Flex Design Suit---Video Review Posted # 8

eaglewood

Hunter
Ok-- I pulled the trigger and got one of Brandons suits.  www.flexdesigncostumes.com    I got the standard design which is still pretty freaking big. Not cheap but Im sure its worth every penny.  I am still trying to decide what exactly I want to do. Here are my ideas 

1. Do a completely crazy paint job on it, have removeable armor and all accessories, and just call it good there. It would be just a one off suit 

2. Take the suit, cover it with a thin plastic sheeting, Make a either  a fiberglass or Plaster , plastipaste or similar shell mold of the entire suit. Then fill that mold with expandable rigid foam and use that as a mannequin to sculpt a brand new design body on. Then I will make another mold  of the finished sculpt, pour it in either latex or silicone and backfill it to fit me and then give it the rad paint job. Then I will be doing some custom dragon scale chain maille armor along with other sculpted, created  and customized leather , metal ,worbla,  or and resin armor and suit pieces.  This way I can do additional suits if requested/needed. Gives me a bit more versatility and I will still have the original suit to do option # 1 if I want.

3.  Havent thought of 3 yet

Any suggestions or comments are welcomed.

Tutank

Blooded
I would love to see it turn into the predator 1. The one that started it all. But that's just me. I love the suits, just never had money to get one with all the other stuff I'm doing.

spgfx

Hunter
Those suits look so amazing. It would be at the top of my "money is no object" list. I'm really looking forward to following your build

eaglewood

Hunter
ptgreek said:
ya ..# two is basically recasting bro
ptgreek said:
ya ..# two is basically recasting bro
  Not using it as is-- going to be just using it as a base to do sculpting on and will completely be changing the design-- wont be duplicating his suit close to any way of what it looks like  or the materials used. Already considered that issue.   But thanks George- I will contact Brandon and discuss with him first tho.

ptgreek

Elite Hunter
still a bit confused about the process. you say you want to make a fiberglass or hard "mold" off the flex design suit ..then the casting is going to be rigid foam? you will be casting something rigid from a rigid mold ..my main concern is that you will lock it in. Fiberglass resin will most likely melt the plastic wrap. plastipaste or dough may work, but your mold will have to be multiple pieces ( the torque on opening the mold will crack on a single piece per side mold)  and you will need to wax the substance that you wrap the suit in well ..any of those material seep through and it will bond to the fabric.

the other problem is that the material of the suit is soft. Most likely the weight of the material used to make the mold will cause distortion.

just looking out bro ..i'd hate for you to ruin an expensive suit that is cotton and foam

eaglewood

Hunter
ptgreek said:
still a bit confused about the process. you say you want to make a fiberglass or hard "mold" off the flex design suit ..then the casting is going to be rigid foam? you will be casting something rigid from a rigid mold ..my main concern is that you will lock it in. Fiberglass resin will most likely melt the plastic wrap. plastipaste or dough may work, but your mold will have to be multiple pieces ( the torque on opening the mold will crack on a single piece per side mold)  and you will need to wax the substance that you wrap the suit in well ..any of those material seep through and it will bond to the fabric.

the other problem is that the material of the suit is soft. Most likely the weight of the material used to make the mold will cause distortion.

just looking out bro ..i'd hate for you to ruin an expensive suit that is cotton and foam
George-- I am going to take a lot of precautions-- I have contacted Brandon and waiting a reply before I proceed anyway.  Fiberglass is the outer shell-- most likely plastipaste or something similar for right next to the suit. Believe me, Im going to protect it. As far as the separation-- should not be a problem as it is pretty symmetrical. Im thinking a front half complete and back half complete. Should not be too hard to separate after that. I will give it some more thought. I am thinking that the initial  opening of the mold wont be bad cause the suit is flexible somewhat. The rigid foam should not be bad either-- Heck, I have a BUNCH of flex foam that was a deal so I may use that instead-- who knows what I come up with here? Maybe a skin of flex foam and the core in rigid?  if it starts to crack , then I cut it and make flanges-- that simple. Im going to protect the original  at all costs once I get the OK to go with this.

On another note-- Here is a quick review of the suit.

http://youtu.be/oPwo9ZtgMhY

ptgreek

Elite Hunter
if you are going to proceed ..try grey epoxycoat as your detail layer. its much sturdier then plastipaste .. then a fiberglass layer .then freeform air ....then sandwich  with another layer of fiberglass ..you will have a much stronger mold, with the little bit of flexibility to pop it open.

eaglewood

Hunter
ptgreek said:
if you are going to proceed ..try grey epoxycoat as your detail layer. its much sturdier then plastipaste .. then a fiberglass layer .then freeform air ....then sandwich  with another layer of fiberglass ..you will have a much stronger mold, with the little bit of flexibility to pop it open.
George-- I have been considering what to use as well for the detail coat-- Since I got not only the go ahead from Brandon, but a very strong "proceed as we love the idea ---just give us pics and videos". I will be starting on this after we use the suit as is in our Christmas production- (Need a buff Gabriel Guardian Angel) .

So we will see how this goes for sure!

eaglewood

Hunter
Here is the first use for the suit-- Wont be me in it for our church production, but we needed a buff angel.  probably losing the Thor helmet, Adding more straps, belts and buckles to the costume.  Looks pretty sweet when you move too. the wings have great flow and movement.

1503_zps7a9675db.jpe
1506_zpsf1757bff.jpe
1500_zpsfdbd6c3b.jpe