Help carving foam for bodysuit...

N

neonstorm7

I need some help...! I just bought a little high-density foam from the craft store to test carving out some musculature.
I got the pieces trimmed roughly to size OK, but when I try and add any detail all I come out with is a jagged mess. To you guys out there that have done this... how? Can you give me some pointers on shaping it? What did you use? I did notice they had two types of foam at the store - white and green. I got the denser of the two (the green). Should I have gotten the other?

Thanks!!!

Ryan

S

Shovel Face Sharky

what are you using to carve it? I've heard that an electric meat carver works well.

N

neonstorm7

Unfortunately, I don't have one so I just carefully used a large SHARP knife to do the majority of the large-scale cutting. Now I just need something to tweak the small details... Do you think that would work for that as well? It seems like it may be a little clumsy. (For me at least lol)

Thanks for the reply!

Ryan

P

pirkleations

Ryan,

Check your local thrift stores(Goodwill, Salvation Army) for a an Electric Carving Knife. It will likely only cost about $4.00-$10.00 for a good, used one. It really is perfect for foam carving.

DangeDavey

N

neonstorm7

Thanks guys. The inlaws had one, and it does work well! Unfortunately, I couldn't get the detail I expected so I'm gonna try the super hero costume idea...

Thanks!

Ryan