Help Tinting/coloring Rd 407 Latex

wonko

Hunter
I'm getting ready to coat my muscle suit in latex and have a question about tinting the latex. My plan is to add some coloring to the latex to help hide the base color (which is blue) and I don't know if I should go with acrylic craft paint or use a latex paint. I would love to use the tints from monster (kicking myself for not getting some when I ordered the latex) but due to time and schedule that's really not an option. I've read where some have said that the acrylic has taken some of the flexibility out of the latex, while others say it's fine. I have no problems acquiring either type of paint so that's not an issue. I want to do this right, because frankly this hasn't been a "super awesome fantastic" experience (I'm using the real deal next time around) and I need it to last a while. Anyone have any experience with this? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Brian

P.S. Yeah, I did use the search at the top, didn't find what I was looking for ;)

chingonaz0

Blooded
I used latex paint when I did my Mr.I suit. It works great and is still very flexible. So from personal experience I would say use the latex paint.

ptgreek

Elite Hunter
The best thing to use is called "Pro-line" universal tints.. It's what's used in both slip latex and foam latex. But honestly... You can just use acrilycs

The one thing about acrylics, especially if they are heavy body ones, is you can end up with lumps of pure paint. I would go with the ProLine TInts. Frend's sells them, and if you are not in LA, you can just call up and order. They ship everywhere. These are strong, so a little goes a long way, and they always distribute properly, no lumps. You can also use GM Foam latex tints, but those are a bit pricey.

Robillicus

Hunter
You could drop by any number of Paint stores and pick up some colorant that way, too. I know the company I work for uses water-based tints. Also, we don't charge anything for it either. A little bit goes a LOOOOONG way. Depending on where you go, there shouldn't be a charge for it. We give ounces of that **** away for free everyday.

wonko

Hunter
You could drop by any number of Paint stores and pick up some colorant that way, too. I know the company I work for uses water-based tints. Also, we don't charge anything for it either. A little bit goes a LOOOOONG way. Depending on where you go, there shouldn't be a charge for it. We give ounces of that **** away for free everyday.
That's exactly what I did and it worked out awesome. Thanks to all who replies!

Brian

ptgreek

Elite Hunter
Nooooooo. Household interior latex contain enamels and are NOT good for tinting latex. Honestly... Proline tint is the most non invasive to your latex.. Followed by standard soft body acrylics .. Just stick to one of those and then do the rest in your paint

wonko

Hunter
Nooooooo. Household interior latex contain enamels and are NOT good for tinting latex. Honestly... Proline tint is the most non invasive to your latex.. Followed by standard soft body acrylics .. Just stick to one of those and then do the rest in your paint
Well then, I've already used it to tint the latex I made my body suit out of...crap. What can I expect from it since there's no going back now? Damn, I wish I'd have know this sooner! :-(

House paint, even if it says latex, does not always contain any latex, it just means your paint is a water based emmulsion. It is possible the the paint will cause the latex to fall apart, not cure right, or just remove a lot of it's strength. Slim slim chance there will be no effect. Depends on the ratios.