Heating sculpey with a heat gun

R

Round Hammer

Can this be done right on top of a large resin/fiberglass piece?
It's resin on top, backed with a layer of FB. I've heard that people cure sculpey on top of other items with a heat gun, is this true?

K

kithunter

never heard of it

sculpy is a pain in the ass to begin with, burning it in the oven is one of my past time favorite things to do.....

try it out let us know if it works

T

The Mortal Immortal

I've never hire of that or tryed it. I have used bake and bend to make molds but never left the item in it and cook it. Not sure if the heat gun would bake the sculpey right.

R

RaptorArts

This is right up my alley since I use sculpy a lot. yes you can cook it with a heat gun just make sure to move the heat around aka move the heat gun around so that your not cooking the same spot for too long and have it on low seting not high. Do this for about 5 minutes let cool and your sculpy will be fine. It wont be as tough as it would be being baked in an oven but you can do repeated heatings with the heat gun. Heres one of my sculpts with the scales baked with the heat gun

www.raptorarts.com/VinceArt/RubMyBellyDragonFinished2.jpg

R

Round Hammer

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Vince, so what happens when you bake sculpey in this manner...does it stay soft at it's core?

M

manfromatlantis

An important thing to remember when curing (baking) sculpey or super sculpey, is that what's actually going on is a chemical reaction. The heat activates a catalyst in the material, that causes it to harden.
It's crucial to the curing of the material that the heat be distributed throughout the area of the piece you've made.

Using a heat gun is a great idea for baking small pieces, but for larger things, can be very ineffective. If the heat isn't even distributed, the piece will cure unevenly and also stand a good chance of cracking, which is another inherent problem with the stuff...

It's a good idea to pre-heat the oven before baking, and also to leave the piece in the oven and let it cool SLOWLY. Taking the piece out of the oven immediately after baking, or opening the oven door, will greatly increase the chance of cracking.

SC

R

RaptorArts

SC hit it on the nail on that one. The heat gun is recommended for small pieces only. If its a large piece then bake it in the oven. Nice to see ya on here SC havent seen ya in a Bats Age