Pestvic

Blooded
Ok so i took pictures of the blade i used here they are

photo-2.jpg

photo2-3.jpg

And the jigsaw i use. i dont know but maybe it might help? haha

photo3-1.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

and here is the acrylic i used. im almost posative this is the closest picture i could find to the label i remember. as you can see below i cut through my label and screwed that up :p

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhr...catalogId=10053

DSC00297.jpg

Anyway as you can see it can handle sharp and curve turns easy. the blade cuts very nicely but it cuts to well that it heats up pretty good and it melts the acrylic plastic a little but it doesnt affect the cut. here are some pics.

DSC00302.jpg

(Melted acrylic)
DSC00303.jpg

Here is what it looks like with the plasic on it while you cut. (keeps it stable)
DSC00299.jpg

here is the acrylic after the plastic is off (its like glass)
DSC00300.jpg

And here is what i did with my left over acrylic. i made a custom 24 master template for my 5A figured maple ;)
DSC00304.jpg

And here is what i did with my left over acrylic. i made a custom 24 master template for my 5A figured maple ;)
DSC00304.jpg

ha... I like your style, dude!

Ya know, ironically, that was THE SAME jigsaw I bought. I returned it yesterday though. I think I had plexiglass... not acrylic.

that sh!t exploded when I put the blade to it.

Sucks. Now I'm trying to figure out how to harden cardboard.

wood glue. Check. Fiberglass resin. Check. Luck? Nope.

Pestvic

Blooded
ha... I like your style, dude!

Ya know, ironically, that was THE SAME jigsaw I bought. I returned it yesterday though. I think I had plexiglass... not acrylic.

that sh!t exploded when I put the blade to it.

Sucks. Now I'm trying to figure out how to harden cardboard.

wood glue. Check. Fiberglass resin. Check. Luck? Nope.
haha yeah man plexy shatters :p why did you have to return the jigsaw?

id go back and buy the acrylic its sooo worth it ;)

Pestvic

Blooded
Here is how i cut my acrylic. keep it stabilized and secure when you cut, you shouldnt have any movement from the acrylic while you cut. here is my cutting pattern i do this on the top of the blades, then on the bottom, im the same cutting pattern. i never try to cut it all out at once.

howtocutblades.png

I use a band saw and I would recommend making cut 2 the first cut, as a relief cut.

This wouldn't be an issue with a jig saw but a band saw can’t be pulled out, only backed out. So a shorter relief cut would work better for band saw.

Pestvic

Blooded
true master i didnt think of that. im sure it would help a jigsaw as well though.

i havent updated this :D i started the enclosure for the blades and painted the wooden block. but i havent decided on what spring mechanism to use yet. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks :eek:

Rabbit

Blooded
do you think a dremel would be able to cut these out and bevel them? i only have a dremel and no jig, i tried cutting plexiglass to no luck.

Wow not only do you make some Awesome looking blades but you are kind enough to share the secrets with the rest of us. Thanks a lot dude rock on budget building i love it!lol

Nimri

Unblooded
So if I were to get all the materials you listed at the beginning and I only have a dremel, would I be able to make these? Also how are you making your gauntlet body and what materials do you use? Ive been wanting to do this for a long time and i couldn't find a method that was affordable xD and so far yours is the most affordable

Pestvic

Blooded
So if I were to get all the materials you listed at the beginning and I only have a dremel, would I be able to make these? Also how are you making your gauntlet body and what materials do you use? Ive been wanting to do this for a long time and i couldn't find a method that was affordable xD and so far yours is the most affordable
Yep! I just used plexy, jigsaw and a dremel. Worked great! Work slow so the plexy doesn't crack. I am using kydex for the armies and gauntlets currently :) thanks man!

Nimri

Unblooded
Ah ok awesome! Would you be able to use a saw blade that comes with the dremel rather than a jigsaw or no? Cuz I don't have access to a jigsaw yet but I have a dremel and I can get the materials (hopefully XD). And where do you get the kydex again? You said Walmart?