Feet lift,simple and cheap,painted/FINISHED 28/9/06

J

JediUsurper

im contemplating putting some sorta of lifts in my feet,although i know that height doesnt make a good pred the build/paint quality does, height helps

i have at present tried using a thick piece of polystyrene which after it comresses gives me roughly 1.5 inches extra, its nice and light but feels alittle wobbly.

does anyone have ideas/or plan for adding maybe 2 inches in height without it being overly heavy or losing stability?

oh and it would have to be installed into premade feet.

chrz.

S

stampedemag

I have a pair of boots that have a total of a 4-5" lift. Most of it is internal and hidden. The outside looks to have a 2" lift.

This could be modded to make it work for Pred. The secret is the most of the lift is like a high heel shoe type of lift. There are ways of doing this. I am sure that we as a group could come up with something.

One thing I noticed that when a pred is not tall it makes the suit look out of proportion. The head looks big and the body small. On a 7' guy it is right but not on someone that is 5'6".

That is not to say that a guy like me that is 5-10 can't be a pred but the height does help alot.

S

sinister70

I've used a pair of cheap platform sandals, the kind used by short asian people who are paranoid of their hieght (I live in Korea ) to the outside of these I've wrapped foamies around to make them the right size for my feet and just left about one inch showing which has been built out even more to give the appearance of a sandal sole these things add 5 inches to my hieght and are light and very stable. I hope this helps

Cheers

S

Supreme Hunter

I believe alphatec has made a pair of very unique stilts, im not too sure if hes done witht hem or not though. im sure if u search here in the trophy room u will find what im talking bout.

-Chris

J

JediUsurper

Thanks all,

My main concren is stability, i mean i dont wanna look like im MINCING around
or look like ive **** myself hehe.

i may need to move quick incase a pesky alien sneaks up on me

i think ill keep searchin on the footwear side of things.

chrz all.

S

stampedemag

I am planning on a HULK costume for DC so I might look at those platform sandals... my feet will be in side of the feet of the suit so no one will see anyways... Hulk shouldn't be 5-10!

S

sinister70

That's true Hulk standing a 5' 10" is just wrong And the good thing about those sandals I mentioned is A: they are very light. B they are very cheap, about 10 bucks. and C: they are a piece of cake to build out the soles with foamies and alter the strap so they fit snugly on your feet. After finding these I'll stop trying to stack rubber flip flops to build up my hieght.
Oh and one more thing, and one worth noting. These things are made for women so you will need to alter them. I did even for my dainty feet..LOL

J

JediUsurper

Ive orderd some

Polyethylene closed cell foam.

light as a feather and low compression, ill let you know how it goes.

S

sinister70

Yep those sound like the ones. Glad I could help out.

Cheers

J

JediUsurper

I didnt end up going for sandles hehe (thanks anyway)

i got 2 sheets of this stuff from ebay for a couple of quid.

i can cut it to exact shape then ill have some left over for some other part of the pred i figure

J

JediUsurper

OK, nice surprise today.
My foam didnt arrive but ..........another product i forgot i had orderd did.

EXTRUDED STYROFOAM CLOSED-CELL FOAM. 2" thick.
EXTRUDEDSTYROFOAMCLOSED-CELL.jpg

again very light/warm, no visible compression, because of no compression its very stable to stand on.
so this is what i did.

Mark the feet out.
markfeet.jpg

Cut out the shape and account for toes
cutout.jpg

Slice up the bottom of the feet and insert foam.
insert.jpg

Then job done i will super glue with slit back together and pour some latex into the feet to keep it nice and secure ( although its not needed really as i got the shape spot on.
done.jpg

I am going to try and get hold of a old rubber mat to glue to the bottom which again will give me more height,protect the cut and give a longer lasting sole.
Which leads me to this, i couldnt resist so i popped on my feet and pred head then meassured.
actually thats a lie, my mrs went and got a chair......then meassured hehe.
the height a fraction over 79" which is 6ft7
with the soles added and extra layer of latex inside im hoping to be 6ft8-6ft9
which ill be very happy with.

T

The Big Gunns

One thing I noticed that when a pred is not tall it makes the suit look out of proportion. The head looks big and the body small. On a 7' guy it is right but not on someone that is 5'6".

We call that a bobble head pred

K

kithunter

excellent idea JU, thanks for sharing the "how to"

one question, How is to walk in them? which is a challenge.

AM

J

JediUsurper

Kit,

They are comfy and also surprisingly stable, as soon as i get some sole rubber sorted ill have a sprint down the road ( at night of course )
but walking around the house i felt no wobbles at all.

M

Maverick118

If you want to add a bit more height and add a little more stability you could always add another wedge at the heel with an indent in it for the heel to sit in.

footlifts.jpg

Just a little doodle as I've have been working on the idea for a while of something similar.

I know the idea is sound as a friend has done similar to this for a realistic bear costume. Though she used a wooden block for the heel with a moulded insert to cover it so it was comfortable and stable as it was used durning a stage show. Then if there's room inside you can put a training shoe and secure that so it doesn't slip about. You may be able to add a couple of extra inches. Just an idea.

J

JediUsurper

hmm i may try the heel idea mav chrz

itll be a trade of between height and stability, no good being 7ft if im like a baby girraffe in a play pen.

like i said i want to be able to run

just have to see how i feel with a heel insert i suppose .

but again thanks, for great input.

M

Maverick118

You should be okay to move in these mate, as it will only push you up an inch or so above the sole that's already inserted. The indent is realy to keep the heel secure whilst inside the foot. The one problem I can see with yours is just how flexible the stryro foam is, if it won't flex much it may hamper movement rather than help it.

J

JediUsurper

The foam is not flexible, but it DOESNT hinder a great deal as its very light, ill just end up running like a AVP pred hehe.

again its a trade off im happy with

Y

yautja clone

I think the foam idea is a perfect solution, good luck.

Found these on the Bay, relatively cheap. I think they would work too. These are 3.5 '' lift.

omVacationc.jpg

I also found a pair at my " SECRET " costuming supply shop,,, also known as Goodwill... . I think I will stop in today and pick them up for a buck or two.