Humanoid Creatures ?

zealwing

Hunter
Hi guys have a problem I'm trying to come up with a creature of course this monster is in alien but like predator I want to make him sort of more humanoid pumpkinhead and a lot of film monsters were made very Humanoid characters due to the budget and a few things that would limit the fx

I'm just wondering do you guys prefer Humanoid monsters and creatures or none Humanoid characters for Alien chareacter, I ask this because every time I sit down and think of in idea for creature it always ends up coming out like a Humanoid ! forgive me if you guys can not understand what I mean its very hard for me to write what I really want to say at times so it all comes down to do you perfer to see a monster alien as more Humanoid or compeley diffent more like insects and othere bizzare looks like some sea life.

Blood Seeker

Unblooded
For myself I've always found the humanoid creature to be scarier as it's possible for someone to infer the link between humanity (And all the evilness those creatures entail) and the creature whereas if it's just a nasty blob or something you just see a nasty blob with no internal motive supplied by the viewer.

Did that make sense?

carlart

Hunter
Gotta disagree there.
Totally alien is scarier, humanoid resemblence is less frightening. Where there is familiarity, there is comfort.

carlart

Blood Seeker

Unblooded
Ah yeah but you're probably normal, I know what's in my brain!

Lets put it like this I use the word "human" as an insult.

Sara

Hunter
Gotta disagree there.
Totally alien is scarier, humanoid resemblence is less frightening. Where there is familiarity, there is comfort.

carlart
In the case of a creature like the Predator, the Humanoid body, coupled with the totally not-Human face, could be a nice way for some really profound scares. Thats what is great about their bio mask. With it, they can pass as Human in the shadows. But without it, it's like looking at walking irony of some sort....Humanish upright body, face like a goddamn train wreck. [Or in my case, Saturday night date! Rowl!]

And how can we forget Pennywise the clown? Very Human looking, but he scares me more than any other movie monster in existence.

I find that these examples use phycological fear, instead of visual fear. It's fear of something that seems mundane [A humanoid body, a clown] but then when the truth is revealed, it becomes a worst nightmare because our first visual cues suddenly betray us, and the scares then pounce and consume without any prior warning.

Ice

Hunter
Having a 8 leged creature running after you is much scaryer them a 2 leged Humanoid. But that's me and my dreams I have... :)

PredatrHuntr

Veteran Hunter
Do you remember the Alien from the first movie when you got to see it coming out of the inner workings of the ship? I thought that was a lot scarier than when I saw the Predator for the first time. Predator for the first time, I was like "COOOOOOL!"

zealwing

Hunter
Gotta disagree there.

carlart
Carl, I have to agree with you on this one I guess its just human for us to make characters that are more humanoid like us but it is better to have a totally different mind set and create things that are very different like some of things we saw in the film the thing, after all it is in Alien a monster, but what has me thinking is why is it that are most famous monsters or aliens are more Humanoid then anything else for example the predator hr giger's Alien the creature from the black lagoon, punkinhead, species, and a few others I cant remember, there were a lot in the 1950s also, but I think it was just because there were limited buy there budget or technology and so the design had to change due to how difficult it would be to create this character on the screen. and I want to thank you guys for sharing your thoughts with me its really interesting to see your opinions.