Got the Winston Effect Yesterday!!!!

C

Cenobite Detective

I picked up the Winston Effect book yesterday and there's alot of Pred stuff in there, my fav is the KILLER shot of the P2 Elder.

Did you guys get it yet, what did you think of it?

P

PredatoRob

I was notified through Amazon.com that my copy has shipped already - sooner than expected. Whatever that means.

So... is the Predator stuff in there worth buying the book? Yeah, I know there are other movies in there as well, but I'm just really anxious about the Predator stuff.

P

pirkleations

EEEEK!!!

I'm still saving up my pocket change for it. Not yet!! Not yet!!!

Are all secrets revealed?? O)

~DangerDavey

C

Cenobite Detective

There are some killer shots in it, a FULL page pic of the pred with the original bio (the one that looks like the Gort), and a huge pic of the P2 Elder. Also there's a good front shot of the sniper Boar bio, in the light and you can see it really good.

I

inkdoctor

roughly how may predator pics are in it? im a stan winston fan but if it only has 3 to 5 predator pics in it im not gonna spend the money on it.

I

inkdoctor

well the borders books in my area had 1 copy of it. and i thumbed though it and had to buy it. theres about 10 pic of the predator stuff and alot of the story behind the making of it. theres 1 large pic of kph wearing the gort bio that ive never seen before. after seeing it up close hopfully someone will try to sculpt another gort bio. although the 2 ive seen are awsome sculpts there not really that close to the original. theres alot of stuff on john rosengrant to.

S

Shadow predator

Just ordered mine through Amazon.com, it's well worth it...

P

PredatoRob

I saw it at the local Borders today, too. I also thumbed through it and decided that I didn't want to wait for Amazon.com to ship it to me. I had to have it.

The Predator pics (I LOVE Mark "Crash" McCreery's drawings) and story are well worth the book alone, in my humble opinion. However there's other creatures in there that you really don't hear to much about. Such as "Leviathan," "Manimal (That show was unintentionally funny)," "The Monster Squad," and some others. I was kinda disappointed that there weren't any pics of the Lost Hunters other than Greyback and the Boar Junior Helmet.

Great book!! I highly recommend it!!

T

tjm023

Got it today! and WOW! This book is a must have for anyone, not just predator fans. Tons of material! Love the GORT close up !
Well worth the $.

Tom

I

inkdoctor

wouldnt that be the best to work in a place like that? that studio rocks if i got to walk in and work in a place like that i think i would allways have a woodie. and yes the big picture of the gort kicks butt.

S

seknewb

wouldnt that be the best to work in a place like that? that studio rocks if i got to walk in and work in a place like that i think i would allways have a woodie. and yes the big picture of the gort kicks butt.
Working at SWS is a Love-Hate thing. Most everyone would LOVE to work there until they do and then they HATE it.

Seriously though, this book is another fantastic look at the LOVE side of the equation that is the "magic" of Hollywood. It's not the reality of being there. It does make me nostalgic for the 8 shows I spent there even though at the time I hated it... working as much as 100+ hours a week while on a 40 hour week based salary. You put up with it though because it was the only way you got to go on set for puppeteering, etc unless you were one of the "lifers" (not referring to John or Shane) who spent more time wandering around taking credit for your work (even though they had nothing to do with it) than actually working themselves. It's a VERY political environment, and most experienced industry people only choose to work there to be involved with a recognizable show or if not much else is going on.

Put simply, I know far more people who would prefer NOT to work there than would want to work there. It's a good place to experience for sure, but that's in the sense of giving a reality check. In other words, it's like any job out there. You go in with certain ambitions and a great attitude and once you settle in, you see it for what it really is... just another job and nothing really THAT special.

That said, this book is nicely done and could only be improved IMO by making it bigger/longer than the 350ish pages it is.

M

MEANGENE83

seknewb, this is the second time i have read about your comments about SWS. Seems like the place was alot like the rest of the world.

But looking at the book I kept thinking about how lucky you guys where to just be able to have been there and experienced it all.

Who can say they where involved with creating some of the most iconic creatures in movies. Regardless of whatever jackass took credit for your work.

S

seknewb

seknewb, this is the second time i have read about your comments about SWS. Seems like the place was alot like the rest of the world.

But looking at the book I kept thinking about how lucky you guys where to just be able to have been there and experienced it all.

Who can say they where involved with creating some of the most iconic creatures in movies. Regardless of whatever jackass took credit for your work.

GENE

You're right about that Gene. I'm sure you can guess how many times people in the business must hear how great our careers must be. True, it's better than sitting behind a desk or flipping burgers. It is a bit humbling to know that pretty much everyone is familiar with something you have been involved with or done. On the other hand, it really IS just another job. Once the "reality" takes over from the "illusion", it's no different than working anywhere else. We all do it because we love it, so in that sense, I guess we really are all lucky to be able to do something we want to be doing rather than settle for whatever job pays the bills.

I guess the way to look at it is this... People who are fans of movies and characters usually can't wait to see more and/or what comes next. That's how I was before starting in the business. On the other hand, when you've been looking at something non-stop for as much as a year (Oh boy, seam ANOTHER alien head skin. That makes 10 in a row) you want to move on to something else. By the time the film comes out, you don't even care about the movie. You just want to see what is left of your work after the editor has finished since most of what you poured your heart and soul into will never see the light of day anyway. That's where this book is a good thing. It's a trip down memory lane and a look back at so much of what we did that often wasn't seen or that you've forgotten.

When working at SWS, you absolutely knew your place in the food chain. Stan would rarely give anyone the time of day unless you were one of his "lifers". After 8 shows and 2 years, I don't think he even knew my name. I only actually saw him maybe 10 times total (other than on set). Compare that to Baker's or ADI where Rick, Tom, and Alec would go out of their way to come over and talk to EVERY new or returning employee, introduce themselves, and see what brought you there, or what you've been up to, etc. Until you've been part of it, it's a tough thing to explain.

On that note though, I will say again... this book is great IMO. As a fan, I can't recommend it enough. It's a must have collection of the work done at SWS and in no way am I trying to discourage anybody from picking it up.

GET IT!

I

inkdoctor

im shure you right about that i know i thought being a tattoo artist would be the coolest job in the world. and believe me its a incredible job to have. but once it does become a regular job theres days that it becomes just that, a job that pays the bills. i like to keep things in my tattoo shop like part of my model collection and may bring in a lifesized predator to surround myself with the things i enjoy.

S

seknewb

It's funny how true that is. When you spend every day working with this stuff, and on many of them just not wanting to be there at all because you're so sick of it, it's strange that you go home and actually miss it almost immediately (assuming you're awake still that is).