Foam Templates For Pepakura.

ItUsesTheJungle

Unblooded
Hi to all,

Movieman and Rhinoc own most of the credits for the models used in the following package. I remodeled or created some parts, keeping "foam" in mind, and using these hot toy pictures as reference.

predator.jpgrar.gif
Predator - foam edit & unfold JFcustom.rar

To print these templates correctly, you must tick "print alignment marks for multiple pages" in "setting / print setting". Once printed, cut the three top and left corners of each page, and tape your sheets together just like on the 2D view.

pdotape01.jpg

pdotape03.jpg

Hot glue can be used as standalone to make a foam panel keep its curved shape :

readme2.gif

Basically, to fold your foam inward or outward, cut a notch on the inner side of it :

readme1.gif

Just like on the pic below, dot lines can mean whether a folding line, or an overlaping area.

unfoldedcubewtabs.gif

I highly recommend watching this video, by CullenCosplay, for deeper explanations about how to handle these foam templates.

Enjoy ^^

ItUsesTheJungle

Unblooded
It's the main idea. Yes.

You're 76" tall, a 6' guy is 72" tall.
(100/72)x76 gives roughly 105.5. So yes, around 105% seems fine.

But let's check precisely :
the scale factor is set to 80. Using the pdo "full suit for scaling purpose" and auto-unfolding it at 80, the measurement tool tells me it's perfect for a 172cm tall guy, that meens a 5'8" guy. Not 6'. (remember I said it was -roughly- scaled for a 6' person)
That means, if a scale factor at 80 is good for a 68" tall guy, it must be settled up to (80/68)x76=89.4 for a 76" tall guy like you are. A bit more than 110%.

Anyway, if I were you, I would consider keeping 105% (or close) for cod piece, butt and chest, and applying something closer to 115% for limbs parts. Otherwise you run the risk to overly and needlessly increase the width of your chest part, and find yourself with still too short arms/legs pieces...

In any case, to avoid any doubt and prevent any sizing failure, you may want to :
- use the measurement tool embedded in pepakura designer (free version works fine),
- build at first a quick crash-test life sized mockup out of cardboard for example, or cereal box or any free material.
It's worth both time and expensive foam you'll save.

cavx

Unblooded
Sorry for being such a noob for this post. This is the thread I've been looking for. I have the above bio template but have hit a few snags assembling it. I seem to be having an issue with the brow around the eyes.

I am now on my 2nd go at this now using a 4mm compressed foam.

My first attempt was a hack job using 10mm EVA foam. I ended up building up the parts that did not seem to work and shaping the foam by grinding it away with a small drum sander on the dremel. I sealed it using ABS Sludge (ABS disolved in acetone), sanded and painted it.

I think allot of my issues came about because I didn't realize you could rotate the 3D model in the PEP3 viewer. I wasn't really sure about how to fold some parts and so I took a guess and I ended up with the snout a bit longer than it should be.

So it is a bit is customized P1 Bio and I want a more SA one.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

ItUsesTheJungle

Unblooded
It's almost sure you missed something but hey, it's still a predator helmet ! They are so many declinations anyway.
The main purpose of pepakura viewer was precisely to figure out how pieces are arranged one with each other, by selecting a piece on the 2D view, and rotating the final part on the 3D view, before-during-and-after folding and gluing it. What you did obtain here without using this feature is almost magic.

Well it's decided, my next video will be the build of this foam biohelmet. This way you'll see a bit better how it's actually suposed to work.

cavx

Unblooded
ItUsesTheJungle said:
It's almost sure you missed something but hey, it's still a predator helmet ! They are so many declinations anyway.
[/QUOTE]True and thank you :)  Yeah, took it to paint and mesh stage simply because I did like the way it was turning out even though I knew it was not correct and slightly wonky.  As I said, it was a hack job because I needed to an actual 3D mock up to get a better understanding of that these should look like, size etc.  Once it started going together, I thought it was looking cool and decided to finish it.  It still needs the laser greeblie which I probably just use LEDs for.    

ItUsesTheJungle said:
The main purpose of pepakura viewer was precisely to figure out how pieces are arranged one with each other, by selecting a piece on the 2D view, and rotating the final part on the 3D view, before-during-and-after folding and gluing it. What you did obtain here without using this feature is almost magic.

Well it's decided, my next video will be the build of this foam biohelmet. This way you'll see a bit better how it's actually suposed to work.
[/QUOTE]That would be awesome because even though the PEP3 program shows what parts should go where, I am still having an issue with the brow (if it can be called that) on this 2nd attempt and how to fold that laser mount.  Part of the problem for both this and last version is material thickness and in the end, I just customized the parts of that version.  

I have a sheet of clear (poly carb, I think that is what it is) and will make a new set of templates and go back to standard foam and superglue.  This compressed foam I am currently using requires heat to bend it and doesn't seem to glue real well.     

The lesson learned about foam is to trace, cutout larger and then trim to size.  
When I did this first attempt, the brim on the dome was made of 3 parts where my 2nd attempt is one.  

cavx

Unblooded
2013-11-03 08.55.53.jpg

I spend about 10 hours (over 2 nights) and did a complete re-build.

I am missing a part around the brow and the cheeks have not bulged once again. What happens when working in 10mm foam I guess.

cavx

Unblooded
Saw this link over at the RPF but could not get the audio happening.  What is the thickness of the foam?
Might have to track down a 4~6mm sheet and have another go.  After that, I might have a crack at the rest of the costume.  

cavx

Unblooded
UPDATE: So after watching the video and learning some really cool techniques, I decided to re-do the cheeks.

2013-11-05 21.48.19.jpg

This has really filled out the face. Pretty happy with this now :cool:

Smooshter

Unblooded
Awesome tutorial :) Looking forward to getting this build done. I do have one question though. Would anyone have a falconer helmet template for pep that can be done with foam? if not I shall make do with the current one :) 

Also the sheaf for the dagger is there but is there a template for the dagger itself? 

Jimmy

Unblooded
I finished the basic build of the Butt Plate last night. I altered and decorated the top piece a bit to my own creativity. I used a heat un and aluminum fil to make a leather texture effect, created a Yautja hieroglyph and then crazy glad some goggly eyes which will like the symbol be painted as metal to look like leather rivets. I also stitched with hi strength thread to give a hem line to make it look like a genuine leather worked piece.

11927448_10207090139914064_8956544574082853115_o.jpg

11900071_10207090139434052_1002558997288136511_n.jpg