Human-Like Predator

P

PredatrHuntr

The eyes really make this guy look human...awesome drawing. Not mine...I found it on AVP

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tjm023

I personaly like the eyes on the P1 and P2. The human eyes on AVP, IMO, make the predators look soft and takes away from their menacing look. Nice drawing though.

Tom

S

Savage Yautja

Say it ain't so! Those eyes make him look like the fire has gone out from his soul. Just a sad, lost, empty, hunter, too depressing. Change the eyes and you've got a much better image. His expression is depressing me.

S

siliconsara

I guess I am gonna go against the grain and give my praise for this drawing. I personally love those eyes, and it shows this Predator as something more than just "the demon that hunts man".

If I could contact the artist, I'd ask for a print!

P

predmandb

I like the art work but a predator is a hunter. With those soft eyes it looks like a soft cuddly dog that will bite your head off after you get suckered into petting it!!!

T

The Big Gunns

I like it... his expression is something we dont normally see.

~Mel

P

PredatoRob

The drawing and coloring are fantastic and very portrait like. However the creatures elongated snout area and chin kill it for me. It looks like a completely different creature. There's nothing "Predator" about it. The eyes make him too "human" looking and soft. He looks like he's either really bored or tired. A very uncharacteristic look for a creature that has a natural scowl (in my opinion.)

Other than that it's very kickass, and galaxies beyond anything I could ever do with color. I just don't like the pose or the ADI influences.

M

MoviesColin

I like it!!

Looks like an elder that can no longer fight or hunt like he used to.

There's no fun in his way of life anymore, he has gotten old and cannot move like he used to.

Very depressing, but not many drawings can summon up a feeling like that!

A

alien hunt44

i dont know, i kinda like it.
its like a hibrid, but i prefere the real scary look.
great job

S

Savage Yautja

Looks like it belongs in the Masterpiece board game sort of a n American Gothic look to it.

S

siliconsara

I got ahold of the artist, and he said (as I suspected, he said I "hit the nail on the head") that he was trying to portray the Predators as something more than just some scare and scream movie monster. A creature with culture and a deep background.

It's almost kinda like a National Geographic picture...if one were to ever be taken so well. =D

P

PredatoRob

Originally Posted by Siliconsara:

scare and scream movie monster
That's what he is, and that's what he does. He should be portrayed exactly as such... no more, no less. He's not here to make friends, show his depth as a being, or sleep with human women. He's here to do one thing... kill. He should shock the hell out of audiences... make them cringe, and gag, not fall in love.

S

siliconsara

Unlike you, I am not trying to express my views of the Predators as a given fact, whereas you are. Before you spout the "holiness" that is the first two movies, you have to look at AVP as well. Rather you like it or not, Anderson took some of that monster aspect away, and instead put a veil of mystery around them instead. The Aliens were the ones to make the audience "gag" and were the villains.

And once again, I am bundled into the ball of stereotype that I am some mindless fangirl who is only interested in de-monsterizing a monster with hearts and romance and love.

I guess it's a crime to want to show the Yautja as an actual species with a culture and history, and give them depth.

That doesn't mean I am trying to make them into "not monsters".

Bundling every single Predator as a hack-n-slash movie monster with the character palette of cardboard is like bundling the entire human race into the stereotype of something like selfish weak pigs.

P

PredatrHuntr

Opinions and views need to be respected. I think we all see the Predator in our own way. Like Rob, I see the Predator as a hunter and a killer. But back on his home planet, he probably kicks back and has a good laugh and some brewskies every now and then.

Remember in P1 at the end of the movie when Arnie was going to smash the Pred with a rock, and the Pred started laughing? That shows emotion - humor. He doesnt kill everyone. He won't kill unarmed people (unless they try to burn him like Lance Hendrikson).

If your imagination is good enough you can even picture the Predator in the Cantina (the bar in Star Wars) drinking everyone under the table! He'd be stumbling around picking fights and arm wrestling with anyone who dared.

When he's not on a hunt, I picture the Predator as a hybrid Klingon and Hells Angels bad ass biker. Not one you would want to fuck with...

P

PredatoRob

Sara, I wasn't trying to lump you into some stereotype fan-girl category. We each have our own interpretations of the creature. Just because that's my view, or interpretation doesn't make it right in anyway. That's just my opinion.

It's also my opinion that Anderson did way more harm to the character than any kind of good. He tried to reinvent something that didn't need to be fixed. Had this movie been the opposite whereas they were big chinned softies in the previous 2 films, and then turned into horrific, intense, brutal, monster/intergalactic super-killers, I probably would've been all about Anderson and AVP. However this was not the case, and I will fight to the death about it.

If it weren't for Predator in my youth I probably would've spent the many weekends I did drawing him; out doing all kinds of drugs and getting drunk and I'd probably be some poor kids dad by now. And as retarded as it sounds, it's true. So, in thanks, I give much credit to the original creature and it's previous movies. Some people find other outlets to battle the vices of life, I chose the Predator creature. I may be one fucked up individual who idolised an intergalactic murderer, but I'd rather be that than a junkie. And to see his image destroyed by ONE movie I get mad, and it takes a lot to get me mad. The most angering part of it all is NO ONE will remember how they used to look, only the big chinned clumsy retards who were in AVP. I am not disrespecting Ian Whyte in anyway by that statement. I blame Anderson for the suit design. It was probably very hard for someone who'd never acted in a suit before to pull off his performance in a suit that was an unnecessarily over-bulked suit. None of the previous Predators were ripped, but I guess big muscles makes them better, huh!!!!???? Perhaps Ian would've had an easier time performing in something that wasn't so big and over proportioned. I don't know, that's just my thought.

Anderson did not pull a vail of mystery over the Predator race. He was an UBER Alien fan to begin with. If they were to all be riding in a car together, Anderson would be driving, his balls in shotgun, the Alien in the back seat, and the Predator dragging behind ala "National Lampoons Vacation" style. The Predators were already mysterious enough. The only people who did any good for the Predators were the artists, and they had shit time to work. So to them I say BRAVO!!!

So, to clarify... most guys choose cars, or baseball, or football, or basketball. Some guys go right into drugs. Some guys become obsessed with movies, but me, I went with Predator. If that makes me a nerd, or whatever, that's fine. And I'm sorry if I see what I am passionate about become defaced, smudged, or defiled, then yes I am going to get pissed off. So, to that I say, bring it.

S

siliconsara

And I'm sorry if I see what I am passionate about become defaced, smudged, or defiled, then yes I am going to get pissed off. So, to that I say, bring it.
If the picture above and/or AVP is your definition of "defilement and defacement"...I wouldn't touch this conversation with a 10 foot pole, which is why I am leaving it as it is, because there is no use debating someone who has a very warped perception in terms of defacement.

AVP was not defacement, Forever Midnight WAS defacement. But, to each his own.

It's unfortunate that you think that way. I guess I am nothing but a "defacer", even though I am still a devoted Predator fan. But whatever.