HAND CASTING ?

inkmonster

Hunter
well since it looks like the original molds and nobody it seems has ever got a casting of the original p-1 hands ive decieded to sculpt a set of my own. i have a bunch of refernce photos now so i ahve a few questions? whats the best way to make a life cast of my hands? and once the hands are sculpted can they be poured in ultra cal, then sculpt the gloves over that then make a new mold? im a bit of a beginer when it comes to sculpting so i want to do the details in the gloves in a seperate sculpt. any tips would be greatly appreciated and i will post pics of the progress.

Ruffkintoy

Hunter
I re read your post. Are you wanting to sculpt the hands and then sculpt the partial glove as a seperate piece?

inkmonster

Hunter
I re read your post. Are you wanting to sculpt the hands and then sculpt the partial glove as a seperate piece?
hi ruffkin, no i dont want to sculpt them as a seperate piece i want to make a mother mold of the sculpted hands in plaster. then sculpt the gloves over it incase i screw up the glove part the whole hand isnt ruined and i can just resulpt the glove part of it as needed.

inkmonster

Hunter
rufkin thanks for the link to that site. that looks like the perfect way to do it plus i wont need any help while doing it.

Mannowar

Hunter
Hey Ink,
I'm going to be starting the same project in the next couple weeks... I have a couple recommendations... First is Alja-Safe alginate. It does not contain "free crystalline silica" (a known carcinogen... granted, your exposure won't be great anyway, but why take the chance). Second recommendation is... Instead of building a cardboard retaining wall, spend 6 or 8 bucks on a couple plastic containers (i.e... pitchers, or tall, thin buckets... anything that will give you clearance with your fingers spread). I recommend this to prevent any leakage. If you use the other method, make sure you go over every seam with lots of tape to prevent leakage... I'd also completely seal all areas of the cardboard that will be exposed with tape as well. I've had cardboard get soaked enough to bust open once or twice.

Another thought on the base... make a seperate base... when pouring your plaster positive, insert a piece of PVC pipe as the plaster sets a bit.... do the same in the base. This will allow you to add a PVC fitting between the hand and the base, so you can adjust the height of what you're working on by adding different lengths of pvc, or you can remove the hand from the base entirely if need be. Some people use wooden dowels for this too... Wood can absorb moisture though, and swell and shrink, causing a loose fit in the positive...

Just some extra thoughts...