Dred Rings? please help!!

D

darkenism

ok so i got the backer rod to redo my dreds.... it seems kinda stiff so im guessing the dred rings will weight it down some, and make it look more natural..

SOOOOOOooooo... how do i make some dred rings? can i use pvc pipe cut into short lengths/painted and slid over the dred? is there something better? please give me some advice folks!

J.W.

P

pirkleations

I'd say start with the pvc pipe rings and then you sculpt onto those whatever texture you'd like them to have. Use some two-part epoxy putty like Magic Sculpt. You don't have to stick it in the oven to cure it. Plus, you can carve it with a dremel after it hardens.

DangerDavey

D

darkenism

well i went to home depot and the PVC seems too thick... so i got some of the plastic flex-tubing instead....its the kind that you use to protect speaker/amp wires in your car.... it grips onto the dred so im hoping the taper wont affect it.....

tapering is the next thing thats bothering me..... this foam backer rod seems too light...the preds dreds in P1 seemed heavy...but they did float.....i may have to push some fishing weight lead into my foam to make it hang right...

S

SeaHunterr

the rings will made the backer rod hang much better once you get them all on. Try copper fittings in the plumbing department, they will work nice.

Y

yautjafanboy

if you want to avoid too much weight, try two elastic bands spaced how you want them and a few layers of latex painted on, and paint them up.

I

inkdoctor

i'd just buy some cast foam dreads and some nice resin beads. a guy named joe that goes by the name bambooie makes a awsome dread and bead set. they swing very natural from the weight of the beads. and they come in a set of 40 dreads with 70 beads of your choice. either predator 1 or AVP style. i have 2 sets so far and completely happy with them. i have bought extra dreads from him to because i wanted more than 40 dreads on my mask.

F

fantazar

Sculpt some rings in different sizes for your dreads and make a silicone mould.
Once your mould is made, you can make as many rings as you want using epoxy resin 1:1

D

darkenism

how would i cast it? since it has a hole in the middle? do i cast two separate halves?

T

The Mortal Immortal

You place them on a piece of pvc pipe or glue or clay them together. Then make a mold of them all together to save time in casting.

D

darkenism

so you actually cast them on the pvc pipe? wouldnt they stick to it?

R

recoil1701

O yes the dread rings. I found it to be much more rewarding to make them myself , I use different gages of pvc cut them to size and then sculp them with a dremmel tool to get the desired effect. You can put patterns or primitive drawings, even tribal symbols. Then spray paint using metallic paints
such as silver,gold and copper. You can get the paints at home depot. Hope this helps!! P.S. They add nice weight to the dreads specially those foam ones.

Jesus
photos027.jpg
photos028.jpg
photos029.jpg
photos030.jpg