How to Duct Tape Dummy?

Drigan

Blooded
I am wanting to create a duct tape dummy of myself. I did a search but came up empty on how to create one. Is it as simple as wearing a long sleeve shirt and paints and then duct taping around the entire thing while wearing it? Then once removed filling it with foam or something like that?

Thanks for any info.

Rincewind

Unblooded
that's pretty much it. When I did mine I wrapped the knees a little loose so when I cut the tape and sweatpants I only had to cut from the ankle to the knee, then I had enough room to get my foot out. Doing that allowed the upper part of the legs to stay intact.

The upper body half was cut from wrist to mid-biceps, and straight up the back so it came off like a straightjacket.

If you use spray foam like "Great Stuff" prepare to use quite a few cans, and do NOT lay the dummy down while it cures. My first attempt at the legs on mine had to be redone because the foam spread out flat on the side touching the floor. Gave all new meaning to the term "flat ass".

I used air-filled shipping bags and old towels/rags/tshirts on the second try.

Also, if you are latexing a Mr. Incredible suit (or any suit) remember this: latex shrinks when it cures. And it WILL compress the dummy as it does. WHen I went to put on my suit after latexing it my chest was almost 7 inches bigger around than the suit was. It fit before, but not after.

I had to replace the zipper setup with a corset-style. I installed metal eyelets up each side of the zipper and used black shoelaces to lace it up, wearing a black long-sleeve UnderArmour athletic shirt underneath.

If you look close at the picture here you can see the "V" pattern up the back where the suit had to taper open to fit my chest and shoulders.

IMG_0308_1.jpg

Hope this helps you...

Drigan

Blooded
Helps me tremendously. Thank you sir! BTW, not sure if you saw my other post but love your suit and appreciate your log of building it!

Brandon

Blooded
I pulled it off an old post and kept it, glad i did cause a week later i couldn't find it.

Bovine13
I just did two duct tape dummys. Its real simple. Have you or your subject stand with feet a couple feet apart and arms slighly away from body. Enough room to get under arms and between legs, etc. Have some kind of stands or poles for your hands to rest on. Get a roll of plastic wrap and 3 rolls of duct tape ( depending on persons size). Get three to be safe. Wrap person in plastic wrap, making sure all is covered. Cut strips of duct tape. It helps to have someone cutting while your applying it. Cut some before hand also to get ahead start. It gets a little moist inside the plastic wrap waiting for tape. Apply the duct tape covering from mid neck, to end of wrist, and to bottom of ankle. One layer is fine. THe plastic wrap and duct tape need to be fairly snug to get a good likeness. Be careful not to do it too tight to cut off blood flow. Have some scissors with a rounded end to cut the tape and plastic wrap off at the same time. You can mark the suit with a marker before cutting it in different areas for alignment marks, i didnt and it went back together fairly easy. Once suit is off put it back together with duct tape using alignment marks or cut lines. Its easier than it sounds. Once its back together cut the suit down the spine area from the neck to the butt. Tape shut the wrists and ankles. Now, stuffing time. I used foam packing peanuts from Uhaul to pack both my dummies. It worked well and was pretty cheap. Took four or five bags per dummy. As you fill the dummy pack the peanuts down in the legs and arms with a pole or some thing. The mnore solid the better. As you fill the torso pack it in as well and tape up the spine as you fill. This makes access to the legs and arms easier. As you fill up, tape up. Depending on how your gonna stand it or hang it, put wood, pipe, pvc, or whatever in the legs before taping the ankles shut. If your gonna hang it, insert a heavy dutty hanger of some sort in the neck shoulder are and then tape the neck shut. Thats it. If its confusing, pm me and I will clarify. Hope this helped.

North Fl Hunter

Unblooded
that's pretty much it. When I did mine I wrapped the knees a little loose so when I cut the tape and sweatpants I only had to cut from the ankle to the knee, then I had enough room to get my foot out. Doing that allowed the upper part of the legs to stay intact.

The upper body half was cut from wrist to mid-biceps, and straight up the back so it came off like a straightjacket.

If you use spray foam like "Great Stuff" prepare to use quite a few cans, and do NOT lay the dummy down while it cures. My first attempt at the legs on mine had to be redone because the foam spread out flat on the side touching the floor. Gave all new meaning to the term "flat ass".

I used air-filled shipping bags and old towels/rags/tshirts on the second try.

Also, if you are latexing a Mr. Incredible suit (or any suit) remember this: latex shrinks when it cures. And it WILL compress the dummy as it does. WHen I went to put on my suit after latexing it my chest was almost 7 inches bigger around than the suit was. It fit before, but not after.

I had to replace the zipper setup with a corset-style. I installed metal eyelets up each side of the zipper and used black shoelaces to lace it up, wearing a black long-sleeve UnderArmour athletic shirt underneath.

If you look close at the picture here you can see the "V" pattern up the back where the suit had to taper open to fit my chest and shoulders.

IMG_0308_1.jpg

Hope this helps you...