ducttape dummy, part 2

S

Shataan

I had just completed foaming my dummy yesterday. I used Great Stuff Large Gap filler. Anyways, this morning it looked fine and seemed cured enough, I thought i would bring it upstairs to a warmer place to cure.

Bad move. I did get it upstairs, but couldn`t think of a place to put it. So, back downstairs I go, to put it back where I had it. To keep the arm positions etc, I had tape everywhere.

Mistake number 1: do NOT move the dummy for at least a week after finishing the foam.

mistake 2: I am not sure Great Stuff Large Gap Filler was the best choice of foam to use.

mistake 3: I did the lower torso, waited till the top of the lower torso seemed dry to the touch, then did the upper torso. All in 1 day. Stupid move. I think I should have done just the legs one Day 1. Day 2, the lower torso to the waist, Day 3 and so on.

What happened was after I moved the dummy this morning, it seemed fine at 1st, then started to seemingly collapse in upon the weight of the upper torso.

To me, it is either, I used the wrong spray foam. Or I did not let it cure enough in smaller stages of use.

So it is off to the drawing board. Too bad. It looked great till it stated to collapse. This time around I will do it in sections, and let itcure/dry BEFORE attempting the next foam stage. Really not looking forward to getting scizzor cut out of another tape job, but wtf. ;p Lesson learned.

R

Ruffkintoy

Here's what i know of Great stuff foam,small amount at a time or else the foam takes forever to cure. water helps speed up the curing process. I mist the foam a few times while its expanding. And the foam keeps expanding for awhile after you think it done. o if you put it in a warm area it may expand more and burst the tape.
The best foam for this would be a 2 part expanding rigid foam. You can get it from Smooth-on.com and many other places. Hope this helps.

S

Shataan

Thx. I got another type of Great Stuff, it is more dense than the 1st Stuff I used. I saw the 2 part foam, but it was way more expensive. I am gonna try this 1 can, but let it cure before continuing on. Do 1 leg at a time in 2 parts. The tough thing is that once a can is started, ya gotta use it. Or so I have been told. Prolly cause the applicator nozzle plug after a bit of non use.

If this 1 can does not do the trick, I can still switch over to the 2 part foam. That 2 part foam, it doesn`t cure instantly does it? It is dam tricky to have the ducttape dummy hanging and ya gotta be a bit of a contortionist to get that applicator to the right areas. lol Thx again.

R

Ruffkintoy

oh I thought you were using the rigid stuff. I still recommend misting it to cure it faster.
You don't have to use the whole can in one shot. just use what you want and then set the can aside. the foam will cure at the end of the tip and a few inches down but not all the way. Then when you want to use it again cut the tip back to expose the uncured foam and reuse. I think you have about 2 weeks to leave the can like that and it still be good. I have done this before and it does work.

S

Shataan

Thx. Yes. The Great Stuff Revy gave me at 1st dries a whiter color, and it stayed soft. I wanted the rigid Great Stuff. The demo foam I saw was more of an orangey brown in color, and dense as hell. Hopefully that is what I got in this can. This can is red. The Great Stuff I was using was in a black can.

Ok I will mist it if I can here and there. Just a quick spray mist. Hope this works this time.

M

Maverick118

yep moisten the area your going to use the expanding foam in. The do it in layers starting from the bottom up and let it be for a while to expand fully. Spray it now and again then repeat until you've filled the dummy. It will take a few days to do completely, as I used to leave about 8 hours between layers. I'd spray the foam in, go to work and then come back from work and do another layer. The other thing I did was make a core skeleton from PVC piping, with a pipe join poking out the spine of it, so I could mount the dummy when finished upon a base

S

Shataan

I just took a look at the red can foam. And it looks identical to the black cans foam. But it seems to look a bit denser. More foam, less air. I am not making another ducktape dummy till tonight, so by that time this foam should dry so I can do a feel comparison to see if it is actually denser/harder.

S

Savage Yautja

Here's what I would suggest:
Build a pvc frame with 2" pvc pipe running up to the shoulders and connected with (2) T's with a section running between the "T's" . Add a third t between the other two for the head to be mounted on. Next add a short section on the outside ends of the T to connect the 45 degree elbows. After that attach a length for the arms. This way when you put the suit on the dummy you can easily get under the arms for finishing it wiith latex and/or paint. Also allows you to add a styrofoam head on the center T for display or to use this as a mounting point for a support. optionally you could extend the pvc legs through the bottom of the ankles to mount to a pvc sled base to free stand.just duct tape around the base of the ankles either extended or flush mounted.
here are some pics to help. I outlined the suit with the dashes.
PVC Frame
[url="http://

Base
[url="http://
Tape up you duct tape dummy with a pvc frame installed inside it to act as a frame. Use a can on both of the lower legs sections to use it up in "one shot". Either tape an area that you expect to fill so you can reach the areas inside or make holes in the tape to inject the foam intothe dummy as you go. After you inject the foam tape over the hole and let dry.Knees on down to the ankles. Thigh to knee. Chest cavity. Shoulders. Upper arms. lower arms.

A

alphatech686

Here are a couple of pics of a duct tape dummy I did. Well atleast the lower half. I used a two part rigid foam from monster makers. Works great. The stuff is hard and cures completely in a few hours. Certainly to the touch in about 20 minutes.
tripod001.jpg

dummylower003.jpg

dummylower015.jpg

dummylower021.jpg

S

Shataan

That is coolness. Thx for posting.

addendum:

Ok, I designed my inner sleleton structure based upon the screens above. But i used 3/4" PVC. I did a full ducttape dummy all in one. And so far my foam is up to the hips almost. I again used Great Stuff. And it is actually rigid this time. My problem before was in not seeing the importance of using the spray mist to help the cure as someone here suggested. And, if I remember correctly now, that actually might be in the instructions too. Doh? Doh!

So basicly, as suggested, I mist the inner walls of the dummy, and the horizontal surface the foam is being applied to. And THEN on top of the foam that was just sprayed. I use hot water to mist too. Not sure if this is a + factor as apposed to cold water. But that Great Stuff sure is expanding nice now, and solid. I will post a screen when I have completed this dummy.

B

BurntKona

Excellent stuff, and again thanks to the tips savage and alpha. Hope the dummy turns out well, Shataan.

Fingers crossed for mine, as soon as I can get the car out to the DIY store for supplies.

S

Shataan

Well here it is finally.

xs.to/xs.php?h=xs68&d=060...uctdum.jpg

I am letting it cure for a few days. As well, I noticed there are some bulges here and there from the foam expanding like a mutha. Some on the legs. Mostly the back of shoulders and chest area and mid section. I will open up these sections in a few days and trim it down so it resembles my shape in those areas better. Then retape.

But on the whole I am pretty happy with the results. Thx all for the tips. Much appreciated. I can start on the skin/muscles soon.

I

inkdoctor

looks great i have to take another crack at making one myself. one question why is it multi colored in 1 pic then red in the next then in the final shot its all grey? did you paint it red then put more tape over it again.

S

Shataan

The awesomely done lower torso "dummy" was done by alphatech686. The all grey full body dummy in my post above is mine. As well, this morning I trimmed my dummy down in the areas the foam expanded too much. It is alot more like my body shape now. Off to the next task soon.

A

alphatech686

The multi colors where because I wanted to keep track of how many layers of tape I used. I had a couple of colors and alternated them. I used 5 layers and as you can see it held my shape pretty close. I did not take the tape off. I just sprayed it with primer. I found out from talking to a few people and then trying it myself that clay does not want to stick to duct tape.

S

Shataan

I guess when it comes to making this shiz, my luck blows monkies. Believe it or not, my dummy is now slowly starting to shrink in upon itself. So it looks like it is back to the old drawing board for me. I spent anywhere from 150 to 200 bux for the Great Stuff foam, and it failed both times.

So much for trying to save money eh?

addendum: Gunns suggested I use a Frothpak. Gonna take 1 more kick at this.... and try it.

N

NightSlayer666

this information has imspired to to attempt a duct tape dummy, think ill start small however and just do my arm first. Let us know about the froth pak

S

Shataan

Being that it is 2 part, I am sure it will work. A different type of curing thing going on. Whereas the Great stuff takes about 8 hours, the FrothPak is apprently a tad over a minute to set. On Tuesday I will be buying the 1st Pak to try. But I still gotta make my 3rd ductdummy yet and the skeletal inner stuff again. Will keep yas posted.