Help please, rather stuck on time, money and talent

L

Lordworm

Trying to piece together a Predator suit and looking for a place to buy armor/props, the only thing I really have is the mask and muscle suit and, as you can tell, its getting pretty close to Halloween...any help is appreciated, tips on crafting, where to buy and how much, all that fun stuff. Thanks in advance.

J. Lowe

P

pirkleations

Hit your thrift stores/second-hand stores hard for sports armor. Shoulder pads, shin pads, elbow and knee pads.

While you are there, look for some toy guns or swords that can be potentially turned into a shouder cannon or hunter weapons.

Pick up some silver paint. The hammered kind looks and works really well. Get some black paint as well for aging the armor and weapons.

That should set you up temporarily for a basic suit until you have more time to work on it after Halloween.

Good Luck!!

~DangerDavey

M

mannowar

Considering your timeline, thrift stores are your best bet at this point. Get some PVC pipe, a PVC "t" connector and some end caps for a makeshift cannon. If you want to do something that will make your armor look weathered, paint it silver, then sponge some black acrylic on (small sections)... wipe the black off before it dries...black will stay in the creases but is wiped off the highlights... definitely better than just silver. Also, keep an eye out on ebay for armor parts. Army surplus store for netting. Good luck

L

Lordworm

Thanks for the info, I have looked up all about crafting and am trying to make some latex armor parts, kinda thought of a Batman themed Pred suit via Batman vs. Predator. I just can't seem to smooth the clay on my armature very well, its all lumpy. What is a good technique to smooth the clay down? I am using oil based modeling clay.

Thanks.

M

mannowar

Make sure your clay is warm enough. Handle and knead it a lot. I like to leave mine in the car on a warm day so when I'm ready to work it is very soft...Although I live in souther California so warm days are a little more routine than other parts of the country... Roll some in your hands first. Then, use a rolling pin to flatten large pieces of clay out... Imprint them with the outline of the armiture, cut out around the imprint and apply the whole piece. Then build your detail on top of this. Make sure your armiture is well wired and doesn't give a lot movement-wise. You can also sculpt down from a larger block of clay with no armiture at all.

L

Lordworm

Thanks for the reply, I am no longer stuck on time because I have admitted defeat to this Halloween and am now aiming to have my costume by next year. I still plan on working on it all year to have it perfect for next year and to display it in my house.

P.S. I am using a duct tape dummy of my forearm as an armature for my gauntlets. It seems to be working pretty well for me...now to just figure out how to sculpt...