How do you fix creases and sags in a suit? *photos-10-13-06*

R

Round Hammer

I'm in the process of cleaning up the seams on my suit and I've found that there are a number of creases in the parts.
The creases aren't sharp, but you can tell they are there even when you hold the parts up. Is there anyway to get rid of these?

Also, the arms have armor sculpted onto them. These pieces of armor don't hold their shape when I put the arms on, should I bulk them up with cloth?
Should I spray some Touch and Foam expanding foam into them?

T

The Mortal Immortal

Fun foam is great to make latex keep its shape. You will need some head liner spray from the auto part store. Pre cut the foam to shape and spray on the glue on both pieces wait a few minutes then stick. This will make it still light weight and flexable.

R

Round Hammer

Thanks Immortal, I'll try that.

I have a crease that runs right along the chest, anyone know of a way to get rid of it?
Would it help to hang it up somewhere, let gravity do it's thing?

P

pirkleations

I wonder if warming up the piece and setting some heavy books on it will eliminate the seam. That's what I would try first.

Also, if it runs across the chest, rather than down the center, you might be able to turn it into a battle scar.

Can you show us a picture or two of it? That will help us in figuring out a way to help you better.

~DangerDavey

T

The Mortal Immortal

I have used a heatgun to pop latex back in to shape. I know its has to be a DB suit, don't know any other suit that has armor attached. A picture would be nice to give a better understanding of the problem.

R

Round Hammer

Sure, I can supply a picture. And you are correct, it is a DB suit.

T

The Mortal Immortal

Well it could have been a BDE suit, but it is rare that it would have any problems like that.

R

RaptorArts

I have the solution to all your problems... Gain some more weight and it will fit like a 2nd skin LOL!

Actualy just get some uppholstry foam and glue it into the parts that sag. Not that big of a problem really...

I

inkdoctor

i just recently got a pred 1 style suit from pete mander and the gauntlets are sculpted in. i was having the same problem and i wanted them firmer to support the resin tops. i just bought some fun foam like scott suggested and cut it the shape of the inside of the gauntlets. heated it up a bit over the stove and bent it to the shape and let it cool. you dont need to heat it much or youll start to melt it. then popped them inside the gauntlet parts and there very lightweight but nice and firm. as far as like the chest areas pete just used a poly foam and brushed a small amount on it to back it. it seemed to work well for that.

R

Round Hammer

Finally got pictures.

And here you can see one of the problem areas.

It looks like it's been sitting in the box doubled over onto itself for too long. I tried pulling on the latex to see if I could get the crease out that way, but it took some effort and I have no idea how to keep it from snapping back into it's old place once I let it go.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Shataan

I`d try gentle heat from a blow dryer while the suitskin is in a position you want it to be. It has a memory now to being folded over. Worth a try. Just be gentle.

T

The Mortal Immortal

It looks like the latex has stuck to its self on the back side. If that is the case you have to try to pull the two pieces apart. If they are really stuck together and can't be pulled apart. You need to take a razor and try to slice them apart very carefully. But if they not stuck to gether then I would use some cushion foam from wallmart 1/4 will work and glue and pull it back top shape. The heat gun will work to bring it back, ,but be careful not to burn the latex and have some ice cubes in a rag to cool it down fast. This will make it stay and return to shape. You can all so hang it from a hanger and put weight on the bottom edge of the torso to pull it back to shape after a few days.

P

pirkleations

Yah! Do what those other guys say and it should straighten out and fly right. Otherwise, I still like the battle-scar idea.

~DangerDavey