rush suit build and wanted to share a little something I came across.

I plan on making my own professional quality dreads down the line, but for the time being I needed something quick and cheap. I'm not a huge fan of backer rods, they do the trick and I've seen some people do great things with them, I'm just not fond of their lack of movement. So while perusing the dollar store, looking for bits and pieces I could use for my suit build, I found these silly little things;
img2341g.jpg

They are wooden snakes that I hadn't seen since I was in Mexico when I was like 8 or so.

Now bear with me!
Their ass end has pretty close to the correct shape, they're designed to flop and move around in a natural/organic-ish way, and they're incredibly light. So I thought to myself... could these possibly work in a pinch?

I bought 2 @ $2.00 each, brought them home and painted one with black spray paint and one with black plasti-dip. I was worried that there was a chance the paint/plasti-dip could potentially cause the little joints to stick together and limit the movement but I didn't at all. It actually covered really well with one coat and some little touch ups in between the joints to cover the light color of the wood. There wasn't enough of a difference in final result between the plasti-dip and the paint to justify the difference in cost, so I went back and bought 12 more, just to see how they would looked in a bunch and painted them all up.
img2342wu.jpg

img2376m.jpg

Now obviously they have some issues. Like being able to see the joints but at a distance, and even up close really, they don't look too bad. They'd actually look really good painted silver and used as Robo-Predator or Predinator dreads.They can only really flop 2 directions, they don't have a 360' range of motion but if placed properly, I think they'll work just fine. They're wood and will probably make some noise when they clank together but they're soft wood and it's really nothing to write home about. The last thing is that they will add up weight wise and price wise- say you need 40 dreads, that's $80 plus tax and paint. But I figure I will just do my top row in these (14 or so) to sell some movement and then maybe add some backer rods or something underneath if it's looking sparse, to fill in the rest of the head a bit.

Here is a super quick video showing the movement. (sorry, it's sideways)

I haven't seen dreads done this way before, though it's very possible they have been. I don't have a finished mask to stick them onto just yet, but let me know what you think and I'd love to see pics/videos if anyone else gives it a shot.

I'll add updates when I can.

Brandon.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

chickenjug

Young Blood
Predinator? Yes, please!

I love the snake dreads idea. I just spent all stinking day plasti-dipping backer rods - it really was a chore.

Are they noisy? I am wondering if they clack against each other when you walk.

TokyoRose

Blooded
Are they noisy? I am wondering if they clack against each other when you walk.
They definitely clank together a bit. I think with the latex body suit and some backer rods underneath, it will dampen the clanking. It's not too loud but does make some noise.

lflank

Hunter
I'm not a huge fan of backer rods, they do the trick and I've seen some people do great things with them, I'm just not fond of their lack of movement.
As an aside, I think the lack of motion that most people have with backer rod dreads is because of their beads, not the backer rod. My experience is that the heavier the beads are, and the further towards the tips you have them, the more they swing around and the better they look.

chickenjug

Young Blood
As an aside, I think the lack of motion that most people have with backer rod dreads is because of their beads, not the backer rod. My experience is that the heavier the beads are, and the further towards the tips you have them, the more they swing around and the better they look.
I stuffed small lead fishing weights between the beads and the backer rod dreads. The extra weight really minimizes the poofy-ness and adds substance and swing.

TuaCathach

Hunter
love the idea for the dreads.. completely outside of the box..

Question is.. how to do you plan on attaching them to the head?

TokyoRose

Blooded
I'm actually a bit surprised by the warm reaction, I half expect to be laughed off the board with this one.

A bit more info and a few answers:

I bought these from Dollorama in Canada. I'm not sure if it is an international company or not, but I know they are readily available at every dollorama I've been to.

From Head to tip of the tail, they're about 38.5 inches long

At full length they weigh roughly 146 grams or 0.3 pounds each. I plan to take off about 10 inches from each of them- 1/4 of the length means 1/4 off of the weight.

Right now I dont have a mask to attach them to, but I was toying with the idea of using the inner strapping from a hard hat on the inside of my mask for support. I'd epoxy the front strap directly to the mask and then possibly attach the snakes to that using either wire or elastic bands, then run them through the dread holes and put some latex or epoxy around them at that point. Then foam fill the head. That's the rough idea. I'm open to other suggestions though.

PredatrHuntr

Veteran Hunter
Cool idea. I can see it working too. Plus the way they flex would be very different and one that no one has tried before...

MothMonty

Hunter
I agree that this is a very innovative idea, my initial concern was in regards to the weight. Just a quick semi off topic question. Where are you buying your plasti dip in alberta (I live in Edmonton) and I can't find it anywhere.

TokyoRose

Blooded
I agree that this is a very innovative idea, my initial concern was in regards to the weight. Just a quick semi off topic question. Where are you buying your plasti dip in alberta (I live in Edmonton) and I can't find it anywhere.
Hey man, It was super tough to track down. A few years ago I found the dip-able version in Red Deer at Home Hardware. The only place I know of that stocks it regularly is on Calgary and it's called Industrial Paint and Plastic. They stock the spray-able and dip-able versions but the black seems to fly off the shelves so you have to stock up when it's there. It's about $13- $15 a can.

eaglewood

Hunter
This is what I love to see here on the Lair-- try Ideas that have never been done-- Awesome job!!! Cant wait to see them on a headpiece.