Help, cracking mask.

A

acerhater

I purchased a P2 mask from DB a few months back and was getting around to painting it and much to my horror and dismay it is falling apart. It is cracking in multiple locations all over. Is there anything I can do to save this or is it junk? What would cause this, a bad batch of latex? This was stored with my other mask I got from him and another one, all unpainted and this is the only one with this problem, the others are just fine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

cracking-mask-008.jpg
cracking-mask-009.jpg

cracking-mask-001.jpg
cracking-mask-002.jpg

cracking-mask-003.jpg
cracking-mask-005.jpg

cracking-mask-006.jpg
cracking-mask-007.jpg

P

predmandb

Who did you purchase thid from and how ling has it been stored?

P

pirkleations

I'm not sure how you could save it at this point. If it doesn't crack in any more areas, you might be able to mend it with more latex blended in. If the entire mask ends up with this problem, it might be a lost cause.

I have some theories as to why this might happen...

-The mask itself may already have been improperly stored and exposed to the elements for some time before you purchased it

- Old or poor quality latex was used for the casting

- Too much filler or tinting was used with the latex

- Latex house paint was used with the latex as an extender

- The mask is suffering from continental drift and seismic tremors caused the cracks in it's surface plate

Hope this info helps.

DangerDavey

R

RaptorArts

well as far as I know direct sunlight and a very dry area can cause this, also a bad batch of latex can too. I would say its a bad batch because none of my latex pulls have had this problem. Only a very old latex would do this. which is repairable with rubber cement and gause or a new trick i heard today which was acitone and more latex. acitone actually breaks down latex and annother layer of latex revitalizes it so it will stick. Dont know if it will work with mask latex but if it works for mold latex it should work for mask latex.

*ACK* you beat me to the post LOL

T

The Mortal Immortal

Not sure where you got that mask, but it don't look like the ones I seen. DB P2 mask come out orange pink out of the molds. It should look more like this color (pictured below). Your mask looks like it has been in the heat and sun. I have a mask that has been sitting out side for a few years to check to see how long latex will last in the desert sun. It has cracks in it like that but they started to appear after a year sitting the sun.

Picture of what color it should be. All mask that left DB place this year has been this color:
2006_0805_223753AA.jpg

Pictures of my latex testing mask:
2006_0813_215047AA.jpg

2006_0813_215057AA.jpg

2006_0813_215111AA.jpg

What it use to look like before the testing:
dracula.jpg

A

acerhater

Who did you purchase thid from and how ling has it been stored?
Hey there Dan. I purchased the mask from you in January this year, it was when you were retiring the P2 mold you had. It has been stored indoors in a box with the P1 I purchased from you at the same time from the P1 mold you retierd and a P1 from the Immortal I believe. The box was stored indoors closed (no direct sunlight has touched this mask).

edit; let me add that the others are perfectly fine, its just this one and the color it is now is the same I remember it coming to me as.

T

The Mortal Immortal

This one I got in december of last year.
2006_0116_221122AA.jpg

This the one I poured last week.
2006_0805_223753AA.jpg

P

predmandb

I dont use any type of fillers,extenders, or pigments except for black. I dont have any latex that is old cause it goes as fast as money. I think storing it in a box was a bad move, i am puzzled,as i have never had a mask do that ever.

T

The Big Gunns

Im gonna post this on an effects board and see what they say. Hopefully the Monster Maker guy will respond.. hes a late expert.

~Mel

A

acerhater

Nice looking mask Immortal, wish mine looked as well as those did. The one you did for me (P1) was very nice also, very thick cast. The other P1 Dan did for me though thinner is very nice also, its just this one. Maybe it was the last of a batch of latex he had, maybe the manufacturer goofed that batch, who knows. It seems the consensus is that the latex was bad or maybe the elements. Since it has not been exposed to many elements as it has been in a box except for when I added a zipper to the back of the head and it is only about 7 months old (the one you pictured being exposed to the sun for a year didn’t seem as deteriorated as this one is) that leaves it pretty much up to the latex blend, at least to me.

I am not trying to cast accusations here my main purpose if to see if those of you that have experience with latex know if there is any way I can salvage it and make it usable. I don’t want to patch it up with latex and spend a lot of time painting it only to have it pull apart the first time I put it on. Would backing up the material with something like panty hose coated with latex work, how about thinning out some latex and spraying a thin covering over the whole mask? If I remember right you don’t live to far from me Immortal, would you be interested in taking a look at it and giving me your opinion? You do a lot of great work from what I have seen and maybe after looking at it you could suggest something.

Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it. Dan, don’t think I am saying you did anything wrong either, I’m not. From what I have seen and experienced myself you do nothing but quality work. I am just perplexed as to what caused this and looking for a solution to this, something I can do to save it.

T

The Mortal Immortal

I would use cheese cloths and latex or rubber cement to patch and repair my old mask.

D

DAVIDYR1

Looks like that was cast in un vulcanized latex. From time to time latex manufacturers may accidentally do that and fill their drums with latex that has not yet been vulcanized. The result is it starts to crack almost on it's own.

What's unusal, is that happens 'typically' when the latex starts to cure inside the mold...in other words before it gets demolded.
It's odd to see this breaking down over time though. Could have been a batch of latex...I doubt that repairing it will do any good. By the looks of it the entire casting will crack that way.

Oh and let me add, I'm just commenting on what I see in the pics. By no means should this be seens as a jab at anyone. I still believe that everyone here is interested in helping out and keeping the hobby alive.
Unfortunate things like this can happen from time to time...that's all.

David

T

The Big Gunns

Ok guys.. results are in. This is what the latex expert (Arnold) over at Monster Makers had to say:

I've seen latex that has too much filler or is overcured or both result in this effect. Sometimes they go hand in hand. Another possiblility is that the mask itself was once frozen solid which can have some negative effects. If for example it was left in his garage all winter and than pullled out in the spring.

Casting with latex that is very old is possible too. Anything over a year, sometimes even six months depending on the brand and if addtional ammonia was added can etc. can go bad. There are too many variables to say for sure. My first hunch is old latex. I'd get a fresh pull with new latex.

A

acerhater

Thanks one and all for you input. So it looks like the latex is the culprit. As mentioned in an earlier post this was stored indoors since I received it and my thermostat is at 65 during the winter so I believe freezing is out of the question. I am going to try the suggestions that you all posted to try and save this and also thin some latex and overspray the entire mask to give it a covering of fresh latex which hopefully will help keep it together and maybe prevent the further appearance of new cracking. I will keep my fingers crossed but not get my hopes up. At least the price I paid for this was a lair special and if the mask is trash it will not be such a loss as it was only $40 plus the cost of the zipper I put on it (which I could salvage if the mask goes south).

Dan, do not take anything that I am saying as a shot at you as it isn’t. You have no control over the manufacture of the latex and I know you made this for me with the full intentions of getting me a good mask. You had no way of knowing that this would happen (though you wouldn’t get an argument from me if you felt bad and wanted to replace it...lol, a little subliminal message there[but I am not asking you to]). I appreciate your work and know that you do your best to help others here at the lair.

Mel, let your friend know that I say thanks for his expertise. It was much appreciated.

I’ll let you know how or if this works out.