How do you create a Bio-Helmet?

Tjauke Zazin

Blooded
Alright, I own a Rubies mask, which does come with a bio-helmet, but there is a small problem. I intend on modifying the whole thing heavily, and I got to thinking that the bio-helmet would be a problem, because it just doesn't look entirely accurate... So, I was wondering if there was any way to create a bio-helmet (Predator 1/AVP style) that would fit on the Rubies mask that magnets would still hold without looking screwy, so to speak? I'd also like to know if there's anyone who knows how to make the targetting system, because I'd like to make it as realistic as possible.

DangerDavey

Hunter
Here's an idea for you to make use of the Rubie's mask AS the base for your bio....

Cover your mask with celophane and build up a bio over that using either paper mache, spray foam or fiberglass resin. The spray foam would be the easiest to carve to a neat bio, but it is pretty thick(About an inch). The paper mache or fiberglass resin would make a thinner bio, but may be harder to tailor to an interesting style.

In the end, if you use the actual mask as the base for the bio sculpt, the fit will be pretty much perfect.

~DD

Tjauke Zazin

Blooded
Actually, I considered that, but I like having the option of revealing the Yautja's actual face. But if anyone knows how to create the tri-lasers...

Robillicus

Hunter
The method I used, unfortunately, is not the best bang-for-the-buck idea.

I sculpted up a helmet ontop of a P1 "armature" that I got from a good metrasexual friend of mine. Anyhow, I went into it not really looking for something to wear, but something to experiment with and just to get an all around feel for the craft of sculpting/molding/casting etc.

It took me a long ass time to sculpt it up (between school and such.) But when I finally did I was relieved as all hell. So, after that came the silicone molding process, then the plaster mold process. So much fun!!! Once that was done, the fun-fun-silly-willy part with the resin came. Now, I thought, at the time, I was buying the correct resin, but no. I totally read their chart wrong and bought the kind that begins to set after 15 minutes, and cures after 30. Alot of people will tell you how fast resin cures... sure. Depending on which kind you buy. Anyway, once I fingered it out, it was all money. Got it all cast up, painted and it's currently sitting on my bed. The mold is downstairs covered in trash bags. I need to redo the mother.

SO... to break it down -

$100 on clay. Find a local supplier. Shipping will hurt your brown eye.
$40 for the ultra-cal plaster. You might want to order more if your new to it. Be sure to mix it right. Also, be sure to get an N95 approved dust mask to use when you mix it. Ultra-cal contains alkaline. Same **** in batteries. Yup.
$150 on a 2-part resin plastic kit. Again make sure you order the kind that best fits your needs. Use in a well ventillated area, too. After awhile this **** makes you goofy. Not too cool, and not too hot. Otherwise it won't cure fast enough or too fast.

- Worth it? Oh hell yes. I loved every minute of it. And now I have something I made!

This is just kind of a broad generalization of what I did. IF you want I could write you up a more specific description. But this **** ain't cheap.

:p

Tjauke Zazin

Blooded
The method I used, unfortunately, is not the best bang-for-the-buck idea.

I sculpted up a helmet ontop of a P1 "armature" that I got from a good metrasexual friend of mine. Anyhow, I went into it not really looking for something to wear, but something to experiment with and just to get an all around feel for the craft of sculpting/molding/casting etc.

It took me a long ass time to sculpt it up (between school and such.) But when I finally did I was relieved as all hell. So, after that came the silicone molding process, then the plaster mold process. So much fun!!! Once that was done, the fun-fun-silly-willy part with the resin came. Now, I thought, at the time, I was buying the correct resin, but no. I totally read their chart wrong and bought the kind that begins to set after 15 minutes, and cures after 30. Alot of people will tell you how fast resin cures... sure. Depending on which kind you buy. Anyway, once I fingered it out, it was all money. Got it all cast up, painted and it's currently sitting on my bed. The mold is downstairs covered in trash bags. I need to redo the mother.

SO... to break it down -

$100 on clay. Find a local supplier. Shipping will hurt your brown eye.
$40 for the ultra-cal plaster. You might want to order more if your new to it. Be sure to mix it right. Also, be sure to get an N95 approved dust mask to use when you mix it. Ultra-cal contains alkaline. Same **** in batteries. Yup.
$150 on a 2-part resin plastic kit. Again make sure you order the kind that best fits your needs. Use in a well ventillated area, too. After awhile this **** makes you goofy. Not too cool, and not too hot. Otherwise it won't cure fast enough or too fast.

- Worth it? Oh hell yes. I loved every minute of it. And now I have something I made!

This is just kind of a broad generalization of what I did. IF you want I could write you up a more specific description. But this **** ain't cheap.

:p
Well, I had looked at it from many different angles, really. The unfortunate part is said in that last part. Roughly three hundred dollars for a mask... I'm thirteen. My age makes this hard because I don't have any job so money doesn't just pop up for me. Which is why I've been saving up to get to this point. Even mentioning that to a parent would make their jaws drop and their heads pop. I have roughly enough for a wristblade system, a way to modify a Rubies mask with backer rods, a way to create a bio-helmet, a wrist computer, and a plasmacaster. Anything else... I'll have to work for.