Favorite/least Favorite Clay?

XilianX2010

Blooded
Hey guys! Long time no see! I'm kicking into high gear and getting back to my Predator costume, but I wanted to ask you guys a question, what are some of your favorite/least favorite clay mediums and brands you have used? Ones that you guys love and use all the time, and maybe some you've tried and it didn't quite satisfied? Water based or Oil based?

I'm asking because I want to give different clay mediums a try, and see the ones you guys recommend and ones to look out for. Any maybe the different clay mediums you use for different projects like masks, bios, or mold walls. 

Thanks guys!

-Abby

ZombiXenoHunter

Young Blood
I'm pretty new to sculpture myself, I first got to try my hand at it in high school and loved it, but hadn't touched it until a couple months ago
(10 years). Right off the hop when I decided I was going to get back into it I bought 20lbs of Chavant NSP medium, sulphur free oil based clay. I had checked out a few forums on the web and this was recommended to me because it can be used for large or small projects and because it is sulphur free it releases easily from molding materials like silicone. looking back on it knowing what I know about the clay now and its consistency if I was to buy more I would probably go with the same brand of clay, but firmer. The firmer clay holds detail better, and if you find it's too hard to work with all you have to do is heat it up.

XilianX2010

Blooded
I hear Chavant is very popular. I bought Monster Maker clay awhile back because I heard it was similar. I feel unsatisfied with a lot of the oil based clay mediums I've used than the the water based because oil based always seems to be too hard. I could never work with it during the winter, because the it would always stay cold. 

Is clay easier to work with and apply detail when it's softer?

ZombiXenoHunter

Young Blood
Yes, it is much easier to work with when it is softer and very easy to make details, but it also has its advantages when its at room temperature, when oil based clays are cold it is very easy to make and keep very sharp details such as edges. The problem with any water based clays is that they can dry out, shrink and crack. They must be kept damp and wrapped up. Oil-based clays are much better medium for me personally because I tend to put my work down and work on something else for quite a bit. You do not have to worry about oil-based clay drying out so you can put them down for a long time and pick them back up exactly as you left them. If you are finding the oil-based clays to be too hard to work with, buy yourself or make yourself a clay warming box, the Chavant medium clay that I work with is extremely pliable when its warmed up.

wonko

Hunter
I use Monster Makers and will never use anything else again.  Granted, it's about as hard as it gets, but there is no other clay that holds details better.  The other thing I love about it is that it softens up in the microwave in like 10 seconds, and you can heat it with a hair dryer to aid in moving large areas around.  Another advantage is the fact that you don't have to seal it with anything before molding.  It costs quite a bit more everything else, but in my opinion it's worth every penny.  

Brian

XilianX2010

Blooded
ZombiXenoHunter said:
Yes, it is much easier to work with when it is softer and very easy to make details, but it also has its advantages when its at room temperature, when oil based clays are cold it is very easy to make and keep very sharp details such as edges. The problem with any water based clays is that they can dry out, shrink and crack. They must be kept damp and wrapped up. Oil-based clays are much better medium for me personally because I tend to put my work down and work on something else for quite a bit. You do not have to worry about oil-based clay drying out so you can put them down for a long time and pick them back up exactly as you left them. If you are finding the oil-based clays to be too hard to work with, buy yourself or make yourself a clay warming box, the Chavant medium clay that I work with is extremely pliable when its warmed up.
Thanks for the tip! I'm a bit tight with money at the moment, is there homemade or DIY way to keep the clay warm instead of a clay warming box?

XilianX2010

Blooded
wonko said:
I use Monster Makers and will never use anything else again.  Granted, it's about as hard as it gets, but there is no other clay that holds details better.  The other thing I love about it is that it softens up in the microwave in like 10 seconds, and you can heat it with a hair dryer to aid in moving large areas around.  Another advantage is the fact that you don't have to seal it with anything before molding.  It costs quite a bit more everything else, but in my opinion it's worth every penny.  

Brian
I love using it so far, and I'm sculpting the hands for suit with it, and it works very well when warm. It just seems to harden up fast even after being in the microwave. I'll have to try the hair dryer the keep it warm. No seal before molding? I did not know that! Thanks for telling me that, I might have sprayed kyrlon on it when I didn't need to!

ZombiXenoHunter

Young Blood
for the clay warming box all you need is cardboard box, tin foil, and a $10 lamp from Home Depot. I haven't figured out how to put links on my comments but if you go on YouTube and search homemade clay warming box it will show you exactly how to make it and it costs less than 20 bucks. me personally, I haven't had to make one for myself as of yet, but all I do to warm up my clay is put it in a ziplock bag and put it in the sink full of boiled water for 10 minutes. Works like a charm.

XilianX2010

Blooded
ZombiXenoHunter said:
for the clay warming box all you need is cardboard box, tin foil, and a $10 lamp from Home Depot. I haven't figured out how to put links on my comments but if you go on YouTube and search homemade clay warming box it will show you exactly how to make it and it costs less than 20 bucks. me personally, I haven't had to make one for myself as of yet, but all I do to warm up my clay is put it in a ziplock bag and put it in the sink full of boiled water for 10 minutes. Works like a charm.
Thanks for the help :)

xdmray

Elite Hunter
i use a crock pot.  it melts monster clay to liquid very fast, so just keep an eye on it.  i use a crock pot for chavant NSP as well.  it will melt the chavant as well, but it takes longer.  if you need to cool down the clay fast, l use a keyboard duster aerosol can upside down.