Face animitronics?

L

lawman18963

Hey all,
Newbie here. Mostly do Star Wars Props and such. Spend a lot of time on the Dewback Wing. Just got my first latex mask and shoulder cannon.
I've searched around the board and can't find any reference on making the mask mandelbles move.
I don't want to spend thousands of dollars and was wondering if there were any tutorials and what some of you have done to achieve the jaws opening and closing.

thanks in advance

www.lawman18963@hotmail.com

L

lawman18963

Thanks for the welcome master hobbs.
I thought of the wire or piping. That would just make it so I could position them in one place, open or closed correct?
I was hoping to make it so I could open and close them remotely. Like cable or servo or......?
Anyone got a tutorial for that kind of thing? I make lots of sci-fi props. Star wars, star trek, replica guns from halo etc. I would pay or be willing to trade if someone could fab me something, or a tutorial would be awesome.
Thanks in advance. This is a great board with lots of cool people and info.

lawman

T

The Mortal Immortal

There are two members that make remote controlled mandiables. People like to keep some thing to them selfs. This keeps the market open so they can make money on there hard work. So good luck on finding a tutorial.

A

alphatech686

Hey dude I've done a couple of masks with mechanical mandibles. The first was done with servos. You will have to make a hinged arm for all four mandibles and run cables to them. Then you will need some stout servos meaning those little futaby kits or what ever they are called don't have servos strong enough to move latex atleast not very far. The other way is a little more simple. You do the same arms with cables but in the mask you can use a cordless drill set up. cut the battery off and use a 9volt. Make an arm that has a 90 degree bend in it and put it in the socket for the screw driver head. This all has to be mounted to a fiberglass under skull. hook all 4 cables to that arm. By the way you need the cables with a sleeve over them. You can get them a hobby store that has model airplanes. The sleeve has to be attached to the under skull in several places including near each end. Use a toggle in your glove and you will be able to move all four madibles at once. open or close. This set up is nice because you control it. With radio someone else has to run the mandibles. The nice thing about radio control is you would have 4 servos so you could get more variety in you movement.

L

lawman18963

alphatech686 you rock!
Mortal, you are so correct. Not many people would give out trade secrets for free.
Thanks again all.

lawman

J

JediUsurper

any easy way of movement via just moving your own jaw?

i dont mean full range of movement, maybe even just the lower mandibles.

M

Master Cetanu

Thanks man. I saw the ones which were on e-bay, but bidding was done by the time I found them. They looked brilliant in the videos! Really amazing.

A

alphatech686

Here are a couple pics of the hard wired one. The radio head is on a manikin hanging from the ceiling in my art room. One of these days I'll take it down and shoot some photos of the insides
alphatech2.jpg

alphatech1.jpg

T

The Mortal Immortal

Now thats some nice looking work. Thanks for sharing.

C

CyberPred

Servos are the beast. Go to the toy store or flea market,garage sale etc. You can usually find the reciever with them and a transmitter which you can modify to be controlled by your hands.

I have made many complicated mechanisms but for the money and ease this is the best way.

Cary

A

alphatech686

I have to disagree with the servo thing. Unless you buy extra powerful servos they just won't move the latex very far.

M

monsterroom

ITS a secret dont tell
a 2 channel radio I like Futaba it must be ground frequency
4 high-torque servos
1 very good battery
the servos bolt to a fiber glass under mask
new servo armes are made to hold the teeth and yes you can make the teeth rock in and out when the mandebel opens and close
movable eye-brow no another day
and you can make all of this work by moving your jaw
Webinsideheads04.jpg

mouth closed
Webinsideheads03.jpg

mouth open
Webcrunchedface01.jpg

latex skin it must be a latex with very low clay filler or it will be to stiff. this skin must be supported with foam just cut the foam away from the servos and arms

Webinsideheads05.jpg

Webinsideheads01.jpg

more to come on the jaw movement

A

asy0uw1sh

Welcome to the board. I am fortunate enough to own one of the most advanced animatronic rigs conceived for a pred mask, it has a hinged jaw, 9 servos (8 independent and 1 shared) and controls everything from brow lifts/drops to independant fang and mandibular movement. Heck, there is even a servo to control the area between it's eyes, I guess you could call this area the snout. It's a Mander and I picked it up from him partially finished. It needed some soldering/wiring/batteries and servo control modules as well as an r/c transmitter. I think he created this rig to go underneath his AVP mask, but it fits well under his P1. I have thought about creating a silicone mask due to the flexibility it would offer. If it would help I will upload more detailed shots of the rig. Prior to purchasing this, I experimented with bicycle brake calipers and cables to open and close the fangs and mandibles, this was controled by cables that ran down one arm and ultimately would have been controlled by rings on a few fingers, attached to the ends of each brake cable. I posted shots of it awhile back and now I can't find the shots, perhaps another lair member saved them and could post them.

-Alan

new3a.jpg

10c1.jpg

asa.jpg

T

The Mortal Immortal

Now thats some nice looking work. I will have to take back my previce post.

A

asy0uw1sh

Nah, his work is great too! One of the things I cherish about the lair is the ingenuity of it's members. Well that, and the plethora of ideas and inspiration I get here.

-Alan

L

lawman18963

Abosolutly amazing! You are some of the most talented people I've ever seen! Some of you should be working for ILM or something.
Thanks for posting so much info about my request. I will check this board daily for any further info. I however lack the skills and knowledge you have. It will be quite and effort on my part to even come close to your results.
Hats of to you all

lawman

S

Supreme Hunter

Hey ASY0UW1SH do u think u can make a vidoe with a mask on and show the full movement of it. It would be really cool.

Chris