How much duct tape?

B

BurntKona

How much duct tape does a duct tape dummy need?

It's time to make a start on the 2006 suit. First stage for me is the bodysuit, and that means dummy. If anybody has an approximate guess of how much tape they used, it would be most appreciated. I don't want to be half wrapped then run out *gulp*

M

Maverick118

How long is a piece of string? It'll depend on your size and shape. Plus you can never have enough duct tape. If you're making one invest in some cellophane too to wrap yourself in as this will savin on putting the duct tape on old clothes or similar, also stops from having all your pody hair ripped off too. Just get several rolls and do either the lower or upper portion done, then if you run out you can always do the other at a later date.

S

Savage Yautja

i'd figure 2-3 60 - 66 yd rolls of the good gray duck brand duct tape. All depends on how you apply it.

P

pirkleations

No one tells a Navy man when he's had too much duct tape!!! No one!!!! *hic*

dAnGeRdAvEy

A

Akira Fudou xxx

hehe good lukc dude i tried it twice and failed twice if you suceed let me know how you did it hehe

PSHHH PSHHH PSHHH WHATS HAPPENING ?!!!!!!!!

B

BurntKona

Cheers all. Best buy stocks in the company, as both me and the missus need dummies making. With been saving all the material that would be useful to pack the dummies with, so I'm keen to get that done and out of the way.

Then a fun spring/summer of latex and resin.

M

Maverick118

Check out Vince's (raptorarts) website he's got a really good tutorial on there. Plus if you want to have them semi-rigid, don't forget some PVC tubing for an internal skeleton and then expanding foam to fill it with too. I've got three, an upper torso, one of my lower torso and one of my head. I'm hoping to get a full body one done real soon. The other thing you can do if you want them durable is to coat them with a layer of fibreglass, the plus side on doing this is it makes it hard wearing and waterproof and also gives your clay if you sculpt upon it a key to adhere to.

S

Shataan

I just did mine today. I used 3 rolls of duct tape. And let me tell you, it was an experience. Was cut out of it about 15 minutes ago. And use REALLY sharp scizzors. My Gods, as well, don`t put it on too bleeding tight either. lol I felt the unkindest cuts of all today, as those scizzors went up my legs, and inner arms to the armpitz.

addendum:

The mylar inner thing did not work. I ended up just hanging my ducktape dummy off of a hanger. So far have used 7 cans of Great Stuff. lol The bigger black cans no less. I am up to just below the chest area.

Letting it cure overnight, and tomorrow will let it stand on its legs so the shoulders can be relaxed/natural for the finishing fill. After that dries.... then will do a cleanup ducktape cover so it looks clean outward appearancewise.

Very cool way to make a dummy. It was awesome to run into that tutorial.

M

Maverick118

try laying some fibre glass over it, this will make it really durable. plus you'll be able to bolt a flange to the back and make a very sturdy stand for it too. I wanted to do a full body dummy too, but due to a lack of room I've done a upper and lower.

Shai tan

Hunter
I used 3 layers of duct tape for my ducttape dummy. But if I had to do it all over again, I`d use at least 5 layers. That way, when the frothpak foam ya use is curing, or whathave you foam, the 5 layers will keep the dummys shape better. Imho.